Delaware county

left field

Hey - just purchased 25 acres in DC with a small cabin.

Never hunted by gun (have hunted rats with dogs), but when in Rome. Probably looking to hunt grouse and small game initially as I work up the skill for deer. Have seen grouse, turkey, coyote and deer, as well as a fisher which was a thrill. Currently working with a forester to better the wildlife habitat. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So I put a couple of game cams up last week. One on a game trail in the woods which caught the same young doe for a few days and the other on the back of my pond as I saw a lot of tracks and figured I would capture a variety of animals drinking.

Like a trusting guy (idiot) I put the pond camera on an exposed tree, but one that's 500' from the cabin road, down a long driveway, past my cabin and at the back of my pond. I didn't lock it. It's gone.

Do I need a game cam to watch my next game cam? Fake cam to catch them with a well-hidden cam? Best security?

Extremely pissed as it's probably someone I've invited onto the property to quote or do some work. Welcome to Delaware County.

• Like 1

More likely it's people that have hunted it for generations before you bought it and don't want your cameras showing who they are.

What do the tracks tell you?

How many people were there, men,  women, kids? 

Where did they go in and out, by car, atv, foot?

Did they just walk through, hunt, fish, trap, scout, that will tell you who they are and why they're coming through

^^

Maybe. Most of the hunters up there have their own property bordering mine. 

No unique tracks as this camera was just off a cut area near a small cabin.

No idea how many people were there and they could have driven onto the property. No ATV track nearby. 

No idea what they were doing other than trespassing. I had the local kid/hunter cut the grass and he saw nothing. But I really don't know him, so who knows? As I have zero proof, I'm just letting it go and getting smarter.

Thanks. 

Edited by left field

3 minutes ago, left field said:

^^

Maybe. Most of the hunters up there have their own property bordering mine. 

No unique tracks as this camera was just off a cut area near a small cabin.

No idea how many people were there and they could have driven onto the property. No ATV track nearby. 

No idea what they were doing other than trespassing. I had the local kid/hunter cut the grass and he saw nothing. But I really don't know him, so who knows? As I have zero proof, I'm just letting it go and getting smarter.

Thanks. 

I would still post your property. I have wandered off sometimes not even realizing I walked into someone else's land as it was not posted.

6 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

I would recommend res posting the property. This will at least show people you are serious about trespassing and that their is a new land owner. Did the old owner inform anyone with previous rights that they sold it?

I would still post your property. I have wandered off sometimes not even realizing I walked into someone else's land as it was not posted.

No one had hunting rights and they certainly didn't have rights to steal cameras.

At first I didn't want to be that posting guy. No one else has boundaries posted other than a No Trespassing sign at the gate. But now, screw it. A gate goes up next week which may at least keep cars on the road. A few more cameras up high covering the driveway and cabin.

Never posted before, what are the rules? I see you need a name and address - is that the property address or the address you reside at? 

Thanks.

And back to what matters, I passed my Hunter's Ed course last night in the Bronx. I'm sure the deer are trembling. 

Congrats on getting licensed, You put the address of the property that is being posted. It's your property you shouldn't feel bad about keeping people out who won't have the same respect for it as you will. Good luck. I'm located in Astoria.

Thanks. As I am brand spanking new and pretty much on my own, I figure I have a larger learning curve with a clean shot on a deer than a grouse, but maybe I have that wrong.

I may go for a .17HMR for small game, 20 gauge for bird and am considering a bow for deer. There are a lot of rifle hunters down my road, but I think it's pretty quiet during bow season. Either way that will be next year.

This fall will be spent chasing large browns in the WB above the reservoir. (And dreaming of Iceland.)

Edited by left field

I would opt for .22 small game..cheaper ammo. And.less noise, I second the 20 for birds and get a slug barrel.for.gunfor deer z, bow is fun and will.make you a better hunter as you learn to get close to game.  A deers.vitals is about the size of a10 in plate. Lot easier to hit than a grouse..or a wood.cock

Sorry - had some trouble with the quote function. Is there a way to delete a post?

AT - probably a dumb question, but how would the calibre affect accuracy?

G-Man - happy to consider other options. Any other recommendations? Why not the .17HMR? I do like the lever action of the Henry, but that could be coming from watching too many episodes of The Rifleman.

Thanks.

A 17 hmr is higher velocity, hit a squirrel with one and you kill it but there isn't anything left to speAK of.. it was designed for predator/non game species like woodchucks at further ranges. (Most people do not eat) even a head shot consistently on a squirrel may rip the animal apart. 

A .22 is slower but still let's you shoot to 100 yards or so effectively ,doesn't cause much meat loss in your game. They come in lever action (I have a couple lever action .22 winchester, remmington and Henry as well as marlin) the benifit of a lever is most will shoot short,long,and long rifle. Giving you options for plinkin and various ranges to hunt .

All game in nys could effectively be taken with a 20ga, shotgun and a .22. If you get into predator hunting a shotgun wit buckshot and a.223 for longer range shots could be added. 

If your hunting in managed woods for deer your shot will be much closer and a shotgun will be very effective, yes you could upgrade to a rifle but why do you need a gun that shoots 300 yards plus when you can only see 75 thru the woods? The argument is accuracy but with today's slugs and barrels a 1 or 2 in group at 75 or 100 yards is very achevable with a scope, or practice with opensights.

There is my 2 cents...lol

• Like 1

As for gates or chain/cable on drive.. if it's closed and locked everyone knows your not there. Ask any local they know when the woods are safe to roam. May make it harder to break into a building and cart off the stuff right into a vehicle but as for trespassing  it's a sign I'm not here..  best deterrent is to have a friend drive in and out at random days and times. Make some tire tracks in fresh snow.. it confuses people as they don't know if your there or not.. 

• Like 1

Should I start a separate thread for idiotic first timer questions or just keep them here? Here? Okay.

Trying to navigate the license page.

Looks like I need:

Hunting License $22 which gives me most animals

Turkey Permit $10 (if I decided to hunt them) and for Woodcock I need to register with HIP 

Deer Management Permit $10

I'm not sure I see whether I need to or where and how to apply for specific deer tags section for my area which I think is 4O.

Again, thanks.

Edited by left field

3 hours ago, left field said:

Should I start a separate thread for idiotic first timer questions or just keep them here? Here? Okay.

Trying to navigate the license page.

Looks like I need:

Hunting License $22 which gives me most animals

Turkey Permit $10 (if I decided to hunt them) and for Woodcock I need to register with HIP 

Deer Management Permit $10

I'm not sure I see whether I need to or where and how to apply for specific deer tags section for my area which I think is 4O.

Again, thanks.

4O needs a preference point if I remember correctly, so unless you have one you'll definitely get denied, but you'll have one in the bank for next year......if I was you I'd go 4O first choice and 4P second, you may have a shot at 4P which is right next to you, or worse case you'll have a preference point for next year. The DECALS system should walk you through how to apply. 

• Like 1