Apparently there are bears all over the freaking place

burmjohn

They are all over near us in Cochecton. My old man has seen them multiple times when out on the porch staring right at him. The population, at least in 3H is growing like crazy. I had them all over the cam's the last 3 years. I have yet to see one in the woods during hunting season.

That's what caught my eye also, 3 cubs.

Being ignorant about bears, just have to ask a stupid question.

Isn't a bear sow having 3 cubs a rarity???

According to info I just read on the net, litters can vary from 1 to 6 cubs, and 1-3 is common. I'm no authority on bears, but I have seen triplets several times and have friends who have seen four.

This brings up the question, how many nipples does a female black bear have...?...

According to the info I found, they have 6 nipples.

In late April 1993 I saw a sow with 5 cubs. She came walking down through a meadow below a cabin in Westfield, PA. Watched them for about 5 minutes wishing I had brought my new video camera.

I'll never forget that one!

We have one around camp this year. Naples, 8N.

My uncle's cabin is just south of Hunt Hollow. He has had bear around for ten years or so. Never saw one during hunting season and I kind of hope I don't!! Taxidermy prices and wall space have me hamstrung.......<grin>

My uncle's cabin is just south of Hunt Hollow. He has had bear around for ten years or so. Never saw one during hunting season and I kind of hope I don't!! Taxidermy prices and wall space have me hamstrung.......<grin>

I'm just 2 hills to your west, Lawdwaz.

A couple years ago we had the only direct experience with a bear. The result ...... two destroyed bird feeders, and the entire contents of a large trash can spread for about 150 yards up through the woods. The neighbor had a big old muddy paw print on the side of his house as well as the customary twisted up bird feeders. I started storing the trash inside the shed, and constructed an overhead cable arangement fom an upstairs window to a tree out in the back bank. Haven't seen any more signs of bears since then. I guess he was just passing through.

I haven't seen one yet in eastern Dutchess but there are some in the West Mountain area. Friend of mine got it on camera after it run through their garbage. The fact that DEC extended bear season last year to the east of Hudson should be enough evidence that they are here. Good, no need to drive up north to Adirondacks anymore :-)