16ga rifled slugs

SWEDE

Interesting subject. I too have a Sweet Sixteen that shoots slugs well. I even located a dedicated slug barrel with open sights (hard to find) and about a dozen boxes of slugs. Local guy wanted to buy the whole lot, but did not want to pony up the cash. I bought this in 1966 (1965 manufacture). Sentimental I guess. 

You might want to keep checking Runnings (Lockport) for 16 ga slugs.  There was a guy by the ammo shelves there today, who said they had some, the last time he was there, but they didn’t have any today.  They had a few 25 round boxes of 16 ga birdshot, not sure what size. 

They still have a (2) box per day limit on ammo sales.  They had a halfway decent selection.  No 30/30 rifle ammo, so I picked up (2) boxes of 12 ga. , 2-3/4 oz, Hornady SST slugs.  I was running low on those, but should be in decent shape now.  They were going for $ 14.99 a box.  

Had I not found those 12 ga SST’s, then most of my shotgun hunting this year would have been with my 16 gauges.  I am fairly well stocked with those slugs.

I would be willing to trade 12 gauge, 2-3/4” Hornady SST’s, if you are interested, for 4/5 oz 16 ga Remington sluggers.  I’ll give you (2) of those 16’s for each Hornady SST 12.

I also have lesser quantities of Federal and Winchester 16 gauge slugs, if you would prefer those, for the same deal.   I am in northern Erie county.  PM me if you want to make a trade. 

My sluggers are maybe 18 years old, but they have been stored properly and are still working very well.  This was the last one I fired (day after last Thanksgiving).  This fella caught it for me in his rib cage:

1F7A8029-0A57-4444-9D2A-2596AAD21921.thumb.jpeg.deec68a1c60ef24e7ebba5f5bf43bdf5.jpeg

• Like 1

If I get a chance the next week or so , I’ll check where I get ammo .

Also I have many  boxes of 12ga rifled slugs , Federal truball if those interest you I could easily part with a couple . I may have others I need to check .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

It is good to see the 16 gauge lincreasing  popularity.  I think it is the perfect sized shotgun, and definitely the best looking.  20 gauges look too thin, with those skinny little barrels, and 12’s look way to fat.  The lines and proportions of a 16 gauge shotgun is just right.

I admit some bias, because a 16 gauge was the first shotgun I ever hunted with.  My dad used his browning sweet 16, while I carried his Ithaca, damascus barreled, 16 gauge double, that had a broken spring on one side.  I used it as a single shot. I can’t recall killing any rabbits with it that first year after Christmas, when I turned 14.  

My grandfather passed away  the next year, and he left me his Ithaca model 37, 16 gauge featherlight pump gun, and his J Stevens 16 ga double.  That pair has accounted for more deer, rabbits, and grouse, than all of my other weapons combined.   I have not killed a grouse with any other gauge of shotgun, but I did bag a couple with my dad’s sweet 16 Browning semi-auto, the only two times that I ever shot it.    

I am a bit of a 16 gauge junkie. I own several Belgian sweet 16s…Citori 16s…new and older sxs 26s-as well.  No doubt an incredible round fir everything.  Prior to rifle bring legal in the south when I hunted south, my go to killer was a Sweet 16 with a slug barrel  topped with a leupold 1.5 -5 Vari X 3. I ran Breneke mags thtough it and it ate up everything its path. Still love the feel of that safe queen. I still have 10 boxes of Brenekes I bought from a drug store in Ilion NY 35 yrs ago. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SWEDE said:

I'm low on the Hornady 12 ga. Too. But have 0  16ga slugs

What does low mean for one person maybe a lifetime supply...lol

When we were limited to shotguns for deer, I always had 100 slugs of the Hornady on hand and from the same production lot.

I was finicky where I weighed slugs and matched them up in batches. But i could shoot 1.5 inch groups with those ...and when it hit a deer they seldom take a step.

