Fall Turkey Season 2012

landtracdeerhunter

• 1 month later...

lots of birds out in field now picking hoppers/crickets. no dog join the 99% of us that don't have one. follow scratchings, the leaves are kicked up behind the birds, find food they are eating, learn to kee kee, and kee kee run, along with whistling. if you can get above a flock and run into them to break them up(you may need to do multiple breaks if birds only splint into 2 groups head in the direction they flew and they will fly out of trees and scatter again) go to spot you broke them up of within reasonable distance 50 yrs perhaps. set up and call!! birds will come back most are very vocal! A group of adult gobblers is an entire different thing and is the hardest turkey hunting there is. but hit a mixed flock and have fun!!!

Thanks for the response G-Man. I've seen that a few times about 'busting up the flock.' This seems like a silly question, but do you actually run at the birds and they fly away? Can you call a fall turkey in w/ out busting the flock?

Yes you can call in fall flock without flushing them. I hunted them for years before I got a dog all I would do is call using lost hen yelps with a high pitched longbox that could also kee kee.

got 3 opening morn. i got 1 (tom) dad got 1(hen) and best friend got 1 (tom) my fav way is just run around and look for em and then run an gun, we were actually on our way back to camp in my friends gmc jimmy (our Camp is Way offroad back in the middle of our land) we had drove to were we were hunting anyway we were drivin along and i saw some turkeys dissapearing into the woods up a ridge so we stopped got out our guns loaded them and ran up the ridge i saw 1 and got him w 1 shot them while i was takin him back to the vehicle my dad shot his farther on up the ridge and while we were up w him lookin at his we flushed a couple more and got some flyin shots then we took a walk back thru a swamp in the direction they flew one flew up and me and my friend both shot him ( he shot first and it Kept flying as it fell so i shot it again) any way we all carried our turkeys back threw em in and drove back to camp were we gutted em and then went home it was really fun tho.... both toms had 1/2 spurs and mine had a 7 in Beard and my friends had an 8 in. The next day was my birthday when i turned 15 and we had a bunch of my friends over and ate our turkeys...

Have a flock that I have been keeping an eye on for quite a while, about 18 now. Mostly good size poults but 2 hens and 3 young jakes. The question, how many is too many in an area. Should I take a hen or let them go. This is an area where turkey numbers have been low for years. Edit: I'll post some video as soon as I can figure out how to get it on here.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

they have been low here as well for last 5 years , but there are 3 mixed flocks around. had a great hatch! I know most people like their gobblers spring or fall, but i like to hear em and hunt them best in spring. I prefer to take a big hen in fall. I leave the gobblers/ jakes for spring. especially this year as my nephew will be experiancing his firs spring hunt! jake love to come to calls easily, as do 2 year olds. I'll take a hen this fall!! A good nest can have up to 12-14 eggs so if there are 18 birds in your flock with 2 hens, i try for one of them. the remaining poults will have at least 8-10 jennys... to lay eggs come spring. those 3 jakes will be 2 year old gobblers and maybe its just me but seems there are never enough gobblers around in the spring! i'd leave em alone.

hi ,ok i dont want anybodys secrect spot just a generalized idea of where to start tomanex state land or bearspring mnt for turkeys also looking @ lake superior state pk im going up wed-fri my friend i usellly hunt /w cant go [81 yrs old eye problem] we pay to hunt deer $45 a day in white lake i uselly hunt there for him easy walking and ground blind im going by myself any info would be apriated and keep a well guarded secret[haha]ill going for turkeys