Keto diet?

Cory

I'm going to guess that people over ate and drank during covid. I certainly did. Damn you, Mr. Negroni. 

Obviously, working out has huge benefits. Realistically though, the steady state cardio the majority of people do in the gym is pretty useless for any measurable body recomp. I used to cycle tour with no support, so my bike was loaded down with gear and came it at about 85lbs. Eight to ten hours in the saddle, up and down hills ... yeah, I lost weight even though I was probably eating 10,000 kcal per day. 

• Like 1

I did Keto years ago and it worked, but after a while I felt like crap. I put on the covid 19+ like a lot of others. I started with Intermittent fasting (no calories after 8pm until noon the next day) which is just a fancy way of saying I don't eat breakfast. During the 8 hrs. that i can eat, I am more selective, high protein, lower carbs, avoid white bread, pasta & sugar.

I also started using the My fitness Pal app to track my calories. (it's free) I was surprised to find out how many calories I was actually eating. So far I have lost 35lbs. shooting for 25 more. It has definitely become much easier and is becoming more of a lifestyle change. And i have not done any drastic increase in exercise. I walk on the treadmill a bit but most of my exercise comes from chores (splitting wood burns calories).

Good luck to all of you trying to better yourself.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

I did Keto years ago and it worked, but after a while I felt like crap. I put on the covid 19+ like a lot of others. I started with Intermittent fasting (no calories after 8pm until noon the next day) which is just a fancy way of saying I don't eat breakfast. During the 8 hrs. that i can eat, I am more selective, high protein, lower carbs, avoid white bread, pasta & sugar.

I also started using the My fitness Pal app to track my calories. (it's free) I was surprised to find out how many calories I was actually eating. So far I have lost 35lbs. shooting for 25 more. It has definitely become much easier and is becoming more of a lifestyle change. And i have not done any drastic increase in exercise. I walk on the treadmill a bit but most of my exercise comes from chores (splitting wood burns calories).

Good luck to all of you trying to better yourself.

Thanks to Covid and working from home I lost 20-25lbs in 2020 from March to July. I eat dinner between 5-6pm and unless I'm out to dinner or at a party, i don't eat past 8pm. I've always ate pretty healthy day to day, but my wife went on a strong organic/health food kick when my daughter was born in 2020. I also was never a big breakfast guy, but love my iced coffee (straight black) every morning. So in a way I guess I am intermittent fasting.

I never was much of a believer in the organic stuff, but after eating like this for 2 years I feel better than ever. I still drink a lot when I party. I still overeat at restaurants from time to time. But everything in moderation is fine. Energy, body and overall I feel 23 again instead of 38 and that's even with lack of sleep due to a 2 year old, etc. I also lift 3X/week at home with dumbbells' since 2020 which I couldn't do in the office. I don't plan cardio per se, but I'm constantly outside and tons of hills. My iphone has me around 4-5 miles per day and many days I'm over 30 flights of stairs. 

• Like 3

On 4/18/2022 at 12:26 PM, crappyice said:

Good luck….are you following a meal plan? Care to share? I need to drop 30 and will play along with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I dropped 30 I'd be nothing but pecker and eyeballs.....

• Haha 1

Here is some real evidence on exercise . This last year I had a nerve issue in my groin . I couldn't exercise for 7 months. Before it happened I was running 4 miles a day and doing light weight lifting. My resting heart rate was 46. My physical in December had my resting heart rate at 80. I'm back to running now for two months. Up to 3 miles and have gotten my resting heart-rate down to 56. Lost 7 lbs on this diet also. Feel much better!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, crappyice said:

Worst part of Keto…helping the Mrs clean up after dinner my kids left behind.
b22afaae5052d2c932e49dee3c5282f1.jpg

What’s even worse as I’m cooking chicken and spinach in walks my wife with a pizza for her and the kids. It smelled so damn good.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, Nomad said:

lol . I feel my biggest downturn happened around age 57-58 , time will tell .

