What "Interests" Have You Dropped Over The Years??

I used to shoot Skeet on a regular basis when,I was younger. In fact my first Job was as a " puller" from age 11 to 16. Shot my first 25 Straight at age 14. Won a registered Skeet 12 Gauge " Doubles" at around age 34. 

And then just Stopped.

When,I got out of High School,I decided to enter one of the many 10Ks or 6.2 mile Running races. I never ran more then twice a week though. 3 times Tops before a race . Best time was 44 Minutes Flat at weighing just over 200lbs.  That is a good time for a heavy Bodybuilder.  I ended up running in over 50 10Ks from age 18 to around age 40.  It was Fun- but,I had the wrong body type. Muscle or Fat- you weigh over 200 and you will not be running 32 minutes for 6.2 miles. I remember  Frank Shorter running past me in warmups before a Middletown- Orange Classic. You could see Ribs where even a moderate  amount of pectoral muscle should be.  Started to lose motivation.  Ran around 5  5Ks or 3.1 mile races  .

And then just stopped..

I went to a Hardcore Bodybuilding  Gym for Decades. And pushed the limit while staying away from Steroids. I had my Workout Journal always. 3 Times a week like now and Full Body. You get to the point where you know something will Break or Snap. Lost the motivation  to Lift in a Public Gym Atmosphere.  I have my own equipment  and train at home now. Medium weights. I have seen many injuries in the Gym. This one guy detached his Biceps Tendon from the Bone. Sounds just like a 22 caliber going off.  Going to Failure or beyond is not good for your Nervous system  as you get beyond 45 anyway. You can google it. Almost an attack on your Nervous System . When you are Younger- you can get away with it. Today,I train more like a MMA Fighter- but at home. 

Took up Martial Arts at age 22 after training in Boxing from age 15. Stayed with my Sensei for almost 13 Years. Stayed until,I Was totally Burned out from Training and especially  Teaching. I had to leave at age 34. Full time heavy warehouse Job- straight to the Gym to lift- home for a meal - martial arts from 7.15pm to 9pm. 

And NEVER got Tired-- until age 34. I can tell you that the Grappling and self defense training will catch up to you. You can only grind for so long.  I train by myself today and never miss a day.  Never made a Penny in all my years of Teaching either. Hopefully  Sensei was Thankful.

I got more into Hiking at age 30. The same year,I saw my 1st Wild Turkey. Dropped the ultra Heavy Squats and started to Hike up and down Mountains. 

Not much motivation  to Deer hunt. I go out once every few years for a few hours on the Rifle opener and walk slowly around and stand next to Trees like a big Orange for a few hours. I have seen many people- not just on this site- who hunt the Spring Gobbler for 1,2, or 3 days and call it a Season and hit the Lakes for Fishing. September  is a Fun month to Hike as,I see alot of Bucks very close- almost in Tackling range.   

So what " interests" have you dropped over the years ??

42 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

You mean besides skydiving, hang gliding, and alligator wrestling  ??

What I’m trying to figure out is how that other guy got the title,  most interesting man in the world for Dos Quis beer . You  my friend should have that title .

D9E5F35D-80F9-404F-B796-433E8A2AE865.jpeg

• Thanks 1

No longer turkey hunt. Used to love it, went out every weekend during spring season for years. Stopped several years ago. 

If turkey hunting was like a video game and they would come back alive after I shot them, maybe I would get back into it, as it was exciting. I have no use for wild turkey as food.  Would rather fish or deer hunt to relax and occasionally keep something for the table.

• Like 2

Too many to list.  Radio control cars, boats and planes, Tae-Kwon-Do, Dirt Bikes, Motorcycles (although i still have my last one) Camping (would still like to but all my friends are too fancy) Those are off the top of my head. 

• Like 1

I used to have fun hanging out all night with my friends , getting drunk and chasing girls all over town. Then I got married.                                                                       And then the fun just stopped.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, cutbait said:

No longer turkey hunt. Used to love it, went out every weekend during spring season for years. Stopped several years ago. 

