Backyard chickens

Chef

I've got a few wellsummers. There eggs are almost chocolate in color.  

I’ve heard that… my long term or not so long term is to get a second coop and have the two coops connected by one run. The other one I would get some dual purpose birds and change that flock up once a year. If my kid can handle it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

I’ve heard that… my long term or not so long term is to get a second coop and have the two coops connected by one run. The other one I would get some dual purpose birds and change that flock up once a year. If my kid can handle it

I've got two coops with separate runs. I keep one each flock for two yrs and alternate one every yr. 

I don't do my one processing.  Got a local guy that does it for $6 a bird. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chef said:

Very well the Brahma is a cold hardy breed and lay all winter

Remember to put a light in the coop . Ideally they have 12-16hrs of light a day to continue laying. Otherwise your egg #s will really drop off during the shorter days.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That eggs are like $2 at the store and don't require a shovel?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I do though admire the self sufficient aspect of it though . I often think we should have built on this one  four acre chunk of our land , build a stocked pond, large garden , increase my canning , wood stove with an endless supply of firewood nearby , perhaps even solar panels. Deer well, they’re there too .

• Like 1

I do though admire the self sufficient aspect of it though . I often think we should have built on this one  four acre chunk of our land , build a stocked pond, large garden , increase my canning , wood stove with an endless supply of firewood nearby , perhaps even solar panels. Deer well, they’re there too .
Couldn't agree more. I would love all that esp if I was retired. A couple of friends of mine have done chickens etc and they calculate the eggs should be golden by the time your done. Lol but I would love to have all that myself too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Couldn't agree more. I would love all that esp if I was retired. A couple of friends of mine have done chickens etc and they calculate the eggs should be golden by the time your done. Lol but I would love to have all that myself too.

We had chickens for quite a few years when my kid was young . It would be her project, taking care of them collecting eggs etc..

She made out like a bandit selling 3-4 dozen eggs a day for 2-3$ a dozen.

We had more than that in chicken feed .lol. We know where the eggs where coming from and better than allowance(which she has never gotten..)

• Like 1

When I first got chicken my coop was made with pallets and a truck cap. 

I had 27 hens. When I was finally able to sell I couldn't keep up with the sales. They paid for all the food in winter and I hardly bought food in spring or summer, they were free range. 

They almost paid for the 10X12 shed I bought for them. 

I had fun with them, I ate a few

15 hours ago, ncountry said:

Remember to put a light in the coop . Ideally they have 12-16hrs of light a day to continue laying. Otherwise your egg #s will really drop off during the shorter days.

You actually should not do that. The chickens will still lay eggs if their strength is not needed to stay warm. Adding light during winter months is not beneficial to the birds health. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

You actually should not do that. The chickens will still lay eggs if their strength is not needed to stay warm. Adding light during winter months is not beneficial to the birds health. 

There are pros and cons....

https://www.strombergschickens.com/site/pros-and-cons-of-lighting-your-chicken-coop-in-winter/

3 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I just have a lamp with an 8 watt LED bulb on a timer that comes on early am through the winter months to give them the artificial light to keep them laying strong. Not saying I have never put a heat lamp in there when it was extremely cold, but it really is not necessary and haven't done that in years. If they are fully feathered they will survive the cold.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

What's interesting about back yard chickens ,if you don't use or get rid of the eggs you just scramble them up and feed them back to the chickens and that's weird .

They do have weird diets. In the past I really had to shew them away when cleaning fish. They loved fish parts..