Roscoe the fawn

Forest Hunter

I visit my woods almost daily. I know all of the deer around so i name them. This one buck fawn i named roscoe who i have not seen since late june showed up last evening while i was watching some beavers at a beaver pond. They're lways fun to watch swim around and widdle on some wood here and there. I saw Roscoe's mommy Renee come out first. I didnt think much of it until i saw Roscoe come out. I am either going crazy or i saw about 3 or 4" velvet spikes coming out of his head!? HAs anyone else seen this or is there something wrong with Roscoe. An early bloomer maybe, he had spots and all. I'll need to try and snap a

You name your deer...?... Roscoe.? Renee..?

I suppose you name your beavers also... Do you have a Wally and an Eddie Haskill..??

Exactly what are smoking while you are down there seeing fawns with antlers, naming your deer and watching your beavers swim around and "widdle'...?? << WINK >>...

Edited by Pygmy

I visit my woods almost daily. I know all of the deer around so i name them. This one buck fawn i named roscoe who i have not seen since late june showed up last evening while i was watching some beavers at a beaver pond. They're lways fun to watch swim around and widdle on some wood here and there. I saw Roscoe's mommy Renee come out first. I didnt think much of it until i saw Roscoe come out. I am either going crazy or i saw about 3 or 4" velvet spikes coming out of his head!? HAs anyone else seen this or is there something wrong with Roscoe. An early bloomer maybe, he had spots and all. I'll need to try and snap a

I guess anything is possible. Try to get a picture, that would be cool. I did a lot of hunting in Roscoe, I like the name.

Lol ..... I think this is quite funny because I have also had occasion to name certain deer that might have some outstanding feature. Usually it is a name that has less human attributes though .... lol. I do remember the "Bog Buck", which was a huge buck that hung around a small swampy area on top of the hill. And then there was "Old Knobby" that had a right antler that was a normal 4 points, but the other side was a straight 6" antler that had a big blob of antler at the end ..... a pretty weird looking dude.

As far as an antlered fawn, I've got no clue as to how common that may be. I'm thinking that I have seen some tiny little spike bucks that had little 3" or 4" spikes that may have been fawns of that year, but I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to whether they were that year's fawns or not.

oh, never mind. I mighta' got a warning for what I was gonna' post.

I don't want to tarnish my perfect record. <<grin>>

• Like 1

I had a buck on my property who was VERY neat and tidy..

He always hung out where there pretty wildflowers, and instead of sparring with the other bucks, he had tea parties with the does...

He snorted with a lisp...

I named him "Bruce"....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

I had a buck on my property who was VERY neat and tidy..

He always hung out where there pretty wildflowers, and instead of sparring with the other bucks, he had tea parties with the does...

He snorted with a lisp...

I named him "Bruce"....

Sounds like the kind of deer that when he see's you he runs backwards toward you cause he is so happy to see you packin..

I mean a gun... geeze.

I've noticed most deer all have their own unique things about them. So it's easy to recognize a deer if you pay attention to them. I'm talking about does mostly. Bucks are always easy to tell apart haha

I haven't seen Roscoe since then. Well at least culvercreek hunt club said it was possible that fawns could have antlers. Maybe he did get into some nuclear dumping sites haha

Many years ago I shot a small buck that was with a doe and a fawn. The buck was the same size as the doe fawn. I watched them for quite a while and finally decided the spikes were at the 3" minimum. As a kid it didn't take much convincing to take him. Dad and I had a Doe permit (back when you needed more than one on them) and even if they didn't measure 3" I was OK. Well one measured 2-1/2" and the other was 3-1/8". I know that one had to be a fawn.

Forest Hunter..Thanks for being a good sport ( chuckle)..

I have seen a couple of precocious fawns with visible antlers, certainly bigger than buttons.

Then of course, I remember a couple of early developing girls in junior high that had racks bigger than normal for thier age, too..<wink>...

• Like 2

Forest Hunter..Thanks for being a good sport ( chuckle)..

I have seen a couple of precocious fawns with visible antlers, certainly bigger than buttons.

Then of course, I remember a couple of early developing girls in junior high that had racks bigger than normal for thier age, too..<wink>...

Didn't take much convincing for me to go after those either...

• Like 1