How many camp in a tent?

Geno C

Me and my friends get together for some camp trips every so often and we all use tents. We love it.... We all have a air matress so the girls dont complain about sleeping bags in a hard floor lol. The cooking is the best part! last trip we had more then enough share of beverages of choice but the food we all ate was unreal! we ate like kings and we all ate family style for 18 people. good times, cant wait for this season

• Like 1

sound like a good time. I did camp in the past with a tent, but now 69 my days of laying on the ground are about over. I now love the finer things, a bed, shower, and Tv after hunting and or just going to a 3D shoot like Coudersport PA for the traditional shoot and or love the WHitney point sportmen shoots, go to there once a month.

I don't do enough camping, really do enjoy it.  The past few years a friend and I have camped and hunted the early muzzle loader season and that included the youth hunt in PA.  We have had a blast and some success also!  We use separate tents and try to concoct some kind of eating area out of a Jerry rigged tarp.

Food is almost always finer and the beer colder when camping.

CIMG0233.jpg

CIMG0235.jpg

CIMG0234.jpg

• Like 2

I have a 4 man dome tent that I bought back in '83. I use it all the time, even though I have the camper................for a single nights stay over or a quick two nighter hunting trip.

The most memorable trip was to Snowy Mtn. Peak, just south of Indian Lake. Last weekend of Oct. me and two buddies hiked in for a two day hunting trip........it started to rain @ 10 pm, I woke up at 5am with 10" of fresh snow on the ground.

It was a real treat prying the tent loose from the frozen leafs the next day. LOL

FDXX75

I have a 4 man dome tent that I bought back in '83. I use it all the time, even though I have the camper................for a single nights stay over or a quick two nighter hunting trip.

The most memorable trip was to Snowy Mtn. Peak, just south of Indian Lake. Last weekend of Oct. me and two buddies hiked in for a two day hunting trip........it started to rain @ 10 pm, I woke up at 5am with 10" of fresh snow on the ground.

It was a real treat prying the tent loose from the frozen leafs the next day. LOL

FDXX75

how did you stay warm in there with 10" of snow lol im sure you have heaters but how did you vent them?

nice pics LAw! thats a nice deer camp! never went that route but it sure does look fun!

Thanks, we don't want for much when camping!  I'll check and see if I have some other shots from this past fall.  Good thing you can't hear the generator running in the pics! 8)

Edit to add:

Pics from 10/2010

Just so there's no confusion here, one dude to a tent please............

Hunting2010021.jpg

The camper was added to be used as a "mess hall" last fall.......

Hunting2010007-1.jpg

Beef jerky?  You tell me :) ............

Hunting2010004.jpg

FDXX75

how did you stay warm in there with 10" of snow lol im sure you have heaters but how did you vent them?

Geno,

The first night was not so bad, as the temps. started out warm and then dropped very quickly. I knew immediately upon waking up it was considerably colder than the night before and could tell we had snow by looking at the sides of the tent. The temps. went up into the high 30's that day, just enough to melt the snow soft and make everything mushy/wet, then started dropping again. That afternoon, the last guy hiked in to stay the night and hunt in the morning, he carried in a small cooker/heater unit with a small propane tank...................we set it up in the tent to take the chill off, BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

The combination of heat, our warm breath and the extreme cold temps. outside..........................the moisture on the inside of the tent froze (@1/4" of ice) I slept in my hunting clothes that night and still froze my arse off.  That was the last time we attempted to tent camp that late int he season or at that high of an elevation.

Break down of camp was a treat, tent was frozen to the ground, ice inside and out.................what a mess. I wound up rolling the tent up in a ball and carrying it out under my arm. It hung in my basement for a week drying out..................................LOL.

All the fun and excitement of tent camping, an O the memories.

FDXX75

We sure have gotten pretty spoiled. My first hunting trip back when I was still in high school was spent with a couple of hunting buddies on top of our hill in a hand-made 2-man lean-to made out of saplings and leaves and pine boughs. Actually, it was more than a lean-to since it was enclosed all around except for a tiny entrance. Hey.... it's all we had. there was no digging a tent out of the basement and we wanted to do the camping/hunting thing.

As crude as that all sounds, we spent a pretty comfortable several days up there in spite of a 6" snow storm. We had everything we needed for comfort. We also learned that a squirrel cooked on a spit over an open campfire is a pretty inedible thing .... lol. Fortunately we weren't counting on that for food.

No, we never did that again, but it was a blast. I'm glad I did it while I still could (or would). That was back when we were young and didn't think a whole lot about things, we just went ahead and did them ...ha-ha. Just another great hunting memory to add to a whole long list over the years.

We sure have gotten pretty spoiled. My first hunting trip back when I was still in high school was spent with a couple of hunting buddies on top of our hill in a hand-made 2-man lean-to made out of saplings and leaves and pine boughs. Actually, it was more than a lean-to since it was enclosed all around except for a tiny entrance. Hey.... it's all we had. there was no digging a tent out of the basement and we wanted to do the camping/hunting thing.

As crude as that all sounds, we spent a pretty comfortable several days up there in spite of a 6" snow storm. We had everything we needed for comfort. We also learned that a squirrel cooked on a spit over an open campfire is a pretty inedible thing .... lol. Fortunately we weren't counting on that for food.

