Weather

Buckmaster7600

I’ve always found birds to be a lot more willing to play the game with little rain and wind. Too much of either can definitely turn them off but a steady drizzle and 10-20mph wind is a day I have a lot of confidence in!

Calm and cool is too noisy to move around on them. I know it’s nice for those with good hearing to be able to hear the birds but being more than half deaf hearing turkeys isn’t something I can do until they’re about in range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, coonhunter said:

I like a good thunderstorm just before dark when they are getting ready to go to roost. This seems to scatter them up a bit, and they seem more  likely to come in quickly. 

This, exactly.  Thunderstorm, downpour, followed by calm clear.  At 2000 feet you can hear every gobbler for a mile at false light.

I just want to enjoy the woods, nothing about sitting on the ground in a damp drizzle does that for me no matter how much it ups my odds....I doubt i'll be out more than a time or two. Too many other things to do with the nice weather later in May

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Best answer yet! Had the boat out on the river yesterday for a shakedown run. Just waiting on some ice at the ramps to finish and I’ll be salmon fishing!

went by my launch today and rig was putting in.  Got to take the boat out for a test run soon!  Good luck on the Salmon! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Best answer yet! Had the boat out on the river yesterday for a shakedown run. Just waiting on some ice at the ramps to finish and I’ll be salmon fishing!

I was in a boat on Champlain 2 weekends ago.  There was still some ice floating around and the water was too damn cold for active fish (34-35 degrees) but we did give it a go and land one laker.  I'm shooting for next week with my little boat to look for salmon in shallow.

• Like 1

As long as it's not raining, I don't care if it's sunny or gray. I flat out don't like hunting anything in the rain. A slight breeze, but I'm not much for a hurricane.

I actually have a fishing trip planned during May this year. I could/can hunt where we're going, but I probably won't bother lugging the hunting gear for the trip.