Shed base[not antlers]

rachunter

I have to move a shed to get a few loads of dirt delivered. Right now it's just sitting on a few bricks which are sinking into the ground more and more every year.I was thinking RCA or stone ? Also I don't know the proper name for them but I see sheds up here with "skidder boards"[??] on the bottoms to slide the shed around.This is how i'd like to move the shed.It's a 7'x14' shed. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Without doing a concrete pad you could do a pad of 4" number 2 crusher run stone. I would lay a fabric down first then the stone and compact it. The best look would be to remove 4" of earth then lay the fabric then the stone but that's a lot of work depending on if you have the machines to do it. You could also just lay the fabric then the stone right on top of existing grade and just have your shed sit 4" higher than the surrounding area which really isn't a bad thing. 

The problem with only doing bricks or pavers is if they don't have a stone base to them the will eventually sink over time and it will have to be redone at some point. You could just do a stone base under the bricks or pavers as well.  

• Like 3

I would agree with @Moho81Thats how I prepared the base for my shed. I kept my shed raised so it is not sitting in water during rain or spring melt off. As for moving it, the skid boards work but I have also moved a few buildings by jacking up one end and putting pipes or 4" PVC under them to act as rollers. You just need to get it started on the first pipe and then "leap frog" them forward as it moves. This is a trick I learned from my father who I believe help build the pyramids.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would agree with [mention=7992]Moho81[/mention]Thats how I prepared the base for my shed. I kept my shed raised so it is not sitting in water during rain or spring melt off. As for moving it, the skid boards work but I have also moved a few buildings by jacking up one end and putting pipes or 4" PVC under them to act as rollers. You just need to get it started on the first pipe and then "leap frog" them forward as it moves. This is a trick I learned from my father who I believe help build the pyramids.

The pvc pipe is how I was going to do it after watching a few YouTube videos. I saw a guy up here moving one which the skidders and a lawn tractor. I already have the 4x6’s so I might go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slabs won’t work up here the rock heaves are out of control. This shed is getting converted over to a skinning/butchering shed so it doesn’t need to be on the ground. I’ll most likely leave the skidders on it.
63457a510c1934b196df8cc41957bad4.jpg
This is one of seven rocks the heaved up this year.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ive got a skid base shed I placed on wide pavers. [mention=1547]Treeguy[/mention] helped me get it in place, we yanked it around no problem using the winch on his side by side. Its way too high though, im going to lower it if WE EVER GET SOME DECENT FREAKING WEATHER!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

0b952be021766c0e3daf341802a2de5c.jpg
Lowered and leveled, now to landscape it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have to move a shed to get a few loads of dirt delivered. Right now it's just sitting on a few bricks which are sinking into the ground more and more every year.I was thinking RCA or stone ? Also I don't know the proper name for them but I see sheds up here with "skidder boards"[??] on the bottoms to slide the shed around.This is how i'd like to move the shed.It's a 7'x14' shed. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

851d7f6b6e4a4c811250e2257e67302a.png

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, rachunter said:

I’m going finish up this project today. Wondering if it’s better to leave the shed on the stone or lift it to let airflow?
63441b5e0de822d9fcca839cae5c29e6.jpg

I was told some airflow will dissuade critters from wanting to live under it so mines off the ground a few inches

• Like 1

I simply built a platform under it , easy to level it up that way . I have some weight in my little shed , 8 stacked tires on rims , snowblower etc .

Waiting for my nephew to get me some pavers from a job , that he redoes into fancy stone work , so I can dress it up .

C9A44134-CA47-4B20-93D9-E2EC62D964D4.jpeg

13 hours ago, Nomad said:

I simply built a platform under it , easy to level it up that way . I have some weight in my little shed , 8 stacked tires on rims , snowblower etc .

Waiting for my nephew to get me some pavers from a job , that he redoes into fancy stone work , so I can dress it up .

C9A44134-CA47-4B20-93D9-E2EC62D964D4.jpeg

My problem was the mud if you look below the back of my van you can see the hole i had to dig the shed out of.

• Like 1