Deer shot illegally at Hortonville Cemetery with a crossbow

burmjohn

Check out the story here: http://www.sc-democrat.com/news/0008August/31/news3.htm

It looks like someone shot a deer with a crossbow, and it sprayed some blood over a few gravestones at a local cemetery.  Hopefully they catch the poacher.  They must have found the arrow, otherwise how would they know it was shot with a crossbow?

Thanks to Antlers to sent me over the story.

Lets see crossbows aren't illegal to own they are illegal to hunt with.  So I guess if you are a poacher you could use one right now, right??  If you are going to be illegal might as well go all the way.

People give people a bad name it isn't a bow, gun or crossbow that does it.

but its easier and quieter with a cross bow you can shoot 50 yrds at night.

Given perfect conditions, sure, then you can walk around through the dark and track the deer with flashlights, attracting attention, etc. It would be alot easier to use a 22 shot to their head and drop them where they are standing. Not much noise, can get out alot further than a crossbow with more consistency.

You could shoot your bow out to 50 yards at night as well.

While we are in speculation mode as to how this crime was pulled off, heres mine, maybe it was an NYB member trying to provide proof of their organization's claims. ;)

I think the point erussel was trying to make was that crossbows could become the weapon of choice for poachers.Their quiet and can be shot from inside a vehicle.That doesnt  mean that they should be outlawed.

As others said, why could they become if they are not now? Anyone in the state can own one now.

tell me you base your opinion on having researched states where crossbows have been legal to hunt with and you have the figures that prove they are the poachers weapon of choice. Looking forward to reading the reports.