No, we never did that again, but it was a blast. I'm glad I did it while I still could (or would). That was back when we were young and didn't think a whole lot about things, we just went ahead and did them ...ha-ha. Just another great hunting memory to add to a whole long list over the years.

Hey Doc-  Look at you, banging away on the computer like a pro and I'll bet your first phone was a couple soup cans with a string on 'em.

I guess we are spoiled :)

Hey Doc-  Look at you, banging away on the computer like a pro and I'll bet your first phone was a couple soup cans with a string on 'em.

I guess we are spoiled :)

Hey Law,

Go easy on him, he's still sad about the death of his first pet dinasour ........................... LOL.

FDXX75

Ha-ha.... I realize that most people here probably were not even born when we had our little survival style deer hunting camp and most likely never knew a day when there wasn't at least one tent packed away in the basement or some kind of motor home or camping trailer parked out front. But we really didn't have any of those things that we could afford. In fact, we didn't even have sleeping bags. So the whole adventure was just an exercise in self-reliance just to see if we really could do it. Hacking a camp out of the woods is something that nobody even considers anymore (certainly not me), but it was a pretty good test of woodsmanship that few people ever get to try.

Of course today, my version of "roughing it" consists of a completely outfitted modern tent camp complete with camp-cots and all the frills. In fact, like most people, my outings today often involve a cabin or motel.....lol. However, I didn't always have that luxury and I have to admit that the experience was a lot of fun.

Do it every summer on the paleotology dig i go on. after a while it becomes like home. but i must admit after a few days a trip into town to the local y for a 2$ shower is a vice i refuse to give up! Even if it is 50 miles....

We have my Father-in-laws tent from Korea. Sleeps six, I'll try to dig up some picts. It was used from Indian lake to the Catskills. Pot belly stove in there and the place is a toasty 70 degrees. I have also camped in the Catskills in 10 degree weather and a foot of snow, using a nylon tent! Hunt all day eat like a pig and in your sleeping bag by 8. Sucked for the first guy up, he had to get the heater going! Camping is great!

We usually do the weekend camping trip once a summer. It hurts the body more every year!!

I have always wanted to do an Adirondack hunting trip by tent. I have been really thinking about doing it the last year or two. I am thinking doing the early ML season so chances of real bad weather are slimmer. Hunting is tougher and bugs most likely but probably a safer start. Would really like to canoe back in to do this.

Ah, the days of tent camping. I used to do alot of tent camping for the fun of it. I have camped from Tiorati plateau in Harriman to the Moose River Recreation area in the Adks. I preferred primitive camping compared to the crowded campsites I find in most Campgrounds. After years of camping-hunting trips I felt that the camping part was taken too much time and effort away from hunting. I also found myself trying to get back to camp before dark so I could get a fire and dinner going before it got dark and I knew I needed to change my methods so I could hunt until dark. I also became less reluctant to get wet while in the field knowing I could take a hot shower and sleep in a warm room either motel or lodge. Like many of you guys I have gotten a little too old to tent camp anymore, but they are some sweet memories.

Ha-ha.... I realize that most people here probably were not even born when we had our little survival style deer hunting camp and most likely never knew a day when there wasn't at least one tent packed away in the basement or some kind of motor home or camping trailer parked out front. But we really didn't have any of those things that we could afford. In fact, we didn't even have sleeping bags. So the whole adventure was just an exercise in self-reliance just to see if we really could do it. Hacking a camp out of the woods is something that nobody even considers anymore (certainly not me), but it was a pretty good test of woodsmanship that few people ever get to try.

Of course today, my version of "roughing it" consists of a completely outfitted modern tent camp complete with camp-cots and all the frills. In fact, like most people, my outings today often involve a cabin or motel.....lol. However, I didn't always have that luxury and I have to admit that the experience was a lot of fun.

Just funnin' with ya Doc,

Back in the summer of '75, me and my best friend spent the entire summer vacation off school living out of a cheapo orange two man pup tent, we each had one blanket and a day pack. We covered a @ 10 radius from his mom's house and we would stop back home once every 4-5 days to stock up on peanut butter and bread.................lol. Usually, we would fish all the local creeks/streams and eat what we caught.

He and I talk about those days all the time when we get together.

Today's youth has no clue what they are missing out on...........................................35 yrs from now, they can discuss what an awesome game of Halo they had, if they can still remember it.

FDXX75

• 5 months later...

I am heading out for a camp trip this weekend. With the huricane forcast coming up the coast I hope it holds off till I am out Sunday!! I did pick up a new Coleman stove/grill combo so I won't starve.

Still want to do the hunt camp thing but have not talked my bro into it yet.

The wife wants to do a kayak/camp trip which sounds cool. As long as it is with the current!! Anyone ever do a canoe or kayak camp trip in the Dacks? just 2 or 3 day jaunt.

All of my vacations consist of staying in a tent. I have got everything i can carry in a box 1.5 x 1.5 x 3 feet long that is tent, tarp, axe, rope,  lantern and air matress. I have camped on the St lawrence river, moose river, and when i go to a convention either it be trappers woodsmens or what ever i stay in the tent absolutly love it... I would also love to take like a week or two trip to the adirondacks to tent it and hunt and set up a couple trap lines.

• 2 weeks later...