Big Boar Lodge

Skillet

• 3 weeks later...

I booked a "hunt" with this place for March 14-16. The owner, Mark Clark, seems like a great guy, and has been really helpful as far as helping me set up the hunt & making sure he is ready for my son & I. Say what you will about preserves, but I've heard some good things about this one. I KNOW that this is more of a shopping trip than a hunt, but it will be fun, and the freezer will be full. I'll be using my bow. Looking forward to it, and it'll be nice to spend 3 days with my boy. His mother was (amazingly) willing to let him go with me, I don't get him very much, so this is gonna be great.

Edited by Skillet

I'm sure you will have a good time. My buddy went to that place years ago. I think it was cold brook then. Looked like fun. For me, high fence hunting for boar is a lot different than high fence for deer. That's the only way you can shoot a boar in NY. Those chops will be tasty.

Well, I won't keep you waiting then. Shooting a boar in a high fence area I still wouldn't consider it "hunting", but can understand it more because you can't shoot a boar in NY fair chase. To shoot a deer behind a fence, when they are available to everyone in NY in abundance is much different for me. The people that are shooting deer behind fences are incapable of shooting them in the wild. They are paying to shoot big bucks because they are obsessed with antler size and not hunting. Like I said, most are lazy, and have no hunting skills. Just a bank account. I don't think it's good for the sport of hunting to shoot deer behind fences. But, that's just my opinion.

Big Boar and Coldbrook are 2 different places.

I went to Big Boar 10 years ago because I wanted to make a kill with my longbow before hunting with it that fall - and I wanted some fresh pork.

Accomplished both and had a great time.

Walked the whole place twice in 4 hours before shooting my pig at less then 15 yds which I could have done in the first hour.

Saw a bunch of critters - buffalo, elk, sheep and goats, sitka deer, a lot of hogs, and others.

None where bothered at all by our presence.

Fun day with a couple friends, a little exercise, successful test of my equipment, and some great fresh pork.

Probably do it again someday.

But it wasn't a hunt.

Edited by SteveB

• 2 weeks later...

We hunted Cumberland Island GA in Jan it is a National Park Service hunt it cost $35 including camping + $21 for the GA small game Lic. You can kill as many pigs as you can find, unfortunaly we found none. There were 40 hunters there and 14 hogs were taken. It was a great time and would consider going back when the hog population comes back. What they don't tell you is they have also hired a paid hunter to kill pigs and he has killed over 1000 pigs since 2006. Leave it to the Feds to spend money to kill pigs when they can make money on hunters ? We met a local shrimper on the boat launch since the coolers had no pork we filled them with shrimp, I got 40 lbs of extra large shrimp at $3.50 a lb.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cumberland%20island%20hunts&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nps.gov%2Fcuis%2Fplanyourvisit%2Fupload%2F2011-12-Web-Hunt-Information-2.doc&ei=OfZdT8eGNuf30gH9ieyrDw&usg=AFQjCNHa64vWNL1Ey9-LsNNE5NU4O7fD3w

Edited by jhog1