Fly selection

rachunter

I’m out fishing and these flies are flying around. I think the stone flies and I see miggies as well. I’m not sure what fly to use right now I have a pheasant hair(olive)

fb785998f7f7965ee65cebb2fb14b391.jpg

The water is clear at 40*

f0b82be77aa59712e92bc3dc75e9e92b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don’t know how the heck you guys remember the names of these flies. The top five are the ones I tried. The others are what I have except streamers and worms. I did see one fish surface the whole four and a half hours I was there.
b34985ce0eed0cc19101a4be0ea33c95.jpg

Little black stone fly . They are smaller like a size 16. Adults get bigger as they mature. Skitter a black cricket when they are on the water laying . Bottom 2 on left are reasonable imitations  depending on size.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

Definitely a few there that should work. How are you fishing the nymphs?

I was fan casting. I started at 3 o’clock against the bank mended it down stream to 9 o’clock then moved out father. I repeated that in each spot then moved down the bank.

I would focus on those bubble lines. And maybe tie another nymph on and then some type of indicator which would allow you get a more natural drift once mended.

Thanks I’m going to try again tomorrow if I can beat the rain.

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

Wait until it warms up and fish dries!!!

That’s really BAD advice if you want to catch fish….but fishing dries is so much more fun!!!!

I'm making it a point to fish three days a week[minimum] until ice comes back.I'm determined to catch a rainbow,brown and a bigger brook trout on a fly.Then i'll move on to warm water species.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
I'm making it a point to fish three days a week[minimum] until ice comes back.I'm determined to catch a rainbow,brown and a bigger brook trout on a fly.Then i'll move on to warm water species.

Where in the state are you? I’ll put you on 2 out of 3 pretty easy if you can make it to the southern Catskills

• Like 1

Where in the state are you? I’ll put you on 2 out of 3 pretty easy if you can make it to the southern Catskills

Thanks really appreciate the offer. I’m up on the ADK’s. I’m planning a few trips to beaver kill after turkey season. I’ll reach out to you.

Thanks really appreciate the offer. I’m up on the ADK’s. I’m planning a few trips to beaver kill after turkey season. I’ll reach out to you.

If you are planning a trip to the BK let me know. I’ll take you over to the west branch of the Delaware. It’s not far from the BK and will blow your mind. depending on the dates I could probably get AT and crappy to join.

Ask @The_Real_TCIII about the fish I put him on there.

• Like 2

Have you fished the St Regis or Little
Salmon river?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Have you fished the St Regis or Little
Salmon river?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No mostly west Canada creek and a few smaller streams and ponds.I'm head to Wells this week to give it a try up there.

The problem up here is they don't open the seasonal roads until May31st That and I'm not sure if some spots are private or not so I just stay in the parking areas.

13 hours ago, rachunter said:

I ordered a few flies, but may have gotten the wrong size. What do you think lol
0593e185171199341e545e4252bde035.jpg

I used to fly fish and an old timer once told me, you want to match the hatch....and when that does not work you don't!

I used to fly fish and an old timer once told me, you want to match the hatch....and when that does not work you don't!

I’ve been reading about hatches and there’s some truth to that, but if you wait for the perfect day you never get to hunt or fish. Plus fish and animals eat every day.