Astra constable 380

3 hours ago, Daveboone said:

.380s are addictive. I always laughed at the caliber until I inherieted a Browning 1922. It is a delight to shoot and easy to carry. More of a "pop" when it goes off than a "bang".

I don’t own a .380, I have a couple 9mm’s.  I’ve been a bit snobbish about the .380 and dismissed the round.  However, I have held and shot a few, and I’m coming around to the idea of getting a sub compact .380 for a warm weather carry gun.

OP, congrats on the new pistol.  I have an old Star in 9mm, made in Spain.  All steel, heavy to carry, but it’s build very well.

Edited by loworange88

Back in my gun shop days I sold a couple of Astra Constables and they seemed to be decent quality, the customers had nothing but good to say about them. They are a Spanish cloned Walther PPK. I once owned a Walther PPK in 32 acp, it was one of my favorite pistols, I love the design but the 32 acp cartridge was a dog. I am not too crazy about the 380 either, I watched one of my hunting friends try to put a deer downed with a broken back out of it's misery with an AMT backup 380, the bullet bounced off the Deer's skull.

I always wished Walther would beef up the PPK enough to handle 9mm, I would be standing in line with cash in hand to buy one.

Al

• Like 1

That'll give you time to stock up ammo.

With the advent of ammunition loaded with better projectiles and firearms capable of firing them , the 380 has become a decent defensive round.

I carried a sig P230 as a backup for a couple of years, but when the micro 9mm's started appearing, the Sig went away.

I sold my pristine Star super B to a friend that wanted it because of his Spanish Basque heritage.

Very nice weapons.

Good luck with yours.