Mountain Men

Doc

so they said the nc guy was on a budget and only makes enough to pay for certain stuff. (in so many words) so he works hard to make up for what he needs. does that make him a mountain man?

the Montana cple are so afraid of the bears and know the bear would kill the dog so why let the dog out knowing there is one out there. how does that make them a mountain man?

still no opinion on the Alaska guy

so they said the nc guy was on a budget and only makes enough to pay for certain stuff. (in so many words) so he works hard to make up for what he needs. does that make him a mountain man?

the Montana cple are so afraid of the bears and know the bear would kill the dog so why let the dog out knowing there is one out there. how does that make them a mountain man?

still no opinion on the Alaska guy

My wife was yelling at the tv calling them idiots for letting the dog out side!! It was to funny!

My wife was yelling at the tv calling them idiots for letting the dog out side!! It was to funny!

The way they talk about bears, you would think this is their third season living there instead of 30th.

Also, when the dog runs outside, they feared for it because "a bear was less than 50 yards away the last time" but he opens the door without a rifle in hand. You know why he wasn't really afraid of a bear at that moment? Because there happens to be a film crew standing outside pointing a camera right back at them the whole time.

I like swamp people,ax men,pawn stars,storage wars,family guy and the simpsons .I view them all to be "real'.

My fav.is Brandy....... for some reason, I can't put my hand on............

Edited by Larry302

• 2 weeks later...

Well think Mountain Men last night just killed it. You had the Eustuse guy in NC, tell one of the people he teaches to go sight his rifle in, and only gives him 4 bullets to do it with. So Eustuse, goes out hunting and shots at a deer and wounds it, saying the gun misfired (really misfire LOL) and blaming the guy that sighted it in.He finds bone and puts it in his mouth, then finds little specs of blood and tracks the deer till dark and then quiets. Sorry a gun should be sighted in by the person that is going to use it.

• Like 2

Hahaha...yeah, that's bad. I recorded last nights episode but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

I was watching the previous episode with my fiance the other night when Marty's snow mobile broke down and he had to walk 10 miles in the snow to get back to his cabin. My fiance asked "those camera men must be real jerks. can't they offer him a ride instead of making him walk?" I said "I'm pretty sure they gave him a ride after they got enough footage to make it look dramatic enough...heck, it wouldn't even surprise me if the snowmobile didn't even break down but instead it was staged."

Edited by Elmo

Yeah... Last night some what clinched it for me.. I'm not going to watch much more of it... The "misfire" BS, him hollering with each blood spot found.. great tracking idea there... The rich guy with a phone, electricity and a GSP... And the moron abondoning his family to go play Mtn Man... Yeah.. I'm pretty much done unless they can turn this around..

What i don't get is if their mountain men living off the land. Then how come i think his name is Eustase has 3 or 4 chainsaws that look like stihls or husqavarna if their living off the land. Or the one guy with the two story log cabin i just dn't get it. Did i miss something if so please tell?

The bio on the show's website state:

Eustace was a hippie who when one day, while high on weed, decided he should buy 1000 acres worth of land and maintain it. So he went in with a partner and bought 500 acres a piece. I like him the least. I really do believe he's exploiting those kids and making them do his dirty work. If I was Justin, I'd be pissed too.

Tom retired from the rodeo due to injuries and is living in Montana only because he doesn't want to burden his children who lives in Florida. Watching my grandparents when they were alive and watching my father now who refuses to retire, I can understand that. I find Tom endearing.

Marty passion had always been trapping and given the fact that he moved to Alaska at the age of 25 with $10 to his name I'm guessing he didn't have many other options. Not many people pick a career path knowing they'll regret it later on in life and once they're in, it's hard for them to just switch careers. With that said, based on the value of fur I find it hard that he can make a living solely on trapping to be able to afford a plane, fuel, snow mobile, etc. Something about his story doesn't add up.

Finally saw that last episode. Justin was asked to sight in a black lever action rifle. He was also show in footage of him walking around with what looked like a bolt action 22LR. But Eutuce went out hunting in what appear to be a Ruger No. 1.

