15# of fine ground Venison

6 Tablespoons of canning salt

1-1/2 Tablespoons of Tender Quick®

1-1/2 Tablespoons of Accent® seasoning

2 Tablespoons of Garlic Powder

2 Tablespoons of granulated Garlic

5 teaspoons of cayenne pepper powder

4 teaspoons of Black Peper

15 Tablespoons of water (1 Tablespoon short of 1 cup)

Recipe suggested instructions.

Combine the salt, Tender Quick® and Accent® with the ground deer meat. Knead the meat thoroughly to mix in the salt mixture. Place the meat in the refrigerator for two days, mixing well twice each day. Before mixing for the last time, add the remaining ingredients. (For dehydrator use add 6 Tablespoons of Liquid Smoke) form into 2” diameter discs about ½” thick and dehydrate.

MY INSTRUCTIONS

Combined all ingredients in a large container. Lightly sprinkle dry ingredients over as you mix to avoid clumping and uneven distribution. MIX well….when you think it is enough…mix more. Using a sausage stuffer or stuffing tub on a grinder stuff mixture into 19mm or 21mm collagen casings (not the brown ones) the 21mm casing take more time in the smoker. DO not try to mix the two sizes in one batch. Avoid having casings touch in the smoker. I was using a Propane smoker.

Set smoker to 150 and open vent. Place sticks in smoker for 1 hour with no wood added. Should about make the casing feel tacky to the touch. I added Mesquite chips at this point increased the smoker temp to 170 and left them in until they were done. I like a smoky flavor. The overall time in the smoker was about 5-1/2 hours for the 19mm and 7 hours for the 21mm sticks. I didn’t use a thermometer. I smoked until they were firm and snapped when bent. I don’t like mushy snack sticks but I don’t like tree twigs either. For a lighter smoky flavor keep chips in for first half the time at 170 degrees. Also other woods like Hickory (heavier smoke flavor) or Apple and Cherry (lighter flavor) will work too. This fall I am going to do a recipe that uses Maple wood and adds Maple syrup to the mix.

After cooling cut to desire length. I vacuum seald in packages 6' long and 8 sticks in each. THen into he Freezer.

TIPS

Cool at room temp (DO NOT COOL IN THE FRIDGE It will cause condensation and introduce moisture to the sticks).

I was on a schedule but I would have like to let the mixture sit in the fridge overnight prior to stuffing to let the ingredients settle throughout the mix.

Have a 3/8” stuffing tube for both casings. The 21mm just make it on the ½” tube and it isn’t fun. The 19mm will not make it on a ½” tube. We had to hold the 19mm casing in front of the ½’ tube and it was a 3 man operation.

This look's sound's great,where do you buy or get these caseing's from.Is summer sausage made the same way never made this myself always take to prosseser to make,sound's simple and tastey?

That is on my list to try this year. a different casing is used from what I gather. The snack sticks are an edible casing the bigger summer sausage casings aren't. It was pretty easy though. Just took time and a modification on my propane smoker because it didn't go down low enough for this method.

• 1 month later...

Lems has a web site....if you buy anything from them they will send you catalogs

with the dehydrator I'm not understanding the 2" disc 1/2' thick...and I notice no fats to keep them from drying out?...sounds like a great jerky gun recipe ...NOT a criticism...making sure I'm understanding before trying.....

Lems has a web site....if you buy anything from them they will send you catalogs

with the dehydrator I'm not understanding the 2" disc 1/2' thick...and I notice no fats to keep them from drying out?...sounds like a great jerky gun recipe ...NOT a criticism...making sure I'm understanding before trying.....

I think they are going for a jerky type disc. the snack sticks ate not as dried out as that. Mine were just a bit more moist than a slim jim and would break when bent. The discs would take too much room in the smoker but would plobably work ok on dehydrator trays.

Mine are all gone now. The first two deer are going to be totally put into sticks. (that sounded optimistic didn't it..lol)

looks nice

have you ever tried this I take a small strip about 6 inch long cut very thin I then place on shkabob sticks sprinkle lemon pepper on both sides lightly then place on BBQ for one minuet each side you can place in a zip lock bag and reheat when your ready to eat

papabear

• Like 2

looks nice

have you ever tried this I take a small strip about 6 inch long cut very thin I then place on shkabob sticks sprinkle lemon pepper on both sides lightly then place on BBQ for one minuet each side you can place in a zip lock bag and reheat when your ready to eat

papabear

I haven't but I will be...lol Thanks