Wood Smoker or Pellet Grill?

Years ago I tried my luck with a wood smoker. Serious learning curve. Needless to say I failed miserably. Mrs. Squirrel made me get rid of it. I did because at the time it was the lesser of 2 evils. So now I wanna try my hand at smoking again and was looking at the Traeger pellet grill/smoker. My brother calls it the "EZ Bake oven for men" because he is johnny Smokey now since he has lived down south for the last several years. What are your thoughts? Struggle with the wood again or start eating well smoked food much sooner? What do you use and why? 

• Like 1

I am looking for a pellet Smoker as well but of course the ones like Traeger and ZGrills are Chinese and I will do all I can to not buy that shit.

So looking at USA made is definitely more challenging and 3 times the cost. But most likely worth it. 

Yoder and Blaz'n are two I'm looking at.

I just started with a cheap electric analog smoker. It’s more work than an automatic pellet smoker but honestly at $170 bucks it works better than expected. Only thing you have to do is replace the wood chips once an hour for the first few hours until the meat gets up to temp. As a complete novice I’ve smoked pork chops and corned beef and both turned out fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I researched YouTube and Amazon reviews and decided I wanted a set and forget unit with WIFI and decent reviews. So bought a Camp Chef smoker and have been happy with it after sausage (add $$$ for a good grinder), chicken, pork shoulder, salmon etc. Smoking is an art and I thought a "paint by numbers" setup was a good beginning. I've had the luxury of tasting Indigenous folks' smoked salmon on the Oregon Coast and got the bug back then. They wouldn't hear of a pellet smoker and the woods they chose were family secrets like alder and myrtle, maybe get there someday but having a blast with my current setup and not having to baby sit it. Good luck!