best western state for game tags

mac

I know nothing about Moose.

I am going to Wyoming in October for Mule Deer/Antelope combo hunt. The guide took care of the process of getting licenses for me. They are expensive, but I got them.

I know Colorado definitely has over the counter Elk tags for many units.

Are you doing a DIY hunt? or hiring a guide? If you are hiring a guide, they will give you all the info, etc.

CO and AZ have the most OTC tags available. Still, it really depends on what you want to hunt. When I looked for moose this past year, AK and ME had the best oppurtunities. MT is all draw now for non-resident and one of the most expensive too. If I were just starting to plan, I would look at CO first and AZ next for elk. Then maybe WY or CO for Mule deer. Any of the three for Antelope. From what I read bear hunting might be best out east here, cheaper too. If you have the money, you can check out Cabela's TAG system that will help you out, but you pay their fee.

I have hunted the western states for over 60 years and been going there for over 74, my personal choices are for archery mule deer or whitetail, Utah, followed by Colorado and Wyoming.

Archery elk, Wyoming and Colorado

any moose, Wyomiong and Colorado, 10 points is a lock, a decade goes by very fast too.

muzzleloader elk Utah then Colorado

rifle elk, Colorado naturally, then Wyoming, and Utah then Idaho, maybe Idaho before Utah. many tags are easy to get in idaho and famrers are happy to have hunters kill the elk and deer in their fields.

bear is colorado then wyoming then montana

big horns is wyoming with the bow

bison is utah then south dakota

stop in any fish and wildlife office and they are happy to help you likewise all the BLM places for camping and access, national forest offices are very good too if you get permanent employees not seasonals, and all national parks except for Teton are pricks.

• 3 months later...