Antler Restrictions

mbucks27

I am very glad to hear that antler restrictions passed for the areas i hunt this year!!! Maybe now we can finally get some decent looking bucks instead of them all getting shot as spikes and 4 pointers.

Mandatory Antler Restrictions in More WMUs

Hunters in WMUs 3A, 4G, 4O, 4P, 4R, 4S, and 4W are now prohibited from taking a buck during any season (bow, regular, and muzzleloader) unless it has at least one antler with 3 or more points. Youth hunters (ages 12-16) are exempt from the 3 point restriction. See Antler Restrictions in New York for more information.

John

I am very glad to hear that antler restrictions passed for the areas i hunt this year!!! Maybe now we can finally get some decent looking bucks instead of them all getting shot as spikes and 4 pointers.

Mandatory Antler Restrictions in More WMUs

Hunters in WMUs 3A, 4G, 4O, 4P, 4R, 4S, and 4W are now prohibited from taking a buck during any season (bow, regular, and muzzleloader) unless it has at least one antler with 3 or more points. Youth hunters (ages 12-16) are exempt from the 3 point restriction. See Antler Restrictions in New York for more information.

John

Hah, I just posted about that too.

I'm excited.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Buckstopshere
      Here are a few of the ugliest bucks on my trail cams over the last few years. Which one is No. 1 ugliest buck in your opinion? Will they ever be great animals, ones that we dream about?

• By nyslowhand
      Interesting article in latest issue of NYON (11/25/16) about AR by one of this forum's member, Buckstopshere. Article, actually more of an editorial opinion is entitled "Making a point on antler restrictions". Buckstopshere, please correct me if I'm interpreting your opinion incorrectly!
      The crux of his opinion against any AR, mandatory or voluntary is that shooting younger bucks allows the 2+yo bucks to develop & grow at least another year. Very interesting concept which has some merit! Although the theory is somewhat counter-intuitive, culling the younger bucks to have bigger, mature bucks around your area. I've actually done this occasionally in the past if I've seen an overabundance of younger bucks on summertime trail cam photos or during bow season. Problem is, we all know exactly why we hunt, especially during the rut - those big, old bucks!! Not a lot of bow hunters would tag-out on a smaller buck and then sit out the rut or continue hunting with the antlerless/DMP tag only.
      I do agree with the author about mandated AR taking away the hunter's choice or options. Do NOT agree with his disdain for the DEC's campaign to educate hunters about voluntary passing on smaller bucks to allow older (2+yo) bucks to mature or develop more. This is actually something I suggested to the DEC when they were soliciting input about deer management. Basically to not impose statewide regulations with no regard for the hunter's choice of harvest. Also suggested they (DEC) educate the hunting community about doe and buck management and let the hunters decide and micro manage their specific locations. This education campaign is not a shaming ploy as the author suggests, merely an instructional tool.IMHO, it's more of a - harvest what you want, but just so you're aware shooting younger bucks might reduce the number of BBs eventually. But by all means, enjoy deer hunting as you would.
      Anyone else see this article? Agree with the author? Am I full of crap?
    • By adkbuck
      As expected some PA bucks have become quite resourceful in response to AR's. 

• By dhuntley2
      After all of this talk about ARs and how a state wide 3 pt rule might go into effect, I want to get opinions about this AR. First of all I want to say that I think the 3 pt rule makes no sense. It lets the superior 1.5 yr olds, ie 5 pts, 6pts, 7 pts and 8pts get shot.  And lets the spikes to 4 pts live.  This is my take, why not have an AR that you can shoot any buck that has a single point, ie a spike, 3 pt, or anything that has a single point on one side, or the buck has to have 4 pts or better on one side.  This lets the superior 1.5 year olds live and takes out the "junk" bucks.  This also lets all the "meat" hunters shoot the spikes. and lets a lot of 1.5 yr olds live.  I would much rather have this kind of restriction than a 3pt restriction.  Thoughts?
    • By TheHunter
      I remember this was a hot topic in the past, but lets keep it nice and clean :-*
      Antler Restrictions - What are your thoughts? Is it working? Do bucks that are spikes grow to be bigger bucks with bigger racks next year?