The Expanded Antler Restrictions - Who is excited?

TheHunter

Who is excited about the Expanded Antler Restrictions? I'm all for it.

Right now WMUs 3A, 3C, 3H, 3J, 3K, 4G, 4O, 4P, 4R, 4S and 4W have AR's. Added for the 2012 season were WMUs 3A, 4G, 4O, 4P, 4R, 4S, and 4W.

I have a spot in 4S and 3H that I'll be hunting this year. Hopefully 4S will see the same benifits that 3H has seen over the past few years by letting the ~ 1.5's survive.

No - because over 50% of the 1.5 are 6 pt or better here. It would have little to no effect.

There is nothing to show it would increase the number of real mature - 4.5 or older - bucks.

Edited by SteveB

I'm very excited to see this happen. We have been trying to only shoot bucks with 8 points or better on the farm that i hunt for a few years now but it wasn't working b/c the farm right down the road boards hunters and shoots any legal buck they see. All bow season long we would pass up spikes-six point bucks and then come opening day they would be hanging down the road. Now they will be able to survive and make it though the brutal NY gun season. Now if New York state added a one buck rule we would really be in great shape!!!

John

• Like 2

They arent? Want to see trail cam pics of plenty of 6+ point 1.5 year olds from my cams?

No not really. Really doesnt matter what happens elsewhere to be honest. Not pushing it on your or BrownAndDown "SteveB". Thats great you ahve 1.5's with 6+ Points... Now the rest of the area's with AR's can see some of our 1.5's live on to have some more potential and meat on them.

I'm very excited to see this happen. We have been trying to only shoot bucks with 8 points or better on the farm that i hunt for a few years now but it wasn't working b/c the farm right down the road boards hunters and shoots any legal buck they see. All bow season long we would pass up spikes-six point bucks and then come opening day they would be hanging down the road. Now they will be able to survive and make it though the brutal NY gun season. Now if New York state added a one buck rule we would really be in great shape!!!

John

Bingo!

• Like 1

Do not worry SteveB and WNY Buck Hunter- Your both right! 3 points is not appropriate in your area. That is why you need 4 points on a side and really a spread is the best way to go. Once you protect 67% or more of the yearling bucks hunters see the potential and learn what a yearling buck looks like. In the AR areas of NY only 15% of the harvest is yearlings better that the 3 point on one side rule would lead one to expect.

Which one of you is going to lead the charge on the 4 point / spread for your area?

Also we should protect as close to 100% of yearling bucks from harvest by adults. 50% is just not enough. They will all grow up if we let them go a year or two!

There is nothing to show it would increase the number of real mature - 4.5 or older - bucks.

Yeah, other then the fact that more of those smaller / later born bucks survive, which in turn would could eventually lead to more 4.5 older bucks.

I'm excited... Glad others who wish to see it in their area now have it. 3H and 3J (not since I switched to 3H) - its done a lot of good. A lot more bucks running around. I've said it in the past, but the butcher up the block has seen both bigger racks and more meat on the bucks since the AR was put in place.

• Like 2

No not really. Really doesnt matter what happens elsewhere to be honest. Not pushing it on your or BrownAndDown "SteveB". Thats great you ahve 1.5's with 6+ Points... Now the rest of the area's with AR's can see some of our 1.5's live on to have some more potential and meat on them.

And I wish you all the luck in the world with ARs, doesnt affect my hunt at this point. I was just commenting because you were saying that SteveB was wrong about the bucks up this way. What you have to remember is that the Finger Lakes/WNY region is a completely different type of habitat than down state, A huge chunk of the region is full of large grain farms, etc. Tough to compare the two regions. Good luck this season! :bye:

• Like 1

Except they are the targets at 2 and 3.5 - still young immature bucks.

The only way for bucks to reach maturity is too not shoot them before that regardless of how many points they have.

Shooting a 2.5 10 point just removes a great potential buck before maturity.

And I wish you all the luck in the world with ARs, doesnt affect my hunt at this point. I was just commenting because you were saying that SteveB was wrong about the bucks up this way. What you have to remember is that the Finger Lakes/WNY region is a completely different type of habitat than down state, A huge chunk of the region is full of large grain farms, etc. Tough to compare the two regions. Good luck this season! :bye:

Very true, good luck to you too.

Brown and down huh - great assumption, but wrong, not that it matters to you, your agenda, or your spread of misleading info. I have passed probably 100 6 pt or better bucks in just the last 5 years because they where young deer I felt where less the 4.5. I get to shoot some does so am happy. How many immature (less then 4.5) bucks have the pro AR people such as yourself killed in that same time simply because they had enough points?

Who is excited?

People who hunt property where the majority of the bucks get shot before they have nice racks.

Who is not excited?

People who hunt property that is not characterized by this problem, who now feel like they have had some of their freedom taken away for no reason. (me)

As I've detailed in the past, most of 3A is gigantic mountainous state land that does not have the issues that other WMUs may have. Its inclusion on this list is ridiculous. Whats next? AR for the Adirondacks?

Its great that some of you are excited for your specific areas. But you should also understand how other people who hunt completely different areas, do not feel the same way.

it doesnt matter to me even thou i only see spikes or forks . ( that is all i have ever seen oe shot) . i always go for a doe first . and i only hunt to put food on my table . money has been tight this year with hubby being real sick so i was luck to get my little doe last year the meat helped us out . hopeful i can afford a hunting permit this year . :(

I don't know about those areas but I can say with much certainty that the antler restrictions would do little in the area that I hunt when I hunt the southern zone. Shooting starts in Spetember and they take as many as they can get buck or doe or fawn for that matter and there are no doe tags in this area so antler restrictions would not help unless or until the poaching is curtailed.

I ilke the idea of letting buck mature and I pass on younger buck myself but the antler restrictions will only favour the poachers in this area. Poaching is out of control and unless ya live in the woods you really have no idea of how bad it is. Anybody hunting legally is at a severe disadvantage and getting the left overs from the preseason poaching. In this area at least stopping the poaching would do more than antler restrictions.