All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Coyote season ended, so I mounted the RIX L3 on the .177 Fusion 2 yesterday afternoon and sighted it in. I'm used to lining up on bigger targets, so I'm a little shaky, but I got the job done. This Mus didn't know what hit it. SJC
  3. What a crock. So glad I left NY long ago.
  4. Yesterday
  5. The semi auto rifle doesn't go on your permit Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
  6. It's hard to keep up that's for sure! I put the semi auto rifle endorsement on my pistol permit the last time I was in the office just in case I ever want to make a purchase. I believe if you do not have a pistol permit you have to go through the same insane process for a semi auto rifle license. Class, Fingers prints background checks etc.
  7. The 2024 Spring Turkey Season is almost here. Post up those live from the woods pictures and reports. Maybe @fasteddie would be so kind as to pin this? Got the turkey chokes on the shotguns and plan to pattern Wednesday. Good luck out there, everyone. Be safe and shoot straight.
  8. I’m not 100% sure but I think you need to go same route as a pistol. Buy said rifle, take paper work with serial number to sheriffs office and have serial number, make & model added to permit. Then can take possession of rifle. Bass Pro & Cabela’s are not even selling rifles at there stores in NY because of this law
  9. Saturday morning We had a super cool morning hunt. The birds just didn’t come in close enough. We had one Tom gobbling right away 100 yards straight away right where we expected them. Before the Tom came out of the wood line we had a hen clucking off to our right. She showed herself at 20 yards away and worked into the decoys that were 10 yards away. She held there for a solid 15 min just clucking away while 2 Tom’s came out of the woods. No matter what my friend tried with calls he could not get the Tom’s to come in any closer than 60 yards. Eventually after about 30 min the hen joined them and they went back to the wood line. The entire time the one Tom was fanned out and strutting back and forth. His head was almost pure white! after sometime the hen disappeared from view and I thought we where going to get the one Tom to come into the decoys but in the end the hen reappeared and all three walked off. Sunday Morning we went back to the same spot but set up differently hoping to take advantage of what they did Saturday. Had three different birds gobbling this morning. Had two come in behind us. The one got within 10 yards but no way could she swing on him. They both turned around and walked away not spooked or anything just walked away. I thought maybe they didn't like the look of the decoys and my friend thinks he heard a hen come in as well which might have pulled them off the decoys as well. I thought we had em. Ugh frustrating
  10. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A PISTOL PERMIT TO BUY A SEMI AUTO RIFLE! You can add it to your pistol permit or get the semi rifle permit on its own if you don't have a pistol permit. ppb-3-08-22.pdf (ny.gov)
  11. That is right, as far as shotguns I think they get a pass for now at least, I will be going to my permit office to get the amendment this week and will buy one of the rifles mentioned above, Hochul would love for me to quit and say the Hell with it but it aint going to happen. Al
  12. What???? I’m living the dark ages here. You mean to tell me you need to have a pistol permit to buy a semi auto rifle? What about semi auto shotgun?
  13. They are being given more rights then we have as well. Look up the Supreme Court judge in IL that ruled it was OK for an alien who came into the country illegally and was arrested three times on illegal possession of a gun that he has a right to defend himself and carry a gun with no permit or background check. Yet, we here in NY have to get permission to buy bullets.
  14. That law went into effect way back in September of 2022 and was discussed here a lot. The ammo background check is part of that bill but it took them a year to get a system up to do the checks. If you don't have a pistol permit you need to get a permit for the semi auto rifles.
  15. Last week
  16. Was out yesterday with a 12yo young lady, the daughter of a friend. Her father was with us. Plenty of gobbling on the roost. They flew down into the field as expected, gobbling and strutting on the ground. It was a great show. Unfortunately they stayed just out of range from the blind. A couple of hens were leading two longbeards and no amount of my mediocre calling could convince them to commit lol. We hung out in the blind for the next couple hours but no takers. Got on the road early this morning to meet them at a different farm. Got a call about half way into my ride from her father saying she wanted to sleep in today. No big deal. Turned around and came home. A good day yesterday but the turkeys were just being, well, turkeys. Looking forward to next week.
  17. So headed out to the gun show this morning with a plan to buy a takedown 22 rifle that would fit in the compartment under my scooter's seat. The Henry AR7 and Ruger's takedown 10/22 were two serious contenders. Well come to find out I can no longer buy an autoloading rifle without an amendment on my handgun permit, a new law passed under my radar last September, I did not know about this horse's ass law. I was just in the permit office last week and had I known I would have had that amendment added for a fee of course. And I guess if one does not have a permit they are shit out of luck for and any autoloading rifle purchase. This state sucks more and more, every time you turn around more dumb ass laws. Al
  18. Another good reason not to mow the lawn.
  19. Heard lots of gobbling this morning. Checked scouting cameras. Looks good so far.
  20. Heading out tomorrow morning with a buddy and will meet my son there, always a good time. Al
  21. Wife stopped at a garage sale and spotted these bowling pins, she remember I had a bunch of them set up on the backyard range until they were blasted to bits, so she got these for me, "good girl" These are a blast knocking off with big handguns. Al
  22. Got a nice batch today. Cleaned and ready for blanching and vacuum sealing tomorrow.
  23. Early season second Saturday in September Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
  24. Large hunting party and stagecoach in front of the Northville hotel, Northville, NY... Adirondacks circa 1880.
  1. Load more activity