On/Off Road Truck Tires

CharlieNY

My 2018 Silverado Crew Cab with the Z71 off road package came with Goodyear Wrangler all terrain Fortitude tires. To make it short these tires were the worst tires I ever had on a truck. They were terrible on wet pavement and snow and were worthless in mud or off road. I got a screw through 1 tire last year which I got plugged and last week I tore a sidewall on another tire on a tractor path. Tires had 21000 miles. I needed a new set of tires and ended up buying a new set of Cooper Discoverer AT/3 4S tires after talking to my tire dealer and explaining my needs. I was wondering if anyone else has the Cooper tires and what your experience has been with them. Thanks.         valoroutdoors.com

I have had no luck with Goodyear tires. They wear horribly. I put a set of Cooper Discoverer's on my previous Ram and was very pleased with the wear on them. When the factory Goodyear's are ready to be replaced on my current Silverado (just about there with 22K miles), I will be replacing them with Cooper's.

• Thanks 1

Cooper makes a consistent tire.

Hercules is a brand offshoot from Cooper.

Toyo Open Country AT3 have been great for me. First Toyos I have purchased and very impressed. I have C load 6 ply. 10 ply E Load is pretty rigid and stiff for alot of people. 

• Like 1

I run the Falken wild peak at3w and have been very happy with their performance. When I was shopping I had it down to the Copper discoverers , General grabber at3 and of course the Falkens , the real world and pages and pages of various off road forum’s positive reviews on the Falkens is what sold me on them . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

Interesting , I had the Wrangler tires on my Z71 Colorado but the All Terrain  ones , I replaced them early, at 33k like I do all my tires  . After a lot of reading I bought the same AT tires .

More aggressive then the Fortitudes .

Im not a vehicle or tire guy  though lol . 

Some who buy new , have the dealer put on the tires they want from the get go , which is nice as they get what they want and others looking to save money can buy the , new take offs , for a decent savings .

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

I run the Falken wild peak at3w and have been very happy with their performance. When I was shopping I had it down to the Copper discoverers , General grabber at3 and of course the Falkens , the real world and pages and pages of various off road forum’s positive reviews on the Falkens is what sold me on them . 

I used wildpeaks also and liked them. I do believe they were designed to be a lighter off-road tire for SUVs and may not be heavy enough for a larger truck. 

I have Falken wildpeaks on my 95 chevy gone thru woods fields dirt road and paved with them very good tire. 

Even had good enough traction to pull my kubota out the the pond thru the ice this winter!!!

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, left field said:

I used wildpeaks also and liked them. I do believe they were designed to be a lighter off-road tire for SUVs and may not be heavy enough for a larger truck. 

I run load range C’s on my f150 and I talked my boss into running them on his 3500 dura max dually (10 ply E’s ) . He did his research and found lots of guys like them for there 1 ton diesel’s as they hold up very well. If you look into it the load range E’s are a bit harder compound and wear very well . 

Edited by rob-c

30 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I run load range C’s on my f150 and I talked my boss into running them on his 3500 dura max dually (10 ply E’s ) . He did his research and found lots of guys like them for there 1 ton diesel’s as they hold up very well. If you look into it the load range E’s are a bit harder compound and wear very well . 

Maybe that was my problem with the Wildpeaks. For the first time ever I did not get load range E's for the truck and I blew through those tires in about 25,000 miles. Maybe I will give them another shot in load range E. 

5 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Maybe that was my problem with the Wildpeaks. For the first time ever I did not get load range E's for the truck and I blew through those tires in about 25,000 miles. Maybe I will give them another shot in load range E. 

What were you running them on ? 

2 hours ago, rob-c said:

What were you running them on ? 

F-150. I do tow a utility trailer about 8-10 times a year and a camping trailer 6-8 times a year. It's not a lot of miles but it's probably enough. 

Everyone raves about the wildpeaks so I was shocked when they where gone that quickly. 

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

F-150. I do tow a utility trailer about 8-10 times a year and a camping trailer 6-8 times a year. It's not a lot of miles but it's probably enough. 

Everyone raves about the wildpeaks so I was shocked when they where gone that quickly. 

Interesting , older truck ? Possible bad front end parts ? 

13 hours ago, rob-c said:

Interesting , older truck ? Possible bad front end parts ? 

Eh, this was a few years ago and it was on a 2013 so not that really old of a truck. Tires where rotated and wore evenly. They just wore way faster than expected.

• Like 1