Go to deer rifle

Probably my Browning A-bolt Stainless .30-06, topped with a Leupold VXII. Being stainless, no weather worries. But that means I would have to leave others in the safe-thank God for many days of deer hunting between NY and Pennsylvania. 

Will

• Like 1

That buck was a prize winner in a side bet/big buck contest among some fellow forum members here.  I think they were pizzed I pulled that buck out of my nether region late in the season and stole the pot.   Maybe we can do it again this year since we took a year off last

They were probably
More upset that you shot it
At night!

• Like 1

Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker with walnut stock.  chambered in 30-06 Spring.  light gun.  22" bbl. drop out box mag.  60 degree throw chromed bolt.  Nikon 3-9x40mm to match.  not the most accurate but sub-MOA and enough that i've take deer out around 300+ yards.  had a buck on a dead run 50 or so yards out through the timber.  rolled him on the second shot.  skinning it out both bullet holes were no more than 2" apart.  it's revered DMAP filler too on co-op grounds.  it fits me like one of my own arms and handles like a dream for me. crisp trigger just under 3lbs. Took a pic. Bad light in basement.

e12cb347ef6fe5497f4f8962b5ccaaea.jpg

Edited by dbHunterNY
Picture added
  • Like 3

Remington 7600 in 35 whelen or 7600p in 358 win are #1's, tikka T3 35 whelen would be 2nd new to the collection is a new cva in 35 whelen that is at the shop getting a chop job as I type. All wear leupolds and are all or will soon be carbines. I almost always have my glock 20 or 21 on my side while gun hunting 10mm/400corbon both would be bad medicine for a deer or bear as well.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Interesting choices.

You don't see many Dakota's listed in these types of threads and even less so a single shot. As unique as when I list a Blaser or a Jarrett for a favorite rig.

Good stuff.

I'm basically a SS Slut... and I prefer wood / blue. That said, the Sako wears a McMillan synthetic, The Dakota 97 is synthetic and the Ruger has a laminated stock! 

• Like 1

LOL Bugsy !

I DO have a laminate stock on my M70, but at least it is still WOOD...Nearly everything else I own is walnut and blued.

Stainless steel rifles and scopes remind me of General Patton's comment about pearl grips on a revolver..." Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl handled revolver ! "

5 hours ago, Pygmy said:

LOL Bugsy !

I DO have a laminate stock on my M70, but at least it is still WOOD...Nearly everything else I own is walnut and blued.

Stainless steel rifles and scopes remind me of General Patton's comment about pearl grips on a revolver..." Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl handled revolver ! "

now that you say that... silly me I keep forgetting to make a trip down there to collect.  I could show you around sometime.  I could probably fit you into a short time slot in my schedule.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pygmy said:

LOL Bugsy !

LOL. I never could show the love on SS rifles / BBL's with silver scopes. 

Winchester muzzle stuffer. Bushnell Elite 3x9 firefly scope. 250 grain shockwaves with 2 50 grain 777 pellets. From beginning of gun season thru ML season. Love the way it shoots, feels and deer are sure to be dead when I pull the trigger. I've killed more deer with it than my shotguns.  Never shoot at running deer or need to shoot more than once. I just don't feel as comfortable with my Winny 1300 or Remington 870 deer set ups. The Super Blackhawk .44 will be tagging along for sure this year.

A little under 7 3/4 lbs including scope

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's not bad at all. I have Never owned a Weatherby because they are to pretty for me to take a saw to but a under 8lb 300 is a great do all gun for sure. My tikka t3 300wsm is a nice light gun that I bought for a western hunt that fell through, it now has a nice n loud 18" barrel.

• Like 1

That's not bad at all. I have Never owned a Weatherby because they are to pretty for me to take a saw to but a under 8lb 300 is a great do all gun for sure. My tikka t3 300wsm is a nice light gun that I bought for a western hunt that fell through, it now has a nice n loud 18" barrel.

I could never take a saw to my Weatherby. It's too perfect

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For 25 years my go to is my Ruger 77 ultralight, in .308 with a Leupold 1.5x5. It was bedded, with Timney Trigger and competition firing pin and spring. Despite the xtras, not the worlds most accurate with the light bbl, but it was dependable, and I knew what it would do. Several years ago it was placed in semi retirement for a mid 50s production Savage 99 in .308, which is my current standard. It is capable of better accuracy (much better), and simply feels perfect carrying. Despite that, this fall I am hoping to hunt primarily with a resurrected Krag Jorgenson. Just because.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

For 25 years my go to is my Ruger 77 ultralight, in .308 with a Leupold 1.5x5. It was bedded, with Timney Trigger and competition firing pin and spring. Despite the xtras, not the worlds most accurate with the light bbl, but it was dependable, and I knew what it would do. Several years ago it was placed in semi retirement for a mid 50s production Savage 99 in .308, which is my current standard. It is capable of better accuracy (much better), and simply feels perfect carrying. Despite that, this fall I am hoping to hunt primarily with a resurrected Krag Jorgenson. Just because.

Dang !!  The Good Lord loves a romantic !!

This fall I may just use a resurrected  1903-A3 Springfield...Just because....