NY DEC: Leftover DMP's Available Nov. 1st

Cabin Fever

Leftover DMPs Extended Application Period for Leftover DMPs Begins November 1, 2014

The Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) with leftover permits will be:

1C

3M, 3R, 3S

7F, 7H, 7J

8A, 8F, 8G, 8H, 8J, 8N, 8R

9A, 9F, 9G

Applications for leftover DMPs will be accepted at license issuing outlets only. Applications will not be accepted by phone, mail or on-line for leftover DMPs.

• Hunters may apply for and receive up to two additional DMPs in these WMUs.
  • Applicants with licenses that are exempt from paying a DMP application fee or hunters who have previously applied for DMPs this license year will not be charged any additional fees during the extended application period. Otherwise, there is a non-refundable $10 application fee for leftover DMPs.
  • Leftover DMPs are issued on a first-come / first-serve basis. DEC will continue to issue permits in these WMUs until sufficient numbers of DMPs are issued to achieve optimum management in each unit. When a unit is opened, it will remain open at least until close of business that day. At the end of the business day, any units that have reached the desired number of permits will be closed.
  • Applications for leftover DMPs will not affect any preference points held by the applicant.

Note: DMPs are only valid for antlerless deer in the WMU for which they are issued.

More info here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/6399.html

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I waited in line at DicksSportingGoods in Webster NY for 2 hours on Saturday Nov 1, to get some extra DMPs for 8F, 7F.  Then the clerk told me that both 8F and 7F are not available?!   The DEC website said they were, and the website also said that if a WMU is open it will remain open until end of day, at which time they will see if any permits are remaining.  If no more remaining at the end of the day,they will close the WMU, and issue no more permits.  Since Nov 1 was the first day that they were allowing people to request the additional DMPs, how can it be that there were none available?!

It was taking 10-15 minutes to process each customer.  To wait all of that time, and have them tell me no DMPs were available for my WMUs, was beyond frustrating, when the DEC website said that they were available. 

Frustrated in Webster.

I waited in line at DicksSportingGoods in Webster NY for 2 hours on Saturday Nov 1, to get some extra DMPs for 8F, 7F.  Then the clerk told me that both 8F and 7F are not available?!   The DEC website said they were, and the website also said that if a WMU is open it will remain open until end of day, at which time they will see if any permits are remaining.  If no more remaining at the end of the day,they will close the WMU, and issue no more permits.  Since Nov 1 was the first day that they were allowing people to request the additional DMPs, how can it be that there were none available?!

It was taking 10-15 minutes to process each customer.  To wait all of that time, and have them tell me no DMPs were available for my WMUs, was beyond frustrating, when the DEC website said that they were available. 

Frustrated in Webster.

Well with the way this states being run, it sure doesn't surprise me that this is happening. Might be some more fuel for Rob Astorino's campaign.

I waited in line at DicksSportingGoods in Webster NY for 2 hours on Saturday Nov 1, to get some extra DMPs for 8F, 7F. Then the clerk told me that both 8F and 7F are not available?! The DEC website said they were, and the website also said that if a WMU is open it will remain open until end of day, at which time they will see if any permits are remaining. If no more remaining at the end of the day,they will close the WMU, and issue no more permits. Since Nov 1 was the first day that they were allowing people to request the additional DMPs, how can it be that there were none available?!

It was taking 10-15 minutes to process each customer. To wait all of that time, and have them tell me no DMPs were available for my WMUs, was beyond frustrating, when the DEC website said that they were available.

Frustrated in Webster.

Same thing at all the branches, couldn't pick up 8A either. I was at Wally world in hornell.

Edited by two 10s

Any change today?

Just a quick update. . . .    I wasn't able to make it to DIck's on Sunday, but I stopped in this morning.  Magically, both 7F and 8F were available and I got the extra DMPs.

Not sure why it has to be this painful.....but anyways...i got the permits.   They seriously need to improve their new license system.