Long Islander's roll call.

Karpteach

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Nassau resident who hunts primarily in in Putnam county. I do bow hunt  and gun hunt in Suffolk County ;but in recent years, the deer ticks have become intolerable.

WZ it seems that ticks are a part of deer hunting life on the Island and most of dutchess, putnam counties.

Im in Amityville and im 21yrs old, hunt Manorville and riverhead areas public land.  Put alot of time in scouting areas away from everyone else usually hiking aways into the properties.  Ide like to get some people together to shoot at the ceder creek park range some time.  Heres a buck from last season.

post-1567-131455332409_thumb.jpg

Im in Amityville and im 21yrs old, hunt Manorville and riverhead areas public land.  Put alot of time in scouting areas away from everyone else usually hiking aways into the properties.  Ide like to get some people together to shoot at the ceder creek park range some time.  Heres a buck from last season.

Welcome Tim. I think after the season we should all get together for a shoot. We will see how it goes.

I'm from WNY and having never been to LI am under the misconception it is all residential.

Tried to Google (satellite) LI and appears to be small, intermittent areas of non-residential plots. Y-N?

See a lot of references to; no place to hunt, NYS land, ticks, chiggers and specific DEC regulations.

Please fill me in and educate me!!! What's it like to hunt on LI?

Slowhand,The east end of the Island has been well known for its potato farms for decades.Farming is still a way of life for many.Over the decades,civilization has crept from west to east.However,the deer population has moved in the opposite direction and they are now showing up in Nassau county.There are several thousand acres of state land managed by the DEC open to hunting,but most is done on private.Hunting pressure is high and yes,the ticks are out of control on the east end.However,pound for pound,LI has produced some of the biggest bucks year after year in NYS.You can hunt deer here for 4 months out of the year,3 for the bow season and 1 for a shotgun season.

I think the Chiggers have become the new problem. They are everywhere on the island!!!

Suffolk here!!

and +1 for the chiggers... there really bad! last year was just as bad if not worse. past 2 years have been crazy for em.

use the sawyer products for them, kills them once they cling to your pants.