Shot a PSE Tac 15 this afternoon

fasteddie

A fellow who is a close friend of one of my son's bought a PSE Tac 15 and the Crossbow was at my son's house . I was asked if I wanted to shoot it and was a bit hesitant but shot it .

It has a hand crank and it looked like the limbs would snap when it was drawn back . I flinched on two shots but put the other 4 in a softball sized group at 50 yards with 2 of the bolts touching . Didn't take much to shoot a group at that distance . Looks like it would eliminate a lot of practice .

post-132-0-29216600-1341453453_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-06211100-1341453465_thumb.jpg

unfortunatly it is an illegal crossbow to use in nys as axle to axle is not long enough,....

Actually, its limb tip to limb tip. The TAC15i and TAC10i (the ones that come with a non-removable lower section) are 17" A2A, which makes it legal. The regular TAC15 and TAC10 (the ones that fit on any AR lower), Im not sure on because I cant seem to find specs for them.

The one pictured appears to be the TAC15i.

http://www.tac15.com..._Tac_Series.pdf

Regardless, I still wouldnt take a 50 yard shot in a hunting situation with a crossbow any quicker than I would take one with a vertical bow. A softball size group of 4 isnt that hard with my compound at 50 yards.

well Eddie, you did pretty good at 50 yds off your pickanick bench on a warm summer day with a bipod. Now climb a tree and shoot at a deer that is 50 yds away on a cold fall morning holding that monstrosity out in front of you freehand and get back to us about the easy part...

well Eddie, you did pretty good at 50 yds off your pickanick bench on a warm summer day with a bipod. Now climb a tree and shoot at a deer that is 50 yds away on a cold fall morning holding that monstrosity out in front of you freehand and get back to us about the easy part...

That's what shooting rails on the treestands are for ...........they are for rifle use but would certainly work with the crossbow . If I was to shoot one from a blind I would use a Camera tri-pod .

Yep, thats what crossbows are good for, shortening the learning curve. Nothing wrong with that.

That's exactly what Ottie Snyder ( the spokesperson for Horton ) said in an interview in a magazine article a few years ago . He said that many people work so many hours that they don't have the time to practice and can become proficiant with a crossbow in 30 minutes so you are definately right on this .

should one be chastised for wanting to shorten a learning curve or whatever you want to call it. then in that case take away trigger releases, drop away rests, wisker biscuits, all those fancy sights, and bows that are shooting 370fps and all those other little dudads that do the very same thing for vertical compound bows, you anti x-bow guys keep coming up with the same ole weak argument??

and once again Eddie, climb a tree with that bow and let me know how you do..

and besides what are we talking about i and most of the guys i shoot with can put arrows into a 5inch circle all day long at 50 yards.

and yea you might have the adventage of being drawn and ready with an x-bow but you will never get away with a 50 yd shot or even a 35 yard shot with an x-bow like you will with a vertical bow, i didnt hear you mention anything about how loud that sucka is when shooting it Ed, come on, the whole story not just your version if you really want to give us a report.

Edited by sits in trees

• 4 years later...

i'd like to see :sits in trees" tac 3" groups @ 100 yards...at night (NVRS; gen I) with his vert bow lol.  Oh btw, i'll take your "climb a tree and shoot to kill" challenge all day with my tac15.  You have to be shy of a weeny not to be able to accomplish everything and then some with a tac 15 as you would with a vertical bow. 

PSE TAC 15...its like a duramax... only those that cant afford them have bad things to say about them...

i mounted a generation 1 night vision rifle scope on my tac15.  its accurate at night out to 100 yards.  prone supported. 

telescoping bipod is a must for shots standing as they are a bit heavy.  super heavy for sits in trees, lol!

On 7/5/2012 at 3:14 PM, sits in trees said:

you make it sound like only things that come hard are worth doing?  i'll take your challenge all day with my tac15...oh and at night bud!

Edited by OneEight EchoSeven

On 7/5/2012 at 6:54 PM, fasteddie said:

I thought the grouping was pretty good with the crossbow since I had never shot one before yesterday .

Yep and this is why there's no doubt crossbows increase lethality and make achieving it much easier than with a vertical (faster arrows, too). How many people here can say they reliably get softball groups at 50 with their vertical?

I will buy a crossbow at some point, but not for $1600 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not my style but it looks pretty cool. Everyone keeps talking about price being 1600$ you guys realize that is about what most top bows sell for when rigged. You can pay 200$ -2000 for a new bow whether is an Xbow, compound, recurve or Longbow so price is a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not my style but it looks pretty cool. Everyone keeps talking about price being 1600$ you guys realize that is about what most top bows sell for when rigged. You can pay 200$ -2000 for a new bow whether is an Xbow, compound, recurve or Longbow so price is a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when $500 would get you a top of the line bow.  I was going to upgrade my bow from 2011 this year but the price tags were over $1000. I only wish bows kept their value like guns.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2017 at 8:40 AM, kpkot said:

I remember when $500 would get you a top of the line bow.  I was going to upgrade my bow from 2011 this year but the price tags were over $1000. I only wish bows kept their value like guns.

But $500 now will get you a better bow than $500 would have a while ago.

I have no idea why people spend so much on bows, particularly given as you pointed out how they lose value  quickly. I bet a lot of people dropping tons of money on these bows should spend less on the bow and more time at the range!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...