If turkey hunting was like a video game and they would come back alive after I shot them, maybe I would get back into it, as it was exciting. I have no use for wild turkey as food.  Would rather fish or deer hunt to relax and occasionally keep something for the table.

I will never drop the Spring + Fall Turkey Hunting myself as well as the year round Hiking. Full Body Weight workout- 3 days a week and the Martial Arts.   

Men's softball = early 20's I was playing 4 nights a week and doubleheader sunday morning. Add in tournaments, practice, etc. and it was nearly 7 days a week. Once I started working in NYC, it made it too tough to get back north for weeknight games.

Golf = started playing in my late 20's with my grandfather and a few friends. Was playing 15-25 rounds per year thanks to 2 golf weekends per year with friends. My grandfather got too old to play. My best golf friend moved to California. Now with a 2-year old if I'm going to slip away for 5-6 hours it's to turkey hunt in May, or fish, or especially hunt in the Fall.

• Like 4

Used to shoot 3-D every weekend and shot indoor winter leagues for several years . Really though it’s access to them that’ hampers my interest local club stoped Indoor leagues and 3-D . Son snd I signed up to shoot at a local shop for indoor  and we were the only ones that signed up . I have lost interest in Turkey hunting ,  I bought my tags this years and will go out just not as much .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Men's softball = early 20's I was playing 4 nights a week and doubleheader sunday morning. Add in tournaments, practice, etc. and it was nearly 7 days a week. Once I started working in NYC, it made it too tough to get back north for weeknight games.

Golf = started playing in my late 20's with my grandfather and a few friends. Was playing 15-25 rounds per year thanks to 2 golf weekends per year with friends. My grandfather got too old to play. My best golf friend moved to California. Now with a 2-year old if I'm going to slip away for 5-6 hours it's to turkey hunt in May, or fish, or especially hunt in the Fall.

Same, children killed my vacation time so no more golf league every Thursday afternoon.  I can't stand not improving at something so I couldn't do just 9 holes a week.  If I'm playing I have to do at least 18, and another 18 in the weekends at least once a month.  

• Like 1

When I was a teenager and into my early 20's I used to do a lot of woodchuck hunting with my .222 Remington rifle in the Spring. Once wild turkeys were introduced back into my area I sold that rifle and have hunted turkeys during the May Spring season ever since.      valoroutdoors.com

• Like 1

Stopped fly fishing when my oldest came. Three in all now and between two jobs, kids and thier interests, you have to pick and choose. 

I have however picked up golf after a twenty year hiatus now that my kids are a bit older and have the bug. Getting the kids involved as well has been enjoyable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

I played volleyball and softball six nights a week. Also bowled and played in a bar pool league. I still play work golf but im not burning a weekend day on it

Golf was a mainstay in my life from 16-27 years old.....played a few fun tournaments every summer and with summers off was always available for that last second call to fill a foursome. During the winter months I used to shoot 3d archery and in an indoor .22 rifle league. Both were a ton of fun and were a good reason to get moving during the brutal wny winter months.
The one hobby that I haven't given up is downhill skiing. My wife is an avid skier so that makes the commitment to skiing every weekend during the winter alot easier. My now soon to be 8 year old stated when he was 4 and my 6 year started skiing when he was 22 months so we have a great time together all winter.
This turkey season is going to rough to find time to get out.....the first 2 weeks of May are packed with baseball games and tournaments so we shall see what time we have to hit the woods.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think I've officially given up ice fishing.  I used to go almost every weekend there was ice... but I haven't gone in years.  I still have all my gear, but the seats to my portable shanty now live on the boat.  

56774C34-92C4-4989-89D5-EAA897F3189D.jpeg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 5

Small game and bird hunting. In high school and throughout college and a little after I would chase pheasants, squirrels, rabbits, grouