rifle cleaning

tda

I cleaned my 30-06 yesterday, i can't seem to get the barrel to come clean as usual. When I put it away post hunting, I ran a couple hoppes patches down the bore, couple dry patches, then oiled patch. i knew it wasn't thoroughly clean. Yesterday went to really do the job. same procedure as ever, soaked hoppes patch, followed by brass brush, soaked hoppes patch, dry patches. usually takes a couple times and its clean. Problem now is, if i run a wet patch then a brush, the next patch is as black as if i never touched it. It has been at least a dozen tries using same procedure. Any thoughts on why it won't clean up as usual? Same ammo as ever, only a few shots through it last fall.

Sorry, long winded post.  

Try getting some bore foam.  (Outers and Hoppes both have it) 

Fill with foam from action side leaving it tilted toward end of barrel and when filled plug end of barrel with patch or something.  Leave it tilted and let sit overnight. Clean it again as normal in morning.  Repeat if necessary but this generally gets it.

If it comes out a dark blue you had a copper fouling problem.  Might want to get some Butches Bore Shine.  Stinks to high heaven but does a number on copper.

I've cleaned many very old and abused military surplus guns.  They don't get dirtier than that.  

Edited by hueyjazz

I have never used metal brushes in my bores, just use patches with solvent /oil and the plastic patch holder. Never had rust in my bores but that would be the only time I would slide a metal brush down the bore. As you indicated, it was the brush that caused the black on the patches.

I'm with you on the brushing, normally just once to loosen up what might be in there and then patches. This is the first time i've noticed the continuous black patches after brushing. Thanks for all the help!

Copper comes off the jackets of bullets and coats the barrel walls.  Hoppes, CLP, Ed's Red, nylon brushes and a variety of other old stand-by do little to remove this copper fouling.    A copper wire brush will help loosen this, but a copper dissolving solvent will really be needed.  It is very tough stuff to remove.  Especially if you done a lot of shooting and have never made an attempt to remove it.

You can get a USB fiber optic camera that you can send down a gun bore.  They go for around $40 Ebay, Amazon   With these you can really tell the condition of your bore.  You can send rifling, any pitting, bore wear and how clean the barrel is.  Copper fouling looks like gold leaf on the inside of a barrel.

And when the solvent dissolves it, the color it will come out will be blue.

Edited by hueyjazz

3 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

I have never used metal brushes in my bores, just use patches with solvent /oil and the plastic patch holder. Never had rust in my bores but that would be the only time I would slide a metal brush down the bore. As you indicated, it was the brush that caused the black on the patches.

There’s no reason to be scared of a brass brush in a bore, wont hurt anything. 

Most smiths will say more damage is done cleaning by using a cheap rod and running it from the muzzle end messing with the crown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hueyjazz said:

And when the solvent dissolves it, the color it will come out will be blue.

And I’d add its super important to follow directions when using copper solvents as they are aggressive if left in a bore and need to be throughly cleaned out as part of the process.

Edited by Dinsdale

60 rounds shouldn't foul it up too bad unless jacket were really soft.  A new gun will be tight bore too. 

I do agree with what Dinsdale has said.  Amazes me that people will spend $800 on a gun and clean it with a $10 segmented rod without any protection to muzzle.  There goes accuracy.  

I use my $40 borescope to determine when to go after the copper but I always start with a copper brush as part of my cleaning regiment.  If only shooting a few rounds at a time then do it every now and then.

• 1 month later...

like dinsdale said always use a bore guide or carefully use a pull through system like Otis. good single piece coated rod is warranted too. it's hard to not get it all, when not using a brush and enough time to soak. I do use bronze brushes for some stuff but for all my rifles I use synthetic brushes and coated one piece rod from Boretech. i always use a copper solvent with synthetic brushes to see if patches are dissolving any copper fouling.

https://advocatesnairobi.com/متى-يفتح-سوق-الاسهم-الامريكي/
https://sanakanwalfashion.com/سعر-الافوكادو-فى-مصر-2022/
https://kerbymethodconsulting.com/تجربتي-في-تجارة-العملات-64825/
https://advocatesnairobi.com/الاستثمار-في-الأسهم-طويلة-الأجل/
https://sanakanwalfashion.com/هوامير-مفتوحه/