acorns

Paula

I am a landscape contractor and have not seen any indication of any acorns on the oaks yet and have not seen any in my fields. They say when we see an abundance of acorns the winter will be bad, I hope so I could use the money !

Carl

Well, we don't seem to have the acorn drop, the rest do, but we don't have much of a crop either. The whites don't have a one, not seen from the ground anyways. The reds have clusters of one to two max.. No bumper crop by any means. The hickory nuts are few and far between too. Walnuts look good with clusters of 3 to 4. My one horse chestnut tree is loaded.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I was out scouting 2 days ago and couldn't believe the leaf drop already! I have a lot of poplar trees on the property and most leaves have either turned yellow and/or dropped already! Some trees were completely bare!! I sat in one stand for a bit, admiring the view, and thought it was looking like early/mid October with all the leaves falling! I guess the trees are drought stressed.

I also have a lot of crabapple and pear trees around. I didn't see any fruit!

Edited by Cabin Fever

Same hear Paula. That biggest green one in your picture is twice the size of the ones Im finding on the ground. They started dropping friday and when they started to let go of the tree they all started to let go. Ground in the woods is covered with premature acorns wherever there is an oak.

Be interseting if it causes a spike in antler growth with all the new food on the ground.

Cant speak for others but there is no food with these premature acorns on the ground here. They ae not developed yet. Basically just the top part and the bottom shell that harbours the nut is just barely sticking out of the top. If I was to pop the top of the nut off I bet they are less than a 1/4 of an inch thick.

Paula,

I think that when trees stress out from a lack of rain they start to release there acorns and or leaves so they don't have to feed the extra growth on the trees. I have seen this before it's like when you transplant a bush you should give it a good trimming but do not trim less then one therd to accomidate the root loss. I don't think that is why you are seeing those pesti raccoons I just think they want some pop corn for the night time!

Carl

Hey Paula, just for the records what county do you live in? I currently live in Suffolk and no acorns have dropped at all! But my other property is in Sidney center and I just planted 1400 trees this spring and have noticed it was very dry.