Huge Buck Ithaca/Cayuga Heights 16 pt?

HectorBuckBuster

I personally do know the hunter and am very good friends with several individuals that have heard the story from the mans mouth first hand.

The deer was in fact harvested by legal means, on questionable but supposedly legal ground with a legal implement in season and apparently the right time of day.

This is the very same Cornell Golf Course buck that had become symbolic of the Cornell Earn a Buck hunting program. The Cornell EAB program is a QDM program on Cornell University properties, that requires hunters to harvest two does before they can harvest an antlered buck. This very same monster buck had not been shot by at least 3 hunters participating in the EAB program last year because they had not shot their qualifying does. In my eyes those individuals are true sportsman.

The Buck was not shot on Cornell property but, supposedly on a small section of the cemetery sitting just outside the Ithaca city limits. Mr Nash was not participating in the EAB program.

Mr Nash was also not participating in any effort to reduce the deer population of the Village of Cayuga heights as the man does not eat venison and had not shot any does.

The real issue here is that this was the third buck Nash had harvested this year including a very nice nine point taking in the very same location an evening or two prior. Nash was specifically targeting this specific buck when he entered the cemetery that evening even though he had already taken two bucks already.

There are no limits to what people are willing to do to get that ivory bone but its not what I consider hunting.

Glad you came out with that post HT. cause i didnt want to. I have heard the whole story from one of his relatives. Read between the lines of what I said in the last post and yours and most could get the jist of what really happened. But there will always be the guys shaking his hand and think nothing is indeed wrong with what he did. The whole thing is BS.

Yeah thats what we need people that dont have the word unethical in their vocabulary!! Scary statement at the least. If states are laughing it is because they know with the right laws in place ny could produce great bucks.. Just dreaming for the day they get it right. Really hunting in a freakin cemetary!!!!

Beautiful buck and taken legally from what DEC says so I have no issue with that. I would not be to proud if the deer is tame and hand fed. But that is just rumor and it is also illegal to feed deer! I hunt the burbs and the deer I hunt are definetly not tame! They are wary and wiley.

I will most likely never know the "whole" story but I would like to think he did it right. And the buck was not partially tame and he did not take two prior bucks....... None of that is proven. The I know someone who has a cousin who milked a cow belonging to this dude who said.....You do not know what to believe.

I do know if I am ever blessed to shoot a massive whitetail I hope I have a camerman with me to document time of day, place, weapon... to prove legal so you do not get all this craziness...

• Like 1

I dont know, unless he gives an interview I will take all comments posted about his hunt on here as rumor. I have noticed that as soon as someone shoots a nice buck the jeolous ones ( Antler envy ) come out of the wood work and the charachter assasinations begin. If I ever shoot a big buck of this caliber I would call the DEC right away before I even moved the deer and have them come out and verify the validity of the hunt. I mean really, a pic of a buck with velvet on it as proof he shot over his limit is kind of lame proof. Could have taken that pic off anywhere on the net as far as I know. Suburban hunting is no more unethical as hunting over food plots, behind a fence, on a QDM ranch, or 300 acres of posted and managed land. One or the other or all the above might stroke your fancy but it all comes down to personal preferance. The DEC did an investigation and said it was legit. I think if there was any question as to the legitimacy of this hunt the investigation would still be open and it would still be in the news as to why it was still open. It never ceases to amaze me how other hunters are willing to crucify another hunter through pure word of mouth and rumors from someone who they dont even know, just a name on some computer screen. For all I know the ones sowing contention are PETA operatives. :D DEC said it was a clean kill, end of story.

He shot a nearly tame animal on a cemetary - that is fact.

Felt the need to get that deer strong enough to trample on graves to accomplish it.

Wrong and disrespectful to the people buried there and their families.

If I had family there, they would be hearing from me.

A deer shot with an arrow can do a lot of damage in its death run - the fact that markers where not tipped over

and damaged is just plain luck.

There are some places that should not be sport hunted - a cemetary is one.

Someone who chooses to do so reveals all about their character I need to know.

He shot a nearly tame animal on a cemetary - that is fact.

Felt the need to get that deer strong enough to trample on graves to accomplish it.

Wrong and disrespectful to the people buried there and their families.

If I had family there, they would be hearing from me.

A deer shot with an arrow can do a lot of damage in its death run - the fact that markers where not tipped over

and damaged is just plain luck.