So, I was watching the trapper in Alaska who was having trouble with his snowmobile. Finally it just quit 10 miles from the cabin and he decided to start walking home. I couldn't help wondering why he didn't just grab a ride with the camera-men ...... lol.

I guess you have to play along with some of this stuff and try to stay in the spirit of the story-line. For some reason he didn't take his rifle with him, even though they definitely were working hard to paint a picture of constant danger from wolves and bears which kind of tells me that dangerous predators probably are not the concern that they have tried to portray.

Also it's obvious that these guys all have (or had) some alternate means of income. Just looking at the facilities, tools, and equipment, and the constant ready access to gasoline, planes, chainsaws, etc. kind of is a clue. But then I suppose nobody ever said that they were always completely destitute.

It would be a much better program if they took all the contrived drama out of it. There's not much doubt that before and probably long after the cameramen all go away, the lifestyle still is a pretty darn challenging one. And each of the three lifestyles have certain hardships that make it a way of life that none of us have chosen. So, I tend to cut the program some slack and treat it like a fictionalized and dramatized documentary. And perhaps the program does give a very rough glimpse into what such lifestyles could be for those of us who have ever contemplated living in that way. You just have to recognize some of the stuff as being pure dramatization and try not to be too bothered by that.

It's fun to point out the mistakes and flaws in the story-line, but underneath it all, there are still some people who choose a pretty challenging way of life.

So, I was watching the trapper in Alaska who was having trouble with his snowmobile. Finally it just quit 10 miles from the cabin and he decided to start walking home. I couldn't help wondering why he didn't just grab a ride with the camera-men ...... lol.

I guess you have to play along with some of this stuff and try to stay in the spirit of the story-line. For some reason he didn't take his rifle with him, even though they definitely were working hard to paint a picture of constant danger from wolves and bears which kind of tells me that dangerous predators probably are not the concern that they have tried to portray.

Also it's obvious that these guys all have (or had) some alternate means of income. Just looking at the facilities, tools, and equipment, and the constant ready access to gasoline, planes, chainsaws, etc. kind of is a clue. But then I suppose nobody ever said that they were always completely destitute.

It would be a much better program if they took all the contrived drama out of it. There's not much doubt that before and probably long after the cameramen all go away, the lifestyle still is a pretty darn challenging one. And each of the three lifestyles have certain hardships that make it a way of life that none of us have chosen. So, I tend to cut the program some slack and treat it like a fictionalized and dramatized documentary. And perhaps the program does give a very rough glimpse into what such lifestyles could be for those of us who have ever contemplated living in that way. You just have to recognize some of the stuff as being pure dramatization and try not to be too bothered by that.

It's fun to point out the mistakes and flaws in the story-line, but underneath it all, there are still some people who choose a pretty challenging way of life.

Doc, the guys on this site ate good at picking out flaws and mistakes. This show is full of them and not too realestic but dopy.

Actually, the characters are believable enough, but the narration that goes along with this program is what seems to be a bit of a stretch. They do a lot of over-dramatization of things that otherwise would be pretty mundane things.

I was out jogging yesterday and saw an old man pushing a grocery car with 3 of puppies with the mom trailing behind. My fiance' and I went up to take a look and she asked him if he was selling them. The old man replied $5. My fiance looked at him as if he was joking so she said "no, seriously, are you selling them?" He then responded, "why don't you make me an offer?" We looked at him with this confused look. He just shook his head and walked off. It wasn't until he was a little further down the road when I looked at his feet and realized he was a homeless man but regardless, I couldn't take in any another dog right now and don't know anyone who can. I'm just checking in the odd chance I bump into him again the next time I run in that area.

When I think of mountaim men I do not exactly dream up the characters in the show. I mean the cult leader in NC with 8 Stihl chainsaws and a half dozen paying laborers! The old couple seem to be the closest but have gas and truck and very close neighbors. Then the crazy coot with the plane. Without a camera crew doing what he does has got to be the most dangerous and I can not see how trapping would even pay for his fuel and supplies.

I think of mountain man as off the grid and pretty much away from it all or at least a day or two travel to civilization.

I'll give it a couple more shows but after the not sighting in your own hunting rifle by the cultist I do not have much hope.

Edited by Fletch