Huge Buck Ithaca/Cayuga Heights 16 pt?

HectorBuckBuster

Well let me try this. I can not say that the buck was taken illegally or legally. I can say from the arcs that I swung form adjacent properties that the buck couldn't have been taken legally with just the municipality boundries and the caretaker permission. It would have REQUIRED addition permission of adjacent landowners and depending on the location of the shot....could be multiple.

post-152-0-36892000-1323104796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

my question is how hunters on here can assasinate this mans character on conjecture and hearsay just because they wouldn't do it. The DEC did an investigation and cleared him of all wrong doing. End of story. If it was my character being assasinated on a forum like this I think I would sue the crap out of it. Hope he doesnt see this site.

Can't be sued for opinions period... we can question his ethics all day long and there is nothing he can do about it... now if we start saying he did something he didn't do.. that might be a different story... just because it was a legal hunt doesn't make it fair chase... the guy had to know that this would bring on this kind of reaction from the hunting community... and questioning it is fair I think... the DEC was concerned enough to do an investigation and bring it under question.. when was the last time anyone here was investigated for the deer they took??

my question is how hunters on here can assasinate this mans character on conjecture and hearsay just because they wouldn't do it. The DEC did an investigation and cleared him of all wrong doing. End of story.

What he said.

I wonder why this ethics / legality issue never comes up when some one posts a photo of a doe?

• Like 1

Im not sure if people have more of a problem with suburban hunting or that he got lucky and killed what they consider to be a tame animal, which is probably far from the truth. Mature bucks are wiley no matter where they are born. Just because they see humans every day doesnt mean you can just walk up to them and pet them. It probably would have killed you if you tried. If we had more suburban hunting, Ickthica wouldnt be in the pickle they are in. What really suprises me is that he lived as long as he did without getting creamed on some road.

OMG you guys amaze me...this started out Wow great buck !!...yadayadayada...then one.little bleep toward the negative from whom ever and many of you are hanging this guy on the "wall of shame" and the buck is becoming a "too bad buck"...holy cow...Hahahaha

Obviously you don't know the whole story around this particular buck... strange too... with your usually posts about hunter misbehavior that you wouldn't notice that there are questions concerning this buck... one little bleep???.. there were enough sirens going off that your nemesis the DEC thought it necessary to get involved... but it wasn't anywhere near your property this time.. so I can see how it wouldn't raise any concern in your mind.. I mean.. what is trampling through a cemetary to kill a local celebrity tame buck compared to someone spotlighting deer on your land... what were we thinking.

Obviously you don't know the whole story around this particular buck... strange too... with your usually posts about hunter misbehavior that you wouldn't notice that there are questions concerning this buck... one little bleep???.. there were enough sirens going off that your nemesis the DEC thought it necessary to get involved... but it wasn't anywhere near your property this time.. so I can see how it wouldn't raise any concern in your mind.. I mean.. what is trampling through a cemetary to kill a local celebrity tame buck compared to someone spotlighting deer on your land... what were we thinking.

Did sound a little like the time someone was going to shoot her goats. Probably about as challenging of a hunt...lol

Did sound a little like the time someone was going to shoot her goats. Probably about as challenging of a hunt...lol

I don't see how someone couldn't have just a little problem with this particular kill knowing the history of the buck and some of the circumstance surrounding the kill... I think we are all clear that the DEC has considered it a legal buck... I don't think it is unreasonable to question this guys motives... actually I would be curious to hear the story that the guy has told about his accomplishment... that alone might be enough to make some of us throw up... you do have to give him credit however for his masterful plan to do it in a way that was deemed legal by the DEC... now I'd like to hear his story about how satisfied he was about his accomplishment... the buck is by far a true majestic trophy whitetail... the man however I will continue to question as being true hunter.. just my opinion.

I don't see how someone couldn't have just a little problem with this particular kill knowing the history of the buck and some of the circumstance surrounding the kill... I think we are all clear that the DEC has considered it a legal buck... I don't think it is unreasonable to question this guys motives... actually I would be curious to hear the story that the guy has told about his accomplishment... that alone might be enough to make some of us throw up... you do have to give him credit however for his masterful plan to do it in a way that was deemed legal by the DEC... now I'd like to hear his story about how satisfied he was about his accomplishment... the buck is by far a true majestic trophy whitetail... the man however I will continue to question as being true hunter.. just my opinion.

