So Mrs Nomads computer was “ hacked “

Nomad

So she messed up , I won’t go into those details , but it happened around 5 on a Monday evening. Jumped in the truck to bring it to The Geek Squad , on the drive she called the bank  and froze ,  two checking, two savings ( we have separate ones ) two investment accts. Debt, and CC. That took 20 minutes , which brings up an important point , you may not have time to freeze things before they can  gain access , and that was just one of many calls we had to make . Geek guy said the money is generally gone pretty fast ,so being there 20 minutes later was a good sign, and no remote access software was  installed .

Geek Squad took it right in and checked a few things, but it needed to stay . We got it back Wednesday, and went to the bank Thursday to unfreeze, change passwords etc . We belong to the banks Private Client program so,we work with a dedicated person there , she also installed 24/7 identity protection, credit report and credit usage monitoring. Hey I’m a 800 but the Mrs is higher dang .

We got a new IP address via new modem and router .

Changed a boat load of passwords .

Some of my take a ways , cash on hand comes in handy , needed to beef up our online security sooner we were to lax there , I really like hard assets ,land, bullets ,guns ,cash , gold , food , tools ,but the reality is our investments into other areas are needed, but they are little more then numbers on a screen that can disappear in a few keystrokes .  

This went fairly well, but I’ve since heard some pretty bad stories , months long battles trying to reclaim those numbers on a screen .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Glad you made out okay. We have LastPass for everything, phones use fingerprints to unlock the VPN that all our accesses get routed through. And I'm still paranoid. Particularly when I'm having a conversation in a store, get home, and there's an ad on my computer for the thing I was talking about. It's a scary world sometimes.

All my old passwords used to be some simple combination of a fish and a number. Lol. Twenty years ago. I've heard the stories too, and don't need another headache. The existing ones suffice.

• Like 2

I may seem old when I say this but both my wife and I have smart phones and never do anything with them other than sending Texts and Pictures .... no Banking , Buying , Social Networks or the like ! I realize you said it was your computer but we're even hesitant to do any of that with the home computer . We also have the Credit Monitoring in place hoping that will save us in case !

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Glad you made out okay. We have LastPass for everything, phones use fingerprints to unlock the VPN that all our accesses get routed through. And I'm still paranoid. Particularly when I'm having a conversation in a store, get home, and there's an ad on my computer for the thing I was talking about. It's a scary world sometimes.

All my old passwords used to be some simple combination of a fish and a number. Lol. Twenty years ago. I've heard the stories too, and don't need another headache. The existing ones suffice.

I’m an Apple guy, she is not ,although we both have iPhones and don’t do any financial stuff on them . I’ll look into lastpass ,thanks .

So I’m at my nephews in Tenn. I have my phone in my pocket , that’s it no Alexa, nothing else . He tells me about a device he has on his water line that tracks usage , and therefore can detect if he gets a leak , and it then shuts it down .

The next day an ad for that product was on my Instagram ! Usually the only ads I get are for campers, and lonely women nearby .

• Like 1

Just now, Nomad said:

I’m an Apple guy, she is not ,although we both have iPhones and don’t do any financial stuff on them . I’ll look into lastpass ,thanks .

So I’m at my nephews in Tenn. I have my phone in my pocket , that’s it no Alexa, nothing else . He tells me about a device he has on his water line that tracks usage , and therefore can detect if he gets a leak , and it then shuts it down .

The next day an ad for that product was on my Instagram ! Usually the only ads I get are for campers, and lonely women nearby .

Same thing happened to me , tacks and i were walking back to the truck after a hunt and he was telling me about a mitt that strips burrs off you clothes , i had never heard of it . Half way home i go on instagram or facebook (cant recall which one) and a paid advertisement pops up in my feed for the mitt that takes burrs off your clothes! 

• Like 1

So she messed up , I won’t go into those details , but it happened around 5 on a Monday evening. Jumped in the truck to bring it to The Geek Squad , on the drive she called the bank  and froze ,  two checking, two savings ( we have separate ones ) two investment accts. Debt, and CC. That took 20 minutes , which brings up an important point , you may not have time to freeze things before they can  gain access , and that was just one of many calls we had to make . Geek guy said the money is generally gone pretty fast ,so being there 20 minutes later was a good sign, and no remote access software was  installed .
Geek Squad took it right in and checked a few things, but it needed to stay . We got it back Wednesday, and went to the bank Thursday to unfreeze, change passwords etc . We belong to the banks Private Client program so,we work with a dedicated person there , she also installed 24/7 identity protection, credit report and credit usage monitoring. Hey I’m a 800 but the Mrs is higher dang .
We got a new IP address via new modem and router .
Changed a boat load of passwords .
Some of my take a ways , cash on hand comes in handy , needed to beef up our online security sooner we were to lax there , I really like hard assets ,land, bullets ,guns ,cash , gold , food , tools ,but the reality is our investments into other areas are needed, but they are little more then numbers on a screen that can disappear in a few keystrokes .  

This went fairly well, but I’ve since heard some pretty bad stories , months long battles trying to reclaim those numbers on a screen .

That’s annoying, that being said Private client is really a huge help. Even just having the dedicated number to call on the back of the card speeds up getting to a person in situations like this.

Oh and I think they offer some computer do’s and Don’ts classes for old folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2