Wild pigs in Hudson Valley

JJBat150

I read about this.. up until now I thought DEC had pigs under control. I know they are bad for lots of things.. habitat, agriculture, wildlife.. but if they're going to be here whether we like it or not, I won't mind having something else to chase in the woods. Assuming the DEC lets us..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I read about this.. up until now I thought DEC had pigs under control. I know they are bad for lots of things.. habitat, agriculture, wildlife.. but if they're going to be here whether we like it or not, I won't mind having something else to chase in the woods. Assuming the DEC lets us..

Would like to really see some first. Or at the least have hunters throw up pic’s on all these hunting sites. My guess is dec will be looking for a cut of all this extra cash being thrown around and will use the pig theory as the money pit. 

1 hour ago, Paula said:

Some years back I believe that you could shoot on sight and I think it was encouraged by the dec. And then within two years they said no don't shoot them. Maybe 10 years ago?

I remember that and I hate to say it but if I see any in my woods I'll take care of things no matter what DEC says ! Hopefully someone fro DEC sees this !!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paula said:

Some years back I believe that you could shoot on sight and I think it was encouraged by the dec. And then within two years they said no don't shoot them. Maybe 10 years ago?

5 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Definitely  don't want them here they are amazingly  destructive to the land and redident animals . While I admit they are fun to hunt i dont want them in my area of NY.

Historically, the DEC wanted them eradicated as a non-native species.  No regulations.  Then a regulation was passed protecting them.  They are highly destructive to both fauna and flora; and once have a foothold become near  impossible to eradicate.  I suspect the politicians see a seperate fee wild pig license as a new revenue stream.  

18 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Historically, the DEC wanted them eradicated as a non-native species.  No regulations.  Then a regulation was passed protecting them.  They are highly destructive to both fauna and flora; and once have a foothold become near  impossible to eradicate.  I suspect the politicians see a seperate fee wild pig license as a new revenue stream.  

Yes, the thought then they would issue tags for a fee of course. Have not seen that yet

Edited by Paula

5 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

That’s not true. Only the big boar hogs

You mean the big boars are not tasty I assume. Boars still intact apparently have a stink or stenchy pissy ass taste, so I'm told. I have shot a sow and she absolutely tasted good

You mean the big boars are not tasty I assume. Boars still intact apparently have a stink or stenchy pissy ass taste, so I'm told. I have shot a sow and she absolutely tasted good

Keep them around the 100lbs. mark and they both taste good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I thought it was to keep them from scattering so they could be trap and removed. I’d shoot on sight, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Paula said:

That’s correct, big boar hogs taste like they smell. Been hunting and eating wild hogs in Texas and Florida for years. Love hunting them but don’t think I want them here

Yes we have taken 2 pigs to the market. We have a still intact boar, he is like 450 pounds

Supposedly not every boar taste bad. We're still in the thought process of getting another female for him. The last one kicked his ass constantly, so she went to the market

Edited by Paula