Rompola Buck

erussell

Is this deer a fake or Real  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this deer a fake or Real

• Fake
    • Real
    • Don't know

So its been a few yrs since the controversy, what does everyone think now. Is the buck a fake or is Mitch someone who was in the seedy underbelly of the trophy buck industry and just got sick of all the greed and wanted to make a statement? I personally would like to think its real, but who knows untill he gives it to the world to scrutinize. I have seen the video of the recovery and it looks pretty convincing. Will try and find and post here also.

http://www.rodharrison.com/bucks/rompola_buck_comments.htm  FOR

http://whitetail.com/rompolagate2.html  AGAINST

post-358-131455434199_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its fake and i will give you an example of a 382/8 in inside spread on a buck behind fence in texas.Go to www.whitetailexchange.com and then scroll down about half the page to where it says popular auctions.the name of the deer is gkr abilene.That deer has the biggest spread of any deer ever in the high fence of texas.Look at the distance between the burrs on that deer then look at rompolas buck.

Mitch is a wingnut and a prime example of the national obsession with big whitetails being taken to extremes that border mental illness...

I personally know a guy who has over 40 BIG whitetails mounted... I'm talking deer in the 130-140-150 class...He is a very skilled hunter and has taken some nice trophies... However, he was so obsessed with wanting to be known as the " world's greatest  whitetail hunter "that he BOUGHT the majority of them, had them mounted and now claims them as deer that he has killed.. That's a little sick, in my opinion...

LOL, I knew a guy like that. Always killed the biggest bucks but there was always some controversy surrounding them.

Had to leave it in the woods and the coyotes got to it 1'st....had to stick it 5 times with archery gear....had a big Chevy symbol tattooed to it's shoulder,lol....brought one back from Kentucky in the bed of the truck that looked like it had been there a month,lol

Heck they're all on his wall now. They're all impressive monster bucks to me when I look at them, but I think sometimes it eats him up inside to have to tell the shoddy stories behind his hunts. Always gives as little info as possable.

Guess untill it's proven a foney who am I to say different. :-\

I'll give the benifit of the doubt, the antler burr thing is funny.. no deer has ever had burs that far apart,or you could say grown horns that large, and to compare it to a deer in texas is even worse different subspecies not as large of skelatal structure.. lot of deer out there to check,plus maybe it was this abnormality that alllowed the rack to grow the way it did. as for the bondo like substance around the skull plate i know a lot of people would of wanted to protect that skull plate from cracking looks like a lot of weight on it espicially if cut to thin,i have seen guys put boards inbetween racks that are close to record size so the dont shrink!. So maybe it was bondoed to hold it together? The fact he doesn't want it x rayed? well i can't explain that like i can't explain a lot of peoples personal beliefs on this site, maybe he feels he doesn't lie and doesn't feel he should prove it?. I seem to remember some money exchanged or legal papers being signed saying he would not contest milo hansons record though. It will come out when he passes and a relative brings the rack forward. Really i don't care about world records most people that get them are lucky like winning the lottery,I don't see any special skill that they posess that makes them a better hunter(didn't milo shoot his deer in the rack?) maybe that where deer hunting has gone wrong to begin with!

It sure seems a little funny, if it were me I don't know that I would tell any one to begin with just so I could avoid all of the stuff that comes with shooting a buck like that. I read an article about Milo hansen and the negative things that came along with his buck and it sure doesn't sound to appealing to me. But I get the feeling that I would be in the minority on this.

Here's my fav  :D

Those are the longest G-7's I've ever seen,lol! :D

Kinda agree with ya doewhacker, it's almost not worth putting yourself under the microscope like that. Those that want to find a way to discredit your trophy wont stop untill they do, and if that don't work, the rumors will fly. :)

Seems a lot easier to photo shop a pic than to create a rack, sew it into a deer head secure enough to lift said head for pictures, drag the donor buck ungutted out into the woods make a fake blood trail without disturbing the leaves and not to mention put a arrow in said donor buck with blood. then run back get a video camera make up some scripted dialog, then go get said buck weighed on certified scales.... hmm..

The fishy part of the story is that Rampola supposedly had the buck scored by some friends that were B&C measurers but refused to have the buck panel scored by the B&C club as is required for any buck in contention with the world record...

I'm not completely sure that I really give a damn whether it is a fake or not. I don't know the guy and it wasn't taken anywhere near where I hunt. I guess it's one of those things that I'll let others worry about and figure out ..... lol.

I think the biggest reason people assume its fake is that "why doesn't he take the money and have the skull checked?"  I can't answer that the only one that can is mitch,but i don't agree witha lot of peoples opinion/morals on this site but, that doesn't make them criminials/liars either!

I don't know either way. But, from experience will say that people naturally WANT to believe it's fake or it was taken this way or that. The root is jealousy. Anything positive people are skeptical, anything negative they believe it in a second.

I'm not completely sure that I really give a damn whether it is a fake or not. I don't know the guy and it wasn't taken anywhere near where I hunt. I guess it's one of those things that I'll let others worry about and figure out ..... lol.

hey Doc , I think it was taken down in Bristol !  ;D ... ;D ... ;D