Food plot

Hi all- 2 years ago I did a plot about an acre. Half clover, half brassica. The deer seemed to like the brassica more. What is your experience with deer in your area.

Replanting this year and trying to figure out if I should split it again. Is 3 different things too much for one acre? Anything else I should be? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If your new to the food plot world, a mix is probably better. until you know what your deer prefer. Cant beat clover or brassicas, but you just need to know what times of the year these are preferred. Planting clovers with brassicas(in the next week or 2) the clovers will grow slow, because they build a root system first, but come next spring, your clovers will look much better and be the 1st green food source out of the ground in April. an acres worth of brassica wont last too long, depending on your deer densities. There is a lot to take into it, but what are you trying to achieve? Feed the herd, or harvest deer, bow or gun... etc..

If your new to the food plot world, a mix is probably better. until you know what your deer prefer. Cant beat clover or brassicas, but you just need to know what times of the year these are preferred. Planting clovers with brassicas(in the next week or 2) the clovers will grow slow, because they build a root system first, but come next spring, your clovers will look much better and be the 1st green food source out of the ground in April. an acres worth of brassica wont last too long, depending on your deer densities. There is a lot to take into it, but what are you trying to achieve? Feed the herd, or harvest deer, bow or gun... etc..

Harvest deer. Mainly to keep the deer in the area. There isn't a ton of food on my property so deer seem to just pass through. When I had the plot in, we saw more deer all year.

Typically you want to plant a broad leaf plant such as Brassicas with your clover as they will shield the clover prior to them getting established and gives the clover a fighting chance from overgrazing. A great combo is Pasja turnips (they tolerate grazing very well) along with a white Ladino clover. Cant beat that combo. Good luck

• Like 1

You stated deer liked Brassica more,I assume that during deer season, clover is important spring and summer as well as winter..they will dig to get at it, brassica takes a lot of nutrients out of your soil and that adds to cost every year. I has a small plot get wiped out before season Last two years so I've gone with larger plots and or mixed clover or grain into them..

plant our Hitlist Clover with brassica blend.  You will have fall food and than left with a nice perennial plot of clover come spring.

If I mix them will the clover get enough sun even if the brassica is bigger?

First determine your soil type and plot size and that will dictate how much lime you will need to get your soil up that 1 point to 7 (neutral). Your goal is to get your soil neutral for your clover however your brassicas can handle a slightly acidic soil and 6 is fine for their application. 

First determine your soil type and plot size and that will dictate how much lime you will need to get your soil up that 1 point to 7 (neutral). Your goal is to get your soil neutral for your clover however your brassicas can handle a slightly acidic soil and 6 is fine for their application. 

Pretty sure it's clay. It's a little less than an acre.

If i recall correctly  one of my plots was about the size of yours and my Ph was in the high 5"s and i had 2 tons delivered.  The 2 tons should be just fine in your application.  If you can spare the extra change go with pelletized lime as oppossed to crushed white lime, saves on time, much less dust and less waste. Can get it at local agway for like 4.99 for 40lb. Bags or in your instance have it delivered in bulk and save some money. Depending on access to the plot they may even spread it for you for free or a small fee. Atleast thats what my agway offered years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
yes.  The brassica act as a cover crop for the white clovers.  Most of the growth of the whites will take place under ground during the fall.  Come spring they will pop! Brassica and clover go well together.

Ok. People at the seed place advised against mixing the clover in but I did it anyway and I will also frost seed in the spring. Brassica mix with white clover. Let's see how it goes!

• Like 1