I think im begining to come around to your way of thinking on this one. If it was truely a good hunt there would be a story. Sounds like the DEC did an investigation and couldnt prove anything and this guy dropped off the earth So he doesnt incriminate himself. If you shot this deer in a truely legit hunt there would be a story, this guy just up and dissapeared.

If I killed a buck like that legally and didn't have anything else to hide... I wouldn't care who said what about anything.. or anyone elses opinions.. I'd be happy to tell the story for everyone to enjoy.. as well as make sure hunters got a chance to see the beautiful whitetail... I'm thinking that he thought he was going to get famous by killing this buck... I think he must have been surprised that he turned out to be infamous... when will some guys finally realize that it is about the deer not about the hunter... nobody really cares who killed it... just what it was that was killed.

I'm putting myself in the shoes of Nash. If this was in my hometown and everyone knows there are big deer in the area then I would want to seek out permission to hunt on legal grounds anywhere possible. Always nice to have places close to home to hunt. From what I've gathered thus far in this particular area legal hunting areas are hard to come by. Now I have to assume this particular buck everyone in town knew about tame or not the hunter can't control that. (its not like he was feeding it in his backyard to keep it around at least that we know of) If I was able to get permission to hunt a piece of land and this particular buck walked by...and I knew it was tame it would still be hard for me not to shoot it. You live in a suburban wooded area what else do you expect, you're in the deer's neighborhood too. Now am I going to have the same internal satisfaction by shooting this buck over one of lesser size out on state land that took every inch of effort (scouting, trail cams, scent control etc.) to harvest I would say no. If I was to harvest this buck I am not going to try and sugarcoat the story either it "Hey I know it was a tame buck...I happen to be out hunting he came out and I shot him end of story. We all know when you shoot a buck like this one your going to get negative and positive responses...comes with the territory. But if you put all your pieces into place and do it the right way you should not be ashamed but pure common sense and deer knowledge will tell you that this buck doesn't operate like "wild" bucks. Maybe this buck is a little easier a kill then other bucks. I agree with the folks who say this bucks harvest has a lot of gray area but if your in this situation....you went out and found a spot in this area to hunt and hunt legally and this bruiser happened to walk would you put an arrow in him? I could make a point for both yes or no answers and be happy with either...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would you get out of you truck and walk up to this buck wearing jeans and a tee-shirt and kill this deer? That's the question you should ask yourself becuase that's what happened.

Even better than that would you have been driving your truck through the Cemetary looking for this specific buck in the first place with the intention of walking up to it and killing it.

Where and how it was told to the DEC was determined legit but that is in factno how it went down.

Would you get out of you truck and walk up to this buck wearing jeans and a tee-shirt and kill this deer? That's the question you should ask yourself becuase that's what happened.

Even better than that would you have been driving your truck through the Cemetary looking for this specific buck in the first place with the intention of walking up to it and killing it.

Where and how it was told to the DEC was determined legit but that is in factno how it went down.

Where you there?

Beautiful buck! If I knew some of the folks here well that said it wasn't legitimate or was aware personally of aspects of the hunter that were not on the up and up I would likely have an opinion. I don't so I cannot comment on that aspect.

Any habituation of a wild animal does it a disservice.

• 1 month later...

The first and clearly illegal problem is that people have been feed this buck for years thereby making it tame.

We all draw the line as to a fair and ethical hunt and I agree with everyone’s feelings on that. It is just like the hunting shows where the deer are look right at the hunters with anticipation of being feed not concerned at all with the hunters in the tree. That sure does not happen in my hunting area they see you in the tree and they are gone. The problem is that as we are called on to help manage deer in more urban areas this type of issue will come up. It is not so much hunting more wildlife control.

One big issue is that big bucks are so rare that people feel compelled to go to extraordinary measures to harvest the few that are out there. We will never see the correct number of big bucks when most are killed at 1.5 years old.

I agree that some harvested bucks never see the light of day. Many folks harvest a buck they know it is big but not how big. I have seen people not tell folks about the big one so it can happen. Not to mention people know where you hunt and if they know you have gotten a big one you will have a lot company hunting.

The most disturbing thing is the anti hunting website for Cayuga Heights whoever. The miss information is scary. And the idea of introducing hormones in to wildlife populations is wrong on so many levels. First, the hormones given to the deer will end up in the food chain, every dead deer gets eaten by a lot of other animals. What about natural selection and survival of the fittest. Hormones are not a part of that natural process. I can not believe anyone would think that is a good idea. We should all put the same energy that is in this tread in addressing the issue of these extremely radical deer control measures.