Digital calipers

Enigma

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Mititoya digital.  Glad I don't have to pay for them . Cal lab gives me a set every now and then when they don't conform to their exact specifications. Still work good for me .

I had a set of Mitutoyo previously. They were sweet. $$$ but they were a gift so I was very lucky. But alas they're gone now and I need another set. Not really interested in spending $200 if a $30 pair will do. Midway USA and others have some but don't know if the lessor priced ones are a decent quality tool and would be sufficient for the job.

I had a set of digital and it seemed like I was always buying batteries..Probably because I wasnt smart enough to turn them off....Bought a set of dial calipers, and no more problems... I do hunting loads, and don't need to know case length in fractions of thousandths..

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Mititoya digital.  Glad I don't have to pay for them . Cal lab gives me a set every now and then when they don't conform to their exact specifications. Still work good for me .

Those are pricy and what I've been looking at.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Right now I have a harbor freight set and another dial one but I question how accurate they are. Not the smoothest to use.

I went harbor freight as well to keep the cost down my first year doing this. I wasn’t going to but I talked to a couple of people I know that reload and they said for hunting loads they would be fine and the one uses harbor freight as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My Harbor Freight ones have strangely outlasted all the other digital ones I've had. (3-4) The set before these (the brand I don't recall), I had to take the battery out when not in use or they're be dead next time. Major pain.

Once again Ebay is your friend when it comes to this sort of equipment. These precision measuring tools are well taken care of by their owners so buying used has little risk and the advantage of saving some serious money. 

Japanese made high quality Mitutoyo dial calipers have more than enough accuracy for handloading and can be bought at a fraction of their original price and will last several lifetimes.

Al

• Like 3

Oh never  mind  .   Just about any will do what you want. I tend to buy what I can afford. I have harbor freight set i use at work because they are cheap and I like to piss off engineers when they want to borrow  mine. Have the better ones for myself . Harbour  freight  ones are almost as good  out to .0001

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

Oh never  mind  .   Just about any will do what you want. I tend to buy what I can afford. I have harbor freight set i use at work because they are cheap and I like to piss off engineers when they want to borrow  mine. Have the better ones for myself . Harbour  freight  ones are almost as good  out to .0001
As an engineer I keep a harbor freight tape measure for when someone forgets theirs and needs to do some work field work. Nobody ever complains. Lol