Huge Buck Ithaca/Cayuga Heights 16 pt?

HectorBuckBuster

Now this is a black eye on the rest of us. Its probably going to be a higher profile case (in relation to other hunting related incidents).

Its about the worse case scenario for the anti crowd. Cayuga heights is a area where sterilization has a real foothold and very well may be come reality. This will blow up when it finally hits mainstream media and as WNY said its going to be a huge black eye on the hunting community.

Your Dad is a LIAR!

Cute - I think if it were as originally stated the source would be a liar.

who cares? The guy shot a tame deer that everybody knew about. Out of 15+ acres, the guy legally was allowed to hunt 1 acre! 1 acre is less than the size of a football field and he got this deer. It's no a trophy, anybody who got permission to the hunt the 1 acre would have gotten this deer.

What a hunt that must have been. Really one acre!!!! I would like to know if the caretaker ownes the property to give someonr permision to hunt. In a freakin place like that for a hunt. I bet some folks that have loved ones buried in there are real happy about this and not to mention the gut pile!!! Please we really need this so called hunter to get on here and put his story on so mabay he can win a free mount... What a joke!!!!!

Actually out of 19 acres he was allowed to hunt 15.9 according to the DEC report.

• 15.9 acres resides in the Town of Ithaca
  • 2.1 acres resides in the Village of Cayuga Heights (No Hunting)
  • 1 acre resides in the City of Ithaca (No Hunting)

But that is only the legal aspect, I don't at all argue the ethical aspect that you guys speak of.

Edited by jepuman

• 2 weeks later...

People kill huge suburban bucks all the time. Pretty good detective work on that guys part to figure out how to get it done. The people at cayugadeer.org will be fired up though.

I agree,If half the people on here had figured out that they could have legally taken that buck from that location that deer would have been dead long ago. Some of the best hunting I have done was within 50 to 100yrds of houses. ( with permission of course ) Suburban hunting is no more unethical than any other form of deer hunting. Some people like to romanticize Deer hunting and dream of huge racks in the corn or treking the ADK wilderness in search of a whiley buck. When this guy probably had a harder job of trying to figure out where this monster would slip up and present a chance for a kill. Out of the thousands of acres of the Liberal, treehuggerdom of Ikthica This guy figured out the one acre to set up on and secured permission to hunt this and was able to make a killing shot that brought this monster down quickly and not running all over Ickthica with an arrow hanging out his arse. So my hats off to him and congrats. And to all the haters your no better than cayugadeer.org and you should probably sign up for there news letter to see how you can help stop the killing of these poor innocent deer by the big bad bow hunters. Im sure they need a few more tree huggers for there drum jerkoff circles.

And yes I know I spelled Ithica, " Ickthica " Its what I call it because after your done talking to some of those bone heads up there you just feel Icky and need a bath. :fie:

Guy defenitely has some cahones. View of where deer was killed.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs_upl=2765l5703l1l5875l10l7l0l0l0l0l485l2378l2-3.3.1l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=562&wrapid=tlif132255781664410&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Lakeview+cemetery+ithaca+ny&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Lakeview+cemetery&hnear=0x89d08182e0af88f7:0xae52768a56ece74,Ithaca,+NY&cid=0,0,14040334797175121783&ei=iqHUTtjVGYe4twfnvby7Ag&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CA8Q_BI

Edited by erussell

The ONLY problem i would have is..Do they really let hunters on a cemetary to fill their tag's??? Thats what i find hard to believe.We have one around me filled with geese in the ponds and deer in the brush but you wont get a gun on it. I am sure that guy probably got the last deer out of that place.Once word gets out people with family might blow a gasket and change some rules. Fairly tame deer shot on sacred ground in such a little area will taint this kill>> No Doubt's!!!

Changed my mind - I now see walking up to a nearly tame deer in a cemetary is a huge accomplishment that should be glorified by all hunters. I am going to look for some of those special underhunted places myself now like schoolyards, churches and walmart parking lots. Will post hero shots when it works seeking congratulations.

Edited by SteveB

Changed my mind - I now see walking up to a nearly tame deer in a cemetary is a huge accomplishment that should be glorified by all hunters. I am going to look for some of those special underhunted places myself now like schoolyards, churches and walmart parking lots. Will post hero shots when it works seeking congratulations.

I got dibs on the town dump and shoppingmall parking lots. I will also post hero shots and ask for estimates on score.

I got dibs on the town dump and shoppingmall parking lots. I will also post hero shots and ask for estimates on score.

Honestly- its hard to know the details of the hunt without having heard from the hunter himself. If the deer was taken legally thats good enough for me. He was likely more wary than all the yearling bucks that commit suicide every fall. That being said- I would be a lot more satisfied taking any mature buck in the Adirondacks still hunting than I would with a buck in the burbs.

• Like 1

Honestly- its hard to know the details of the hunt without having heard from the hunter himself. If the deer was taken legally thats good enough for me. He was likely more wary than all the yearling bucks that commit suicide every fall. That being said- I would be a lot more satisfied taking any mature buck in the Adirondacks still hunting than I would with a buck in the burbs.

I don't know Sam, did you look at the map of the area eruss posted a link to?

I lived just down the road on Thurston ave when I was in school. I just never met the buck or hunter personally so its hard to pass judgement. I would surmise that he may not have been the wiliest buck in the burbs but he wasn't a fawn either. At least cayugadeer.org didn't capture him and bring him to Cornell to have him neutered like they do with the does, or maybe he knew that was coming and leapt in front of an arrow to die with masculine dignity?

I don't think one would hunt over populated areas for the " challenge " of it. Rather as a means of population control and easy meat. Whether or not he knew the big boy was hanging there or just got lucky and he meandered by one day I dont know. I would say he probably got tiped off that the buck was there and figured out he could hunt there and a light bulb went off. Hard to tell, the stories get a little blurry once the rack size increases. Probably hung a stand to kill deer eating ornementals in the cemetary for the owner and just got lucky. They have a huge problem with overpopulation in Ickthica. We have a simular problem here in Binghamton over at the University. There even talking about a kill over there too because the deer are such a problem. I like to run the back roads by the school on my way back home in the morning to watch the bucks chasing does during the rut. See some real slammers. Trust me if I could get back there on some property I would do it in a heartbeat. We should be glad for the guy and push to have a hunt go on in town and not side with the anti's. Deer are not pet's they are future freezer meat.

Im with you SteveB I change my mind. How awesome of a hunt that would be. Drive around town see a big monster walk through this cemetary on the way home from work. Stop by one day when the caretakers out mowing the lawn and ask for permission to hunt over sacred ground. Go back to my truck in my work clothes and stick an arrow in the thing. How much better could hunting ever get. LMAO Man I would be so proud I would just keep my mouth shut and not tell a sole except maybe I would let one of my buddies take a picture of it on there cell phone and hope he never sends it to anyone. Good times right there. How can a caretaker give permision to a cemetary anyway. Arent they owned by the city or town? So that makes them owned by the public right? Not sure just asking. He should of video taped this and started a new cool hunting show. Maybe call it "Sacred Deer Hunting" or " Head Stone Hunter" man I bet Dead Down Wind would sponsor the show. What a joke.

What matters here is that this deer was legally harvested. If DEC could find any wrong doing they would have. All this talk about unethical and tame deer is nothing but a bunch of BS. The care taker could have been a good friend of his or yet a family member. I'm sure there is plenty more areas in so called tree hugging community that this could have been done in legally also.

With the prices of a NY hunting license, and the restrictions and laws placed upon us to legally hunt a deer in NY that has other BIG deer states laughing at us, the word unethical doesn't exist in my vocabulary.

• Like 1