Sullivan/Ulster Question

infmphunter32

I need a little advice from the Sullivan/Ulster hunters here.  My great uncles have had a piece of property up there for as long as I can remember.  It's where I hunted as a kid before I gave it up for hockey.  Now that I'm looking to get back into hunting again of course it's great to have a private spot to use that borders some state land.  I don't have specifics since it's been about 15 years since I was there but I know it's in the area of Liberty/Grahamsville.  The problem is the reputation there is that "the locals shoot everything and there's no deer anymore so it's not even worth it to buy a license."  Of course the family members I'm hearing this from are usually a bunch of opinionated blowhards when it comes to this stuff.  Would I be wasting my time there?  I mean success is not the end all be all of hunting of course, but I don't necessarily want to spend all day being cold in the woods just for the great winter scenery you know what I mean?  I'd like a little excitement and maybe a chance at filling the freezer for the first time.

Thanks. 

I have land in western Sullivan,Im not a local.Most locals are law abiding,But a few do poach.I don't think its serious enough to deter you from hunting that area and there's not enough hunting out of season going on to wipe out the deer herd.Go hunting and enjoy.If you have proof of a poaching incident,Call the DEC.

Thanks guys, that's about what I figured and it makes me feel better to hear it.  I don't think he meant it like they're poaching, but more a case of the locals filling all their tags because they're around every day and he and his father and uncles only get up there on the weekends.  Most of them also haven't hunted regularly in a couple years due to age so that may play a part too.  I just figured I'd get some non-biased advice. 

Heck it could just be they're not very lucky hunters.  :P

Man I wish it was deer season already. 

Just get out there, I am sure there are plenty of deer.  Its just a matter of putting in the hours. Stand placement has a lot to do with what you see.  I remember my first stand, I didnt see crap, a few deer here and there.  I decided to hunt this other stand we just put up, bamm, action every hour.

the key is going up and taking the time to do the scouting of the area. If you find the deer sign, deer trails and the food source and bedding areas in the area you plan on hunting you should do well but it takes time. The overall deer herd is down from the high point of the mid 80's but they have in the last few years reduced the number of doe permits so the herd is starting to come back.

I'm definitely just gonna say "damn the torpedos" and hunt the area anyway.  I haven't had much chance to scout it so if I don't see anything I don't see it, but I can always get lucky or use that time to try and pattern deer and see where they may be.  I'll take my old weatherproof army notebook and keep a log o what I see.  Then I can get in there next year and really put the work in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I need a little advice from the Sullivan/Ulster hunters here.  My great uncles have had a piece of property up there for as long as I can remember.  It's where I hunted as a kid before I gave it up for hockey.  Now that I'm looking to get back into hunting again of course it's great to have a private spot to use that borders some state land.  I don't have specifics since it's been about 15 years since I was there but I know it's in the area of Liberty/Grahamsville.  The problem is the reputation there is that "the locals shoot everything and there's no deer anymore so it's not even worth it to buy a license."  Of course the family members I'm hearing this from are usually a bunch of opinionated blowhards when it comes to this stuff.  Would I be wasting my time there?  I mean success is not the end all be all of hunting of course, but I don't necessarily want to spend all day being cold in the woods just for the great winter scenery you know what I mean?  I'd like a little excitement and maybe a chance at filling the freezer for the first time.

Thanks.

I hunt in the Grahamsville area, and see an average of 6 - 10 deer every day I am in the field.  However, as has been said, doe tags are nearly impossible to get.  In addition, there is the Antler Restriction problem to deal with.

To make a long story short, in the last two years I have seen two (2) legal bucks, and all the other deer I have seen were not legal for me to take.  I am really thinking about passing on Sullivan this year, and returning to my old haunts in Dutchess, Broome, and Essex.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

The areas of Liberty and Grahamsville are many miles apart each hold deer Gramsville to the south Liberty being to the north.JW