There are some places that should not be sport hunted - a cemetary is one.

Someone who chooses to do so reveals all about their character I need to know.

Steve. let me start by saying I am not on board with what he did. There are many cemetaries that are not fully developed. if you look at the ariial on this site probably half the cemetary is wooded. There is a cemetary by me that guys normally drive onto land they can hunt. I bet only a quarter of that on is actually cemetary. the back side that you can see from the road looks like some of the nastiest stuff a deer could get in.

Now with that said this guy had to have permission from adjoining landowners. Using google earth and the measuring tool I can't find a WOODED spot that isn't within 500' of a structure on adjoining property. There are areas withint the cemetary that meet the 500' rule but those are fully developed cemetary.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Believe what you want I guess. I came on here because some one asked me to. The facts are as I had stated and there is a long list of people in this area that do in fact know these facts, including DEC officials.

If you think the DB himself is gonna come on here and tell the true story and admit that he has no ethics I would question your sanity. That would be like asking a certified crazy person if they are crazy and then believing that they are not because they said so.

Antler envy on the behalf of Mr Nash is the root cause of this whole predicament.

As far as questioning my own character, I am and will be completely satisfied with passing on big woods scrub bucks for the rest of my life knowing that I would never walk up to a deer of this magnitude in a cemetery in street clothes and kill it. I would surely stop and watch it for hours on end and take photos but the thought of walking up to it and killing it in that setting and in that manner, I guarantee you would not ever cross my mind.

So just so I got this right you would believe a guy who gets interviewed after harvesting this deer? You really think he is going to come out and say if he indeed do anything wrong. in public? Let me also ask this. Is any one aware of the time this deer was shot and the time the DEC followed up on it? So lets see DEC knocks on the door well after this deer was shot. You think this guy is going to take the DEC to the exact spot it was shot or you think he is going to point to a spot that so happens to be 500 feet from any buildings and like Culver also pointed out there is basically a very small section that so happens to lie about in the center of that one cemetary that would make it a legal kill. Im not going on a friend of a friend or a cousing crap either. A direct family member that sent me a picture of this DB holding this deer. Any one want to take a guess at what he used for a blind? No Kudos are deserved for this kill. But Hey its all good. This was a selfish act of a man looking for bone. This Deer was well Known to the Locals. Many photographs of it and many people have enjoyed watching this deer. Tame is not a good description for this deer as it lived in the wild, but yet it was not too awfully concerned with human contact either. Not anly do I think this is not hunting to me but I also think it was a selfish act for one person to put on his wall and brag about it when it was enjoyed by a whole community before he stood in a cemetary and greed took over. If this deer was taken by just about any other situation that was legal I would take my hat off to this guy or anyone for that mattter. No jealousy runs through these vanes because a fellow hunter kills a great buck. Nor am I ANTI hunter, more like Im an ANTI-DB.

I take my hat off to the hunters that passed this buck (or any buck) because of the EAB program. There are a lot of positive words that can be used to describe these individuals. Honestly- I'd rather hear their close encounter story than this other one. Sometimes just being close enough to have done it and watching them instead is enough. I love antlers, but I get nearly as much of a rise by finding a big shed and imagining the future rather than what was.

Again- hats off to the Cornell EAB guys!

there shouldnt be ongoing conversation about this guys deer. Nash doesnt deserve anymore credit. If he wants to have this deer mounted on his wall and brag about it, then he has serious issues and I find that hilarious. I for one, would be embarassed to shoot a deer like this, so therefore I would have never shot. I am 99.9% positive that other people could have gotten permission to hunt where Nash did, but they chose not to pursue this campus buck.

I love antlers, but I get nearly as much of a rise by finding a big shed and imagining the future rather than what was.

That's exactly my attitude too. I love watching deer throughout the year as much as I do actually hunting them. It's fascinating to me to witness the antler growth throughout the summer and from year to year as a buck matures. Finding a nice shed off of a buck that you have history with is as big of a rush as punched a tag. I have way too much respect for the animal itself to take one out with a "cheap" shot like that just to have his antlers on my wall...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

my question is how hunters on here can assasinate this mans character on conjecture and hearsay just because they wouldn't do it. The DEC did an investigation and cleared him of all wrong doing. End of story. If it was my character being assasinated on a forum like this I think I would sue the crap out of it. Hope he doesnt see this site.

• Like 1