Backyard chickens

Chef

So we are starting this journey today. Coop is in. Just have to put chicken wire two feet out for predators. Chicks will come Monday and the run will be built later in the week. We got lucky as a lady down the street is moving and had 6 10 month old

Chickens not starting from chicks.

5 brahma’s and 1 wellsummer.

8a87ccffafb12ebfc8dea07eb2059163.jpg

5398696a282972756d0549eeec189382.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Chef, don't use chicken wire.  It's easily torn and breached.  Use 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth or some sort of welded wire.  Chicken wire is good for keeping chickens in, but not predators out.  I've got HC 18" out from my coops. 

• Like 1

Chef, don't use chicken wire.  It's easily torn and breached.  Use 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth or some sort of welded wire.  Chicken wire is good for keeping chickens in, but not predators out.  I've got HC 18" out from my coops. 

Sorry I miss spoke this is what I bought

d2fb80927349136f7969c6e7697ab8be.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a converted out house ......... Good idea with the chicken wire .

https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-stand-up-chicken-coop/#1-choose-standard-or-xl-model-coop

This is the link to the coop and no I did not pay that bought it used and moved it with a dump truck and my gardners today

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

Sorry I miss spoke this is what I bought

d2fb80927349136f7969c6e7697ab8be.jpg

Perfect.   I've had coyote, coon and a stray dog try to dig in. They all failed. The fox and coyote didn't see another birthday. Dog got a pass.  

Roost and root... Not cheap.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

Perfect.   I've had coyote, coon and a stray dog try to dig in. They all failed. The fox and coyote didn't see another birthday. Dog got a pass.  

I live in suburbia but as crappy says my 22 is whisper quiet

• Like 4

Also, don't use staples to fasten the HC to the coop and run. Either sandwich it between a furing strip with screws, or use fender washers with screws. Staples are easier to fail.

Edited by mowin

Also, don't use staples to fasten the HC to the coop and run. Either sandwich it between a furing strip with screws, or use fender washers with screws. Staples are easier to fail.

I was thinking I would use heavy gauge staples and then build up earth so the staples are under ground…. Thoughts I also have a bunch of large stones, that I will put on top after I bury the HC

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

I was thinking I would use heavy gauge staples and then build up earth so the staples are under ground…. Thoughts I also have a bunch of large stones, that I will put on top after I bury the HC

Mowin is giving you tips from "real world" experience, I'd heed it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chef said:

The problem is the staples can still pull out if something is trying to dig in even if the stapled edge is buried.  Rocks help, but are not needed if you secure the HC properly.  

Also, grass will eventually grow through the HC, making it invisible. You'll be able too mow and trim up to the coop and not even know it's there.

The problem is the staples can still pull out if something is trying to dig in even if the stapled edge is buried.  Rocks help, but are not needed if you secure the HC properly.  
Also, grass will eventually grow through the HC, making it invisible. You'll be able too mow and trim up to the coop and not even know it's there.

What about a combo of staples and roofing nails or wide screws?

Or F it I’ll just go get a few strips of wood to sandwich it between

1 minute ago, Chef said:

What about a combo of staples and roofing nails or wide screws?

Or F it I’ll just go get a few strips of wood to sandwich it between

Fender washers with screws. Or sandwich HC between coop with another board.  Another reason not to bury it is the bottom edge of your coop will then be covered with dirt and rot quickly. I'd also put the coop on blocks to help air flow and potential rot.

https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-stand-up-chicken-coop/#1-choose-standard-or-xl-model-coop

This is the link to the coop and no I did not pay that bought it used and moved it with a dump truck and my gardners today

You have multiple gardeners?? Arent we in the same business ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

You definitely want the coop off the ground or it's going to rot quickly.  Blocks or 3  PT 4x4s would work. Both my coops are on 4x4's.  

Can't remember, does the roost and root have a floor?  Client had one but she passed, and I no longer do the lawn care.

You have multiple gardeners?? Arent we in the same business ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hahaha. Well one gardening service but he comes with his army of Pisans

You definitely want the coop off the ground or it's going to rot quickly.  Blocks or 3  PT 4x4s would work. Both my coops are on 4x4's.  
Can't remember, does the roost and root have a floor?  Client had one but she passed, and I no longer do the lawn care.

It does not have a floor no, the coop is up on pavers. Did that today and just whole body is now sore from it

4ba124e9d44abd2d3a7cc3316795d6e6.jpg
And don’t worry I fixed the bricks in the front

Looks good.  

Thanks… I’m not sure if I am going to build the run myself or just contract it out… if I do it by myself I’m thinking 4x4’s dug in and fill the hole with quick set.. the same HG with boards going across the top and at ground level. Then maybe a tin roof