Why is the NY State budget so high?

Note that both Texas and Florida have larger populations than New York.

And people wonder why New York State taxes are so high. They also wonder why so many New Yorkers are moving to Texas and Florida.

Texas (pop: 29,730,311)

Florida (21,944,577)

New York (19,299,981)

The combined population of Florida & Texas is almost 52 million — about 170% larger than New York’s.

Florida & Texas budgets for this coming year will be(Florida $96.6b & Texas $248b over 2 yrs). New York’s new budget is over $220b a year.

1A.jpg

Welfare programs .

Having spent the last two months in several parts of Fla. I’ll say this their roads are way better both in pavement and number of lanes  the lack of litter stood out too  , there are wonderful state boat ramps on every lake , docks,paved parking ,bathrooms, separate kayak ramps and so on . We boated from  lake to,lake through channels , that the state cleans out each year . NY non Resident fishing license is 50% more then the one I bought in Fla. which I bought on my phone in the boat , while in NY you have to print it .

Beautiful county firehouses , new school buildings , oh the emergency room I went to ,I was in and out in about two hours , including ultra sound , two visits with the PA , discharge instructions etc . Here people lay in beds in hallways sometimes for a day or more …

As soon as we got back here , pot holes galore , litter everywhere, rusty graffiti covered bridges , decaying buildings , oh and on pace for record shootings again in Roch. Oh and our NY lic. Plate pealed off the other day 

See what your sky high taxes gets you ?

Me neither .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

NY budget is to keep this dump of a state above water . Nothing gets fixed or replaced unless your a POS governor who wants to name a bridge after daddy. The roads are horrible all across the state but some how we have money to bring in refugees in droves. It would be nice if the people earning the money to support all the leaches could at least drive on roads that dont damage vehicles to do it. 

• Like 3

Why not wrap it up and move to a new state? No one is ever going to change the politics in this or any state,so pick the one you think is for you and go. I got tired of the crap on Long Island and moved upstate other then a few people with a chip on there shoulders about downstater’s I’m good. Personally I think every state has something to bitch about if that’s your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I have always believed it is the duty of every citizen to question their state government, not run away from it.

Not if it's going to ruin your quality of life.I'm pretty sure you stated your leaving NY in a few years when you retire? If indeed you still live in NY now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

If you dont love it…. Leave it.   

Exactly I understand someone stuck in a pension system[I was] but not someone already retired or in a job with no pension that feel the quality of life would be better somewhere else.Like I said your never going to change the politics in this state.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

If you dont love it…. Leave it.   

Would in a second if I could get our adult children to go with us , I don’t want to leave them so here I am  . Plus my pension is NYS tax free, which helps a bit . I’d say 50% of our extended family has left , and almost all of our friends . 

it is a daily struggle though . Our friends bought double the house down south as their property tax is like $1000 a year . If you have a 300k house here you can have a 600k one there for the same monthly payment . Oh and no state income  tax . 

• Like 2

I wouldn't be so quick to tell people to leave.  The more people leave, the higher the tax burden for those who remain.  The debt NY has doesn't go down when the population does.  Those who stay get saddled with it.  Plus, with many businesses that paid lots of tax also packing it in, the tax burden is going to skyrocket even more.  Without the citizens who choose to stay putting up a huge protest, NY is not going to be a place they will love for long.

Edited by Grouse

The more that people leave the stronger the “free states” get.  Nobody even votes in nys. No citizens protest here. There is an islamic compound in deleware county that none of the residents do sh*t about. So sad.  Many people agree.  And these are very smart people.  Some say the smartest. 

1 hour ago, diplomat019 said:

The more that people leave the stronger the “free states” get.  Nobody even votes in nys. No citizens protest here. There is an islamic compound in deleware county that none of the residents do sh*t about. So sad.  Many people agree.  And these are very smart people.  Some say the smartest. 

Wow that compound is still up there it's been there for 10+ years. I wanted to retire to deposit,but the whole fracking war pushed me away.

I thought for sure this state was going to flip red with all the Trump trains and boat rallies.I don't know if that went on up here but I see a lot of Trump flags and no safe act signs.

My main point for even reply in this thread is if your quality of life sucks do something about it other then complian.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Wow that compound is still up there it's been there for 10+ years. I wanted to retire to deposit,but the whole fracking war pushed me away.

I thought for sure this state was going to flip red with all the Trump trains and boat rallies.I don't know if that went on up here but I see a lot of Trump flags and no safe act signs.

My main point for even reply in this thread is if your quality of life sucks do something about it other then complian.

Nobody gets out to vote upstate or better yet, was there election fraud????? Lol.  How come nobody has looked into the soros led rigged elections of nys?  

Id love to see how many trump flag boaters actually voted.  And yes, We agree, if you hate nys that much, then bounce.  Nobody is physically stopping you.   Maybe emotionally stopping you but physically, nope. 

Edited by diplomat019
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

What would you protest? Why should anyone do anything about an Islamic compound? Do You fear what you don't understand? No one votes because your vote doesn't mean shit anywhere. I raise my kids here because schools are the best in the country. I wont die here. 

10 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

What would you protest? Why should anyone do anything about an Islamic compound? Do You fear what you don't understand? No one votes because your vote doesn't mean shit anywhere. I raise my kids here because schools are the best in the country. I wont die here. 

Actually NYS schools are number 12 even though we are number 1 in spending per child....

• Like 1

Just now, ApexerER said:

Actually NYS schools are number 12 even though we are number 1 in spending per child....

Where I live the district I'm in is phenomenal.  I bought a house here on purpose. It's possible when you factor in the entire state, poor rural areas and poor urban areas are everywhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmartinson said:

Where I live the district I'm in is phenomenal.  I bought a house here on purpose. It's possible when you factor in the entire state, poor rural areas and poor urban areas are everywhere. 

We still spend more money than any other state per student, another reason our budget is so high....We aren't getting what we pay for when there are 11 States with better schools. Not saying yours isn't great......just in general..

33 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

i was referring to the fellas who talk about all they would do, but then dont do anything.  Great post about islamburg from years ago.  The one that had about 10 people show for lol.  All the talk about protesting is just that.  Talk.  

your vote does mean sh*t.  Thats why we had cuomo beat astorino.  If upstate got out to vote cuomo wouldnt have happened.  

And let me say this.  Many people agree with me.  Smart people.  The smartest people some say. 

27 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

And you have a great district cause you pay teachers a good salary.  Now go to podunk florida and see what the education is like there when you tell a teacher they will make 35-40k. You attract nobody. Westchestwr has great schools cause the taxes are astronomical.   

Illegal aliens are being flown into Westchester County during the middle of the night and then taken by bus to NYC , given a free cell phone and a rppf over their heads and meals etc. After 30 days they get residency and can vote. And Hochul has a few million in the budget just for them and they will get all the welfare they need. Seems like this is the only steady group moving into NY State, all paid for of course by taxpayers.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, greg54 said:

Illegal aliens are being flown into Westchester County during the middle of the night and then taken by bus to NYC , given a free cell phone and a rppf over their heads and meals etc. After 30 days they get residency and can vote. And Hochul has a few million in the budget just for them and they will get all the welfare they need. Seems like this is the only steady group moving into NY State, all paid for of course by taxpayers.

Most of them came here to work and make money. They'll go where ever the jobs are and affordable housing and it sure as hell ain't westchester or the five boroughs.I've been up here for six months and met three couples[legal immigrants] from long island that came up here because of the affordable housing.Work is work they'll do sixteen hour shifts.I was in Herkimer last week and saw a group of immigrants in walmart as soon as they get a little english under there belt they'll be working there.