Big Boar Lodge

Skillet

Canned for sure. But I think if you don't try to misrepresent it, and enjoy it for what it is, it could be fun. Pricey though.

Sure ..... it's more closely related to livestock slaughtering, but as long as no one is passing it off as hunting, I really don't care. I just don't want anyone confusing the nature of my hunting with that kind of thing (PETA loves describing all hunting in terms of canned hunts), but if the participants are clear that this is nothing like actual hunting when describing this to non-hunters, I have no problem with people slaughtering their own meat at that kind of facility. It's a whole lot more honest than going to the super-market and pretending that roast beef is grown on trees and comes with a styrofoam and cellophane husk.

My buddies have their "hunt" on video. I ca't remember how big the area was but it took them all day to find the boars and stalk within bow range. 3 missed attempts. and you should see the charge the one bore did. The kill shot is missed on tape because the one filming bailed and started to run. Second shot was 5 yards head on. That was a 400# freight train with one sharp front bumper. I guess if you did it that way it would be a rush.

He had bought a pig each year to butcher and cmpard with the hunt it ended up costing him about the same per pound...so he said.

$200? the website says

Wild Russian Boar ............................................... "STARTING AT" $600.00

For $595, I went to PA for a week, lodging and food included on a fair-chase deer hunt.

To each, his own, but even if your friend got gored by the bore and then killed with it a nail file, its still NOT HUNTING. The boar ultimately wants to run away, but can't because of a fence!

Skillet hit it on the head, Biz. You said couple hundred and I couldn't see that.

I think there is a point that a fenced hunt could be very much like a real hunt. Heck look at Kodiak Island. Not fenced but might as well be. I wouldn't dream of saying a grizzly hunt up there isn't a hunt.Would we say that the guys that hunt Long Island aren't hunters? I really think 1000 acres is still a canned hunt and I don't know at what magic number I would change my mind, but i believe there is one. I haven't really thought about it.

I personally wouldn't do one. I was just pointing out what a friend did. and it basically cost him a day and no money since he was going to buy a butcher pig anyway.

• Like 1

I guess you would have to look at each individual operation to determine if there is actually any elements of hunting involved or whether it is just a livestock-slaughter situation. Personally, I don't make that determination based on whether there is a fence or not. Some of these outfits, you can hunt for days without ever even seeing the fence, especially the ones out west. And then there are others that have the critter chewing its cud next to a feeder in between naps. You know..... the ones that have names ....lol. That pen fence probably makes nice gun rest so you can't miss that 10 yard shot. It's probably a nice "sporting" touch to wake the animal up before you shoot it ..... lol.

Anyway, as I said before, I have no problem with any of it, just do me a favor and don't call it hunting. Call it "meat gathering" or "euthanasia" or something else that is completely divorced from anything that would reflect on what I do when I am hunting.