Edited by suburbanfarmer

13 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

What does low mean for one person maybe a lifetime supply...lol

When we were limited to shotguns for deer, I always had 100 slugs of the Hornady on hand and from the same production lot.

I was finicky where I weighed slugs and matched them up in batches. But i could shoot 1.5 inch groups with those ...and when it hit a deer they seldom take a step.

I always write the purchase date on the box of those and use the oldest ones first.  I also carry a few mix/matched 12 ga sabots while hunting in case a finisher is needed.

It is good to see the 16 gauge lincreasing  popularity.  I think it is the perfect sized shotgun, and definitely the best looking.  20 gauges look too thin, with those skinny little barrels, and 12’s look way to fat.  The lines and proportions of a 16 gauge shotgun is just right.
I admit some bias, because a 16 gauge was the first shotgun I ever hunted with.  My dad used his browning sweet 16, while I carried his Ithaca, damascus barreled, 16 gauge double, that had a broken spring on one side.  I used it as a single shot. I can’t recall killing any rabbits with it that first year after Christmas, when I turned 14.  
My grandfather passed away  the next year, and he left me his Ithaca model 37, 16 gauge featherlight pump gun, and his J Stevens 16 ga double.  That pair has accounted for more deer, rabbits, and grouse, than all of my other weapons combined.   I have not killed a grouse with any other gauge of shotgun, but I did bag a couple with my dad’s sweet 16 Browning semi-auto, the only two times that I ever shot it.    

Where are you seeing an increased popularity in 16ga?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Where are you seeing an increased popularity in 16ga?

I saw some new birdshot on shelves at Runnings 2 days ago and Swede seems interested on this thread.  Do you like 16’s or do you prefer the 20’s ?

I saw some new birdshot on shelves at Runnings 2 days ago and Swede seems interested on this thread.  Do you like 16’s or do you prefer the 20’s ?

Hate to break it to you but the 16 is dying a slow death.

I own a few 16’s and they don’t do anything for me, if I’m carrying a gun that weights the same as a 12ga I might as well carry a 12.

I have three 16’s 2 sweet 16’s and a 870 wing master. Haven’t shot any of them in years.

59 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Hate to break it to you but the 16 is dying a slow death.

I own a few 16’s and they don’t do anything for me, if I’m carrying a gun that weights the same as a 12ga I might as well carry a 12.

I have three 16’s 2 sweet 16’s and a 870 wing master. Haven’t shot any of them in years.

Your lacking the best one, an Ithaca model 37.  Mine, in 16 ga  weighs about 2/3 what my brothers 12 weighs and packs almost the same muzzle energy.  That’s why it is such a hard kicker but you don’t even know you are carrying it most of the time.  

I like my dad’s Browning sweet  16 and it seems very well proportioned between a 12 and 20, much like my Ithaca pump. It might help explain why Remington went belly up if they made their 16 ga 870 weigh as much as their 12 ga. 

Edited by wolc123

On 4/7/2022 at 12:42 PM, SWEDE said:

I'm low on the Hornady 12 ga. Too. But have 0  16ga slugs

0 16 ga anything , some 12ga sabots there  don’t recall the brand . It’s not really a hunting shop, they have some Turkey loads prior to Turkey season and some deer stuff prior to deer season , but mostly handgun and modern sporting rifle calibers  .

19 minutes ago, SWEDE said:

Damn sad to have this gun. Sweet 16.   And not be able to shoot it. Proves you don't need gun control.    Just ammo control

Pm me, if you want to shoot it so bad that you would give up (10) 12 ga 2-3/4 in Hornady SST’s (currently available at Runnings in Lockport) for (20) of my 4/5 oz, 16 ga Remington sluggers.  

23 minutes ago, SWEDE said:

Damn sad to have this gun. Sweet 16.   And not be able to shoot it. Proves you don't need gun control.    Just ammo control

Buds guns , online and they ship to NY has 12ga Hornady as of this morning .

C30CA01D-25AB-4873-9937-ED361C6E123D.png