I saw little difference in my physical abilities until about 50...Between 50-60, there was a noticable decrease, but not extreme...After 60, I started going to hell much faster..BIG difference between 60-70...Now that I am in my 70s, I see a big  difference every year...<<sigh>>.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I saw little difference in my physical abilities until about 50...Between 50-60, there was a noticable decrease, but not extreme...After 60, I started going to hell much faster..BIG difference between 60-70...Now that I am in my 70s, I see a big  difference every year...<<sigh>>.....

The last 5 years for me the decline has been noticeable . I spend more time stretching, and I actually practice getting up,off the floor with out using my hands . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, left field said:

^ Throw some Turkish Get Ups into the mix.

Shit son I was doing those 15 years ago I’d use an Olympic bar, I was up to 75 pounds , five reps each arm . Heres an attempt at a come back  bare bar a few years ago . To many injuries to continue.

B524DC04-B6C2-4DB4-A7CF-2503C4F25D73.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

Being overweight is the single worse malady that effects  overall health. It can be positively linked to just about every health problem, diabetes which can lead to nerve damage and eye problems, stroke, high blood pressure, heart health, joint wear and tear, fatty liver, sleep apnea and the list goes on. Keeping your weight in the right range for your body is the single most important thing a person can do for their overall health. Being fat will catch up to you sooner or later especially as you age.

As for diets I am in the low carb, zero sugar camp, variations of the Stillman, Keto and Atkins methods have worked well for me for many years.

Youtube Doctors and Authors Dr Eric Berg, Dr Sten Ekberg and Dr Jason Fung are some of the best experts on these types of health and life style.

Exercise is important for condition but is only worth about 25% in your weight picture, diet the other 75%.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

14 days in 14 lbs. gone . After a quick start the pounds have hit a lull. Gotta keep grinding. I must say that my energy is way down . But It maybe from early starts at work with baseball practice or a game everyday. 

• Like 1

14 days in 14 lbs. gone . After a quick start the pounds have hit a lull. Gotta keep grinding. I must say that my energy is way down . But It maybe from early starts at work with baseball practice or a game everyday. 

When you stall try a egg fast

When you stall try a egg fast

Seems easy enough….and probably my plan for Wed-Friday this week.
I get what AT and other have said about these fad diets and no way are they sustainably healthy - but They do seem a good reset when things are off the rails!

8 hours ago, Cory said:

I have no idea what protocol you are following but I would look at a limited timed refeed to replenish leptin and glycogen. Also, it's very good for the mind when you're on a diet. Don't discount that. 

A refeed is basically a carb "meal" after a workout. Keep protein the same, add a small amount of fat and up the carbs. This isn't a "cheat meal" as it's too easy to forget the diet when you cheat and open the gate, but rather part of the diet that allows you to get to the next level. Eat a couple of bagels, kids' cereal, a plate of french fries. Not a cheesecake.

After a refeed you will wake up more energised and with "full" muscles. 

After dropping only 5 pounds after two weeks of what I thought was Keto(probably ate too many calories in nuts and dairy), I decided to do a 3 day fast the last three days and ripped off another 8 pounds. Good luck start.
For the next two weeks I’m going more normal diet/paleo but eating 6 small meals every 3 hours from 7:00am-10:00pm….keeping the booze away and no food after 10pm is where it’s at(I hope).
Energy is up and with spring eventually coming, more activity in my future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

After dropping only 5 pounds after two weeks of what I thought was Keto(probably ate too many calories in nuts and dairy), I decided to do a 3 day fast the last three days and ripped off another 8 pounds. Good luck start.
For the next two weeks I’m going more normal diet/paleo but eating 6 small meals every 3 hours from 7:00am-10:00pm….keeping the booze away and no food after 10pm is where it’s at(I hope).
Energy is up and with spring eventually coming, more activity in my future.

Hard to stay away from the beer and all the low calorie/ carb beer tasts like shit.