do you need a hunting license for that? Probably not.

no hunting license is  needed in Wyoming to hunt predatory animals.

"predatory animal” is defined as any coyote, jackrabbit, porcupine, raccoon, red fox, skunk, crow, starling, sparrow, Eurasian collared or inca doves,  or stray cat; and gray wolves except where they are designated as trophy game animals.

Is that how it is by you?

game animals and trophy animals are under the Game and Fish jurisdiction. they have seasons and often are a limited draw to keep hunting quality higher, both animals size and quality of experience, for instance unit 55 Elk which I am in has 250,000 acres or so, it is limited to 25 archery permits a year in lottery draw.

then there are non game and predatory animals, predators like jackrabbits (yes, jackrabbits) are governed by the department of agriculture..bottom line if it can eat or destroy something a farmer raises you can kill it no season no license no limit non-residents too.

ranchers and farmers, anyone trying to make a living come first, period.

To understand Wyoming you have to be over 50 years old and remember what it was like as a kid;  if you drank out of a garden hose, rode your bike all over without a helmet, sat out the back window of a station wagon or rode in the back of a pickup everywhere in summer, if you sat on your dad's lap and drove down main street, if all your stores in town closed at 5pm and no one was open on a sunday then you will be right at home in most of Wyoming, its still like that, the good and the bad of the old days.

part of that is its your yard your property you do what you want on it, that includes shooting something that is there you don't want there.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

game animals and trophy animals are under the Game and Fish jurisdiction. they have seasons and often are a limited draw to keep hunting quality higher, both animals size and quality of experience, for instance unit 55 Elk which I am in has 250,000 acres or so, it is limited to 25 archery permits a year in lottery draw.

then there are non game and predatory animals, predators like jackrabbits (yes, jackrabbits) are governed by the department of agriculture..bottom line if it can eat or destroy something a farmer raises you can kill it no season no license no limit non-residents too.

ranchers and farmers, anyone trying to make a living come first, period.

To understand Wyoming you have to be over 50 years old and remember what it was like as a kid;  if you drank out of a garden hose, rode your bike all over without a helmet, sat out the back window of a station wagon or rode in the back of a pickup everywhere in summer, if you sat on your dad's lap and drove down main street, if all your stores in town closed at 5pm and no one was open on a sunday then you will be right at home in most of Wyoming, its still like that, the good and the bad of the old days.

part of that is its your yard your property you do what you want on it, that includes shooting something that is there you don't want there.

Kinda what has been working on many properties round here for years.  At least one state has it right!

• Like 2

So how are real estate prices and land availability? Looking for a non warm place to retire...

For the most part, dirt cheap like any depressed area of NY or the US. But at least in WY you got several big game species (sheep, goat, WT, MD, lopes, bear, lion, moose, etc.). Way better than NY for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, growalot said:

So how are real estate prices and land availability? Looking for a non warm place to retire...

Well, it's hot here, in summer.  its high desert sage steppe I think the bird people from Cornell classify it as, something like that anyway.

Most of the land is public, we can ride on horseback from our house over 17 Million Acres of public land, you can cross country ski into Yellowstone, so private land for sale ? there is a lot for sale but not a lot that is good land, and low supply/ high demand you can guess the prices.

it's 97 degrees with 11% humidity and breezy right now. We get around 275 days of sun a year. its intense sun too.

we live in the snow shadow of the Absaroka range of the Rockies so we don't get much snow average is 32" for the winter, which is a lot here compared to the rest of the county.

we get 9 inches of rain a year. it never gets more than minus 20 here and that for only a day or two.

Taxes are very low,  cost of living is much less than east, about 30% less, there is no stress, tons of room ( the county we live in Park is about the 3/4 size of the state of Vermont with a population of 20,000 people, half of which live in the county seat of Cody).

Big game animals abound, in fact every big game mammal found in the lower 48 lives in our county, furbearers, small game, we have central and pacific flyway, swans, cranes, peilicans, birds, oh, you would go cross eyed if I listed all the animals here.

the real estate prices reflect the quality of life and scenery....think waterfront in the hamptons, bar harbor, etc. several neighbors have houses for sale from $899,000 to 10 million, these places even on a lake in NY would be in the $250,000 range tops!

there is a seasonal camp near us for sale, 2 bedroom1 bath, no winter access no water ( haul it in), not a great location, 1000sq ft I think it might be if you stretch it, 14 acres of sagebrush and Cliffside, top of ridge living,  $300k which means he is looking for a fast sale.

any savings in cost of living is made up in high mortgages.

It isn't worth it to many people, driving 25 miles one way to the nearest store is a pain they say, especially when its closed.

but its good for us, we like looking out the window and watching 5 elk and 3 calves walk past our mailbox an hour ago, bear wolf and mountain lion tracks are in the corrals constantly, bighorn sheep are so common except in the heat of summer that we call them Jerk Sheep because they are a real pain in the butt under foot all the time.

deer kick the windows until we go out and give them a treat, rabbits hop up to your feet for a drink, herds of chukars run back and forth calling until you have to go inside to hear yourself think.

a golden eagle is perched on a rock across the driveway right now and is ignoring my wife who is shooting right past him/her sighting in her new scope on our  front yard 400 yard range

you know what? that $300k is a steal....plus if you don't want to hike hunt shoot fish horseback ride, etc etc you cn always go into Yellowstone park and poke around, it's closer than the store. I need to button up this plumbing project then we are heading into the forest and maybe YNP to see the buffler, they are in full rut now and its a good show.

call John Kendrick ( original pioneer family in Wyoming so if he don't know the answer no one does) he is a Mossy Oak Properties Real estate Broker, PM me for his email and cell, tell him RJ in Wapiti sent you.

how can I send a photo from my cell phone to here?? is there a way? dang...he flew off got a couple blurry shots I'll share when I figure out how.