New pup in the house

Steuben Jerry

Drove down to Harrisburg and came back with this little dude yesterday. We have a Maltese (Ruger) that’s going on 10 years old and we thought we’d inject some youth into the household. It’s only been about 9 hours since we got home but so far, so good. Although we did start our day today around 3:00 am, lol. 

The breeder named him Marshall and we’re keeping the name. I’m an old bass player and play through Marshall amps, figured the name was fitting.

So far Ruger doesn’t seem to care about him and he’s purposely ignoring him, even though Marshall is trying his best to play with his new big brother. 

We had talked about getting another spaniel after we lost our Brittany to old age just before we got Ruger. My wife loves Malteses, and I know her heart was with another one. My dirty little secret is I really like the breed too. And who knows, another Brittany isn’t necessarily off the table. 

7DADEFCD-A3A3-45CE-BD48-53CA5F45C28B.jpeg

55B9E8A0-7EE7-4A0E-91D1-1BDCCBF375A6.jpeg

19315245-B0BF-455E-97DF-2D8B9B74E48F.jpeg

B68F0A9E-4C14-4BB0-910F-CAA63F88AC09.jpeg

610F8F9C-515C-43CA-94D8-C7BFEC82CB94.jpeg

47B8EB68-5504-4469-AE0D-7F62605019C4.jpeg

• Like 18

I did a similar thing back in September. My little pup is 11 now and thought she could use some company. Its working out ok so far although i know my senior citizen pup gets very annoyed at times. Cute little fur balls you have there. Big and a little haha. 

reminds me a lot of my matching set lol the puppy i call mini me. 11E6D763-AD4F-4491-9D22-0ADD607C6E39.thumb.jpeg.3e6f9c03240dbaf27fb11b78d745c2e3.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I did a similar thing back in September. My little pup is 11 now and thought she could use some company. Its working out ok so far although i know my senior citizen pup gets very annoyed at times. Cute little fur balls you have there. Big and a little haha. 

reminds me a lot of my matching set lol the puppy i call mini me. 

Good looking dogs! Do they sleep in the same bed together? We have a couple of small dog beds but we got a large dog bed in case these guys do. So far our older one is pretty stand-off ish but tolerant. Happy enough to swipe the pups food though, so it’s a start.
The breeder started him on puppy pads. I’ve got him going outside instead. Success each time this morning. Good sign for housebreaking. The older one had accidents until he was close to a year old.

3 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Good looking dogs! Do they sleep in the same bed together? We have a couple of small dog beds but we got a large dog bed in case these guys do. So far our older one is pretty stand-off ish but tolerant. Happy enough to swipe the pups food though, so it’s a start.
The breeder started him on puppy pads. I’ve got him going outside instead. Success each time this morning. Good sign for housebreaking. The older one had accidents until he was close to a year old.

They do sleep together occasionally but generally in separate beds. Im having pretty good luck taking the puppy outside but she does prefer to do number 2’s in the house. :nono: On the bright side, those little tootsie roll’s are easy to clean up! My two rough house quite a bit i think its good for the both of them. 

• Like 1

So I trained Oak in about 5 days to poop and pee outside. I slept next to his kennel and when he woke up we went right outside. I just don't have it in me with the new pup to do this. Pooping is easy she eats goes outside and poops 3 x a day. Peeing on the other hand is tough. Although today has been a good day she will squat at any given time. I really don't want to use pads. What do you think? Is it just a matter of time?

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

The old method of rubbing their noses in the spot worked for both of my dogs. The new guy will go a little inside if he gets super excited, but he won't just pop a squat and pee in the house.

I stopped doing this. One of my pups pooped in the house one time and when I went to rub his nose in it he started to fight me. Well, me being the dummy I am, made sure to win that and he wound up with both nostrils plugged with poo. I'm really glad he never did it again after that because I didn't have the heart to do that to him again.

27 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I stopped doing this. One of my pups pooped in the house one time and when I went to rub his nose in it he started to fight me. Well, me being the dummy I am, made sure to win that and he wound up with both nostrils plugged with poo. I'm really glad he never did it again after that because I didn't have the heart to do that to him again.

I'm not talking about having a wrestling match with the pup and face slamming it into the floor.

• Haha 1

We came through this exact spot 24 hrs earlier with me, wife, old dog, new dog in the truck. The plan was to pick him up Sunday or Monday. Glad I was impatient and went yesterday. 50 car pileup, yikes!

https://www.weny.com/story/46168589/3-killed-in-50-vehicle-pileup-on-snowy-pennsylvania-highway?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WENY_TV_News&fbclid=IwAR24DqAdH71wLyDv8yf67vH7RatmOPxwiEQTC38DzsK1QnevDtpqh5yaYMQn

He’s been home for a week this evening. He’s got his quiet times, but he also can be a little hellion with needle teeth, lol. Our older dog is starting to tolerate him a bit more but understandably during the quiet moments. Making progress.

Gave him a bath on his second day here and his stature is only about 1/2 this size when he’s wet. Unlike me, he’s got great hair. :D

0B4008A1-A881-4654-AB5F-8B5B96F33C28.jpeg

6DE00A64-2AF2-4CDA-817E-79253F89C534.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, First-light said:

My new pup is still have issues peeing in house. Don't want to use the pee mat doing my best to get her out. Still only 10 weeks old.

Housebreaking is hit or miss with this one. He got off to a great start but now he has a fair amount of accidents. Makes me appreciate how good our older dog is.

Good thing with the pup is that his pee spots are the size of a dime. Pretty easy to clean up! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Housebreaking is hit or miss with this one. He got off to a great start but now he has a fair amount of accidents. Makes me appreciate how good our older dog is.

Good thing with the pup is that his pee spots are the size of a dime. Pretty easy to clean up! 

Same here. The older one got it in 4-5 days. Pee spots are a size of a grapefruit! lol

• Like 1