Gun laws question? if you have a home in another state and buy a gun to keep in that home. That is not allowed in this state is there any law against doing that ?

Gun laws question if you have a home in another state and buy a gun  to keep in that home,  That is not allowed in this state is there any law against doing that ?

My  cousin who is retired just   got a home down south and wants to buy something for that house . Something that is not legal in this state . But is legal in that state that he wants to  buy in and keep at .

But he is still a resident in this state he  wants to start spending winters there summers here . 

48 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

He can’t bring it here but NY has zero jurisdiction in another state. If it stays there he has to follow that states laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I mean right if he buys it there uses it there and it stays there has nothing to do with the laws in this state right? He can do whatever he  wants  as long as it stays there and follows the law in that state it's in. Even if he is resident of another state right ?

As an non-resident of that state, I doubt he can buy it there, but he can keep any firearm that is legal in that state there.

NY residents can buy firearms in PA that are not legal in NY, but can't bring them into NY.  Buy it in PA and drive it to the out of state home.  Just stay out of states where it isn't legal to possess.

• Like 1

As an non-resident of that state, I doubt he can buy it there, but he can keep any firearm that is legal in that state there.
NY residents can buy firearms in PA that are not legal in NY, but can't bring them into NY.  Buy it in PA and drive it to the out of state home.  Just stay out of states where it isn't legal to possess.

I don’t know of a state that doesn’t allow purchases of a long gun by a non resident “I’m sure there are some but not in the free states that allow the gun in question.” NY residents can only buy and bring into NY long guns bought in states that touch NY. This is a NY law not the other states. Many people from NY buy guns at kittery trading post in Maine, although the sale technically happens in NH when they cross back into NY they’re breaking the law.

This is to the best of my knowledge, obviously it’s legal advice on a gun forum so take it for what it is.
  • Like 1

NJ FFL's won't even allow a NY resident to handle a firearm to look at it.  I never tried to buy a long gun anywhere else but PA.  I wasn't aware an out of state resident could buy a long gun in other states.  I assume, that's just some other states though.

NJ FFL's won't even allow a NY resident to handle a firearm to look at it.  I never tried to buy a long gun anywhere else but PA.  I wasn't aware an out of state resident could buy a long gun in other states.  I assume, that's just some other states though.

Is that a law or dealers rules?

I would say there is no law against that, but I am not a lawyer and for a definitive answer he should consult one.

It saddens me even more that a citizen of this once constitutional republic must even have to entertain such a question.

Robby

• Like 3

My cousin was looking at buying a long gun not a handgun by the way I should of mentioned with the scary stuff that is not allowed in this state but legal down south something  Tactical for home defense to keep down there in his house .

Tell your "cousin" to talk to someone who actually knows the laws for the state he wishes to buy the home is the most logical answer here.

To buy a firearm in another state that's not legal in NY, he'd have to have an address and driver's license for the state the vacation home would be in.

Tell your "cousin" to talk to someone who actually knows the laws for the state he wishes to buy the home is the most logical answer here.

To buy a firearm in another state that's not legal in NY, he'd have to have an address and driver's license for the state the vacation home would be in.

The top part is great advice the bottom part although it could be true Somewhere it’s not everywhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The top part is great advice the bottom part although it could be true Somewhere it’s not everywhere.

I don't know of any state that will sell a complete AR or AK/SKS to a NY resident unless they are an LEO. I might be wrong, but after doing a lot of researching the past couple months, NY and CA are treated like we have a plague or something. I was actually talking to a couple of guys in a gun shop about that this morning, while the guy in front of me was buying an AR and waiting for his check to come back. NY and CA are a mess when it comes to what's legal and what isn't on AR platforms. I'd just buy it here and convert it back in the other state.

9 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

As already stated, don’t take legal advice on a gun forum. 

To go off your correct statement, we also have had  people asking for others to talk specifically about their firearms and add pics on threads.   Terrible ideas. 

As far as taking legal advice??  We also have many members that give free health advice here too.  Lawyers and doctors/scientists.   We have a very diverse group of members…..

I visited a number of gun shops in fla. this winter, I was treated very well as I was from the “ good part of NYS .“  Also private sales down there don’t require background checks or guns to be registered. A seller may ask for an id .

I have a FLA carry permit .

Which is another route for the OP’s friend / relative , I brought one of my 9mm with me from NY. Also if it were me and I owned something down there , I’d just buy or bring a short barreled shotgun , which I’d leave there . Avoids any possible  legal issues , plus I really like the performance of 00 buck .