Fisher ?

luberhill

That's a great first picture.  Those choppers and claws are impressive.  They are well equipped.  I saw one race up a tree after a grey squirrel, the squirrel jumped to another tree and the fisher followed.  There was a scuffle and some noise.  It was over in a flash and the fisher came down with the squirrel in its mouth.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jperch said:

That's a great first picture.  Those choppers and claws are impressive.  They are well equipped.  I saw one race up a tree after a grey squirrel, the squirrel jumped to another tree and the fisher followed.  There was a scuffle and some noise.  It was over in a flash and the fisher came down with the squirrel in its mouth.

I saw the same thing hunting one day. That fisher was up and on top of that squirrel before the squirrel even new what it wanted to do.  Was insane how fast it was in the trees and on the ground.

Turkeys are also on the list of critters that a fisher targets. Several years ago I roosted a big tom in a big hemlock.  Next morning I was 60yrds from that tree. Was misting rain, but he was very vocal and tommy started gobbling. Seen some movement 20 yards to my left and watched a fisher climb that tree on the opposite side of the tom. That thing stalked that tom, and only moved when he gobbled. The tom was probably 20' out from the trunk on a large limb.  Dam fisher was inching closer on the bottom of the limb, but the tom spotted him and flew off.  I killed that tom later that morning sitting by the same tree I watched the fisher from. I know it was the sametom because he had two tail feathers missing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattypotpie8S said:

Don't think he could take it. Furbearer hunting/trapping is closed.

You might be right. I know you have to get the pelt sealed when the season is open. I was thinking maybe the D.E.C. might want to collect some data from it. 

6 hours ago, sbuff said:

Great porcupine control 

Not working where I am.  There's a are at least three I see on my cams often and we still got loads of porcupine. Someone suggested they might be part of the reason I haven't seen a turkey in years.

12 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

This one looks a bit small for a fisher. Wondering if it might be a Pine Martin.

I haven't seen a lot of martens, probably 4 or 5,  but the largest wasn't half as big as that fisher in the picture...The martens I have seen ( in Alaska and Colorado)  were about the size of a  fox squirrel...

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I haven't seen a lot of martens, probably 4 or 5,  but the largest wasn't half as big as that fisher in the picture...The martens I have seen ( in Alaska and Colorado)  were about the size of a  fox squirrel...

You're probably right. The reason I said this one might be a marten is because it doesn't  look to be more than 3-4 pounds. The fishers I've seen were 8-10 pounds, and maybe more. They were also much longer, at about 40-45 inches.

Plus, any fishers I've seen were a uniform darker brown throughout, where this example has the big area of lighter buff coloring, more consistent  with a marten.

But I've been wrong before...

• Like 1