5J West of Canada Lake

ridgerunner88

3 buddies and myself are planning a camping/hunting trip for opening weekend of early muzzleloader.

The spot they picked is technically in the ADX but on the very southern tip a little north of Little Falls in 5J.

Now 5J is huge and I dont think the 2020 DEC Harvest Report can paint a realistic picture of what expect in terms of deer numbers.

Do I approach this area like an ADX hunt or the standard northern zone public land style? I have never hunted the ADX and see that it is a different style.

I am happy to try it out but just want to get an idea of what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 buddies and myself are planning a camping/hunting trip for opening weekend of early muzzleloader.

The spot they picked is technically in the ADX but on the very southern tip a little north of Little Falls in 5J.

Now 5J is huge and I dont think the 2020 DEC Harvest Report can paint a realistic picture of what expect in terms of deer numbers.

Do I approach this area like an ADX hunt or the standard northern zone public land style? I have never hunted the ADX and see that it is a different style.

Never been that far south but I would think find feed and poke around. Should still be oaks down that far and early muzzleloader is a perfect time to hunt oak ridges.

• Like 3

You should check the northern/southern boundary it sounds like you’ll be in the southern zone. I believe route 29 is the break. You can look it up on the Dec website.

Ditto what buckmaster said.  Two of three (all mature does) that I have killed in the Dacks (near NW corner of the park) during early ML week,  including this one last season, were up high on ridges where there was nut bearing hardwoods.  

B151F2FB-29CE-4029-96B2-99193D264C0A.thumb.jpeg.c9eb87faab460ebc9bcf0bbea77a3f02.jpeg

In my opinion, there is no better time to be up there.  Usually, there is still plenty of color with the fall foliage, and the fishing is spectacular at that time of the year.  That stuff makes the trip well worth the cost, even if the deer don’t cooperate.  

7B01C574-69A4-4EF4-A4A6-81C68058C535.thumb.jpeg.31dec9f8e7e06a1c70be9b5825ef9b58.jpeg

• Like 1

Just to the west of Canada Lake south of 29

I’ve never hunted in that area, but north of 29a I’ve had some luck and missed opportunity’s. I’ve yet to see a beast mostly spikes and four pointer’s but I haven’t hunted up there long enough to know all the ins and outs. I see deer constantly on my travels both on private and state property. There here just not as abundant. Find the food and play the wind. Muzzle loader season is by far my favorite time to hunt there’s basically no one in the woods. Good luck

• Like 1