Trophy Cam on the marsh

skyhunter

i dont mean to ask a stupid question and am by no means accusing you of anything...but how exactly do you get so many different animals in front of the cam for those shots...i put up cams for weeks at a time and get plenty of shots but nothing that compares to those. it looks like they are posing...

i dont mean to ask a stupid question and am by no means accusing you of anything...but how exactly do you get so many different animals in front of the cam for those shots...i put up cams for weeks at a time and get plenty of shots but nothing that compares to those. it looks like they are posing...

your question: "stupid" ? no, but could be ignorrant of what is possible when you work very hard at something. Like hunting trailcaming to a high level involves lots of scouting and looking for where the animals are. Not places where travel is random, but locating places where animal travel is routine.

I spend hours looking for these spots and when you place a cam there you will normally get lots of pictures of animals in their routines. I concentrate my efforts around water sources where animals make a habit of being there.

Placing a camera just off the bank of these water sources like I did in this post will result in lots of pictures of bucks that look like their "posing for the camera" as you mentioned.

here are some examples of that and other pics that I have gotten around water:

resizeDSC01627.jpg

resizeP1140938.jpg

resizeP1060659.jpg

Resizeofreducedfilecroppedhawk2.jpg

resize1024herontextP1110897.jpg

resizeDSC07131.jpg

resizeadj912DSC07976-1-1.jpg

resizewoodiecontestentrytextP1100006.jpg

resize1024KooKoo.jpg

resize1024fourwoodiesentryP1090827.jpg

Edited by skyhunter
  • Like 2

i dont mean to ask a stupid question and am by no means accusing you of anything...but how exactly do you get so many different animals in front of the cam for those shots

For the bird shot he caught a bunch of frogs and tied tiny leg snares to them then staked them out in a semi circle around the front of the camera ....Sorry Couldn't resist...lol

Ditto to Splitg2, Sky your pic's are amazing!!! The reason he get such good pic is like he said he spends hours doing this and checking and setting up spots... His interest and love for what he does showes in his pics!!! Truely amazing!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You get Life mag quality pictures. I love when deer come right up to the lens to say hello. The frog is great. Should have a trailcam challenge on here for bragging rights of pictures. The frog with the doe in the background saying "OMG, holycrap!" would get my vote, that's totally unique.