Fertilizer Inflation…. Wow!!!

We have all heard it was coming…

decided to stop into the place where I usually get my fertilizer..  their prices have always been the best I can find in western NY..   I usually by a ton at a time in 50# bags…

last year I paid about $460 a ton….  This year they are getting $875 a ton and warmed that prices will likely go higher…

I feel bad for people that farm for a living..  fertilizer doubles, diesel doubles and I am sure seed will be more..  they don’t stand a chance!!

just curious what impact this may have on others plans for food plots this year..

• Sad 2

I am going to cut back just a little, and probably just get (3) 50 lb bags of triple 15 fertilizer this year.  Last year, with (4) bags on 4 acres of corn, I still had some left on the stalks on March 1.  I only need it to last until January 1 (last day of Holiday ML) season.  I don’t care where the deer go or what they eat after that.  

Eradicating the “damaging” coons, starting in August, stretches the corn a lot farther.  Spraying gly on the rows only, cultivating in-between, and planting only on old clover ground, also minimizes fertilizer requirements.

Seed and spray price increases won’t hit me at all this year, because I stocked up good last year, and have enough for a few more years left in storage.  
185E8159-ED25-4A88-9C17-DB51334CEF6E.thumb.jpeg.c31cba045654e77dca2899662844d5be.jpeg

On 3/27/2022 at 9:50 PM, Wildcat said:

We have all heard it was coming…

decided to stop into the place where I usually get my fertilizer..  their prices have always been the best I can find in western NY..   I usually by a ton at a time in 50# bags…

last year I paid about $460 a ton….  This year they are getting $875 a ton and warmed that prices will likely go higher…

I feel bad for people that farm for a living..  fertilizer doubles, diesel doubles and I am sure seed will be more..  they don’t stand a chance!!

just curious what impact this may have on others plans for food plots this year..

Where do you get your fertilizer? I've been going to Turners in Hemlock but they are expensive without inflation. 

I'm ready to get some soon for our plots. 

I used to buy mine at Turners, but believe they have changed hands and it seems to have got more expensive..    I now go to Reinhardts in Middleport...   A bit out of the way for me, but there is a great Amish saw mill near buy, so I try to combine my trips...

2 hours ago, Wildcat said:

I used to buy mine at Turners, but believe they have changed hands and it seems to have got more expensive..    I now go to Reinhardts in Middleport...   A bit out of the way for me, but there is a great Amish saw mill near buy, so I try to combine my trips...

That’s where I always go.  It is a little under a half hour away for me, and back roads all the way.  I have not seen fertilizer cheaper anywhere else.  

They also have good prices on seed.   I’ll probably pick up a bag of buckwheat, and some silver queen sweetcorn, when I pick up my spring fertilizer.  I have plenty of RR field corn, early sweetcorn, and brassica seed leftover from last year. 

I will make another trip, at the end of the summer, for white clover and wheat.  

Edited by wolc123

On 3/28/2022 at 7:25 PM, wolc123 said:

I am going to cut back just a little, and probably just get (3) 50 lb bags of triple 15 fertilizer this year.  Last year, with (4) bags on 4 acres of corn, I still had some left on the stalks on March 1.  I only need it to last until January 1 (last day of Holiday ML) season.  I don’t care where the deer go or what they eat after that.  

Eradicating the “damaging” coons, starting in August, stretches the corn a lot farther.  Spraying gly on the rows only, cultivating in-between, and planting only on old clover ground, also minimizes fertilizer requirements.

Seed and spray price increases won’t hit me at all this year, because I stocked up good last year, and have enough for a few more years left in storage.  
185E8159-ED25-4A88-9C17-DB51334CEF6E.thumb.jpeg.c31cba045654e77dca2899662844d5be.jpeg

gotta say suprised u put a lot of work not to care after season ends what the deer do or how they make through the winter,,, to each there own,, if that was my motto i would just drop every deer come opening day fill my tags and be done no plots needed for that,,,but u do seem to put the work in as far as plots go , every ones sees thing there own way

• Like 1

9 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Thinking visiting a local horse ranch and getting free manure by trailer full loads.. They feed pellets so no grain seeds to worry about ;) 

I did that a few times, back when I had a spreader.  I don’t recall that it did the plots much good.  It was mostly wood chips.  

I think to get any real value from it, you need to stockpile it for a year or more, and let it compost before application.  That also might cook off the weed seeds.   What I used went basically from stall to plot within a week.  

9 hours ago, land 1 said:

gotta say suprised u put a lot of work not to care after season ends what the deer do or how they make through the winter,,, to each there own,, if that was my motto i would just drop every deer come opening day fill my tags and be done no plots needed for that,,,but u do seem to put the work in as far as plots go , every ones sees thing there own way

I only use foodots to help get deer into mankind’s food supply.   Planting enough to last past hunting season would get more of them into coyotes.

Filling all tags on opening day is a lot easier said than done (I usually have (7) tags but I dont often fill more than half of those all season long).   I have a hard time processing more than one deer at a time, and my deer fridge only holds one of average size.    

The best thing about food plots (particularly corn which gives the deer food AND COVER), is that they hold deer on my ground all season long.  

• Thanks 1

Spoke with my wife’s cousins yesterday ( I hunt their farm ) . Anything they’ll get in the way of higher commodity prices , is more then offset , by fertilizer, diesel , labor and natural gas prices .

Natural gas is a key component of fertilizer,as well as running the  bin driers the product goes in .

Nation wide , farmers are planting more soy beans and less corn to save on fertilizer costs .

• Like 1

I picked up 275lbs of fertilizer on CL.  It is a blend formulated for hemp, but I will use it on plots and fruit trees.  $50.  Should be all set for the year, unless I do new plot at the family farm.  My brother and I cut a bunch of firewood out an area, so there should be enough sunlight.  I'm going to check it out today, check cams and batteries and keep my eyes open for turkey birds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...