New Tractor

GreenDrake

Well…now that we closed on our 150 acres where we are going to build our house, I need a tractor for land work…cleanup and maintenance. Going to buy the Mahindra 2660 with loader and 72 inch brush hog. Will buy a grapple bucket separately. Going brand new. I don’t want someone else’s headache. The dealer is 1.5 miles down the road. May pull the trigger Friday afternoon.  I can’t rely on others and my wife and I are caged animals ready to play. We did a lot with just my side by side last summer but we need more. 

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, GreenDrake said:

Well…now that we closed on our 150 acres where we are going to build our house, I need a tractor for land work…cleanup and maintenance. Going to buy the Mahindra 2660 with loader and 72 inch brush hog. Will buy a grapple bucket separately. Going brand new. I don’t want someone else’s headache. The dealer is 1.5 miles down the road. May pull the trigger Friday afternoon.  I can’t rely on others and my wife and I are caged animals ready to play. We did a lot with just my side by side last summer but we need more. 

What does a tractor like that go for these days? My 2120 Ford has served me well for many years, but I may be looking soon myself to finally add something new to the homestead. 

Dont rush into the wet areas.. I too was chomping at the bit to get started and I learnt the  hard way when the  first yr  i buried my tractor upto the axels in mud

R4 tires fill up with mud fast and give zero traction.

Also if possible look into the Kioti tractors in comparison to the Mahindra

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

Originally I was getting the 2638 HST. My buddy who is a lifetime farmer went and looked at them for me and thought I should go bigger. So instead of 38 HP HST he recommends the 60 HP with shuttle. I went back and looked at them last night. He is probably right.  For 5-6G over a lifetime I don’t want to regret going too small. Open cab for me.  I don’t want to tear up a can in the woods and I like bring aware of my surroundings. I can get a soft cab for winter if I really need it. 

• Like 3

Originally I was getting the 2638 HST. My buddy who is a lifetime farmer went and looked at them for me and thought I should go bigger. So instead of 38 HP HST he recommends the 60 HP with shuttle. I went back and looked at them last night. He is probably right.  For 5-6G over a lifetime I don’t want to regret going too small. Open cab for me.  I don’t want to tear up a can in the woods and I like bring aware of my surroundings. I can get a soft cab for winter if I really need it. 

You’ll never regret going bigger! I have a 50hp 4wd John Deere and a 100hp 2WD JOHN DEERE and have never once wished I had something smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Smart move on the larger, open station tractor with shuttle shift rather than the smaller one with HST.  If my full time job was outside I wouldn’t mind a cab, but as long as I work full time in a climate controlled factory, you couldn’t pay me to own a cabbed tractor.  I can’t wait to get “outside” on a tractor.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

sorry don't want to high jack the thread

How useful is the backhoe? I'm about ready to get a kubota lx3310 but I can't decide if the back hoe would be worth it.

2 things 

Financing

Storage

If you can swing both than definitely do it. You will find projects to use the back hoe

• Thanks 1

sorry don't want to high jack the thread
 How useful is the backhoe? I'm about ready to get a kubota lx3310 but I can't decide if the back hoe would be worth it.

Unless you have a lot of jobs already on the docket for one, you can rent a mini excavator daily a lot of times before you pay off a backhoe attachment. Plus, you don’t have to hassle with putting it on and taking it off. And…they are not typically as fast or “powerful” as a mini ex would be. Just my $0.02.

• Like 4

Smart move on the larger, open station tractor with shuttle shift rather than the smaller one with HST.  If my full time job was outside I wouldn’t mind a cab, but as long as I work full time in a climate controlled factory, you couldn’t pay me to own a cabbed tractor.  I can’t wait to get “outside” on a tractor.

The first time I rotary mowed over a giant ground bee nest in my cab tractor, sitting in it listening to tunes with the AC on watching those things flying all around, I decided I’d never be without a cab tractor again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, onlybrowning said:

The first time I rotary mowed over a giant ground bee nest in my cab tractor, sitting in it listening to tunes with the AC on watching those things flying all around, I decided I’d never be without a cab tractor again.

Ironically, it was a bee that cased a friend of mine to take the opposite stance on cabbed tractors.  He will never own another one, after an unfortunate accident, which nearly totaled his.   

He was pulling a manure spreader down the road, when a bee somehow got into the cab.  As he was swiping at it, he knocked down a can of ether that he kept in the cab, to assist in cold starts.  It hit the floor, discharged and filled the cab with fumes. He lost control of the tractor snd rolled it into the ditch.   

Unless you have a lot of jobs already on the docket for one, you can rent a mini excavator daily a lot of times before you pay off a backhoe attachment. Plus, you don’t have to hassle with putting it on and taking it off. And…they are not typically as fast or “powerful” as a mini ex would be. Just my $0.02.

I just pulled the trigger and bought the LX today. The backhoe’s are a year on back order so I passed. I can use the $10k for other attachments anyway.
a20775210e03c56f7f4b25c66439f6a4.jpg
80bf85ac0139170d3803ec946a034e97.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rachunter said:

I just pulled the trigger and bought the LX today. The backhoe’s are a year on back order so I passed. I can use the $10k for other attachments anyway.

Good choice on implements. I don't know what your intended use is but I purchased an "L" frame from TSC to build a Carry-all and it is extremely helpful when heading into the woods to do clean up work.

2128210.jpg

20211008_165655.jpg

20211008_165623.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Lucked out. Bought a beautiful 2018 New Holland Workmaster 60 today..new 72 inch heavy duty brush hog…new root grapple and a new rock bucket for 3g less than the cost of the new Mahindra 2660 with no implements. Will be delivered in 2 weeks. 

Nice find..mind if i ask how much for the pkg and how many hrs on the machine?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 1:53 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

Nice find..mind if i ask how much for the pkg and how many hrs on the machine?

Just under 39G. All the attachments are new. Benton US made root grapple aNd Rock bucket…Woods 72 inch brush cutter. 700 hrs on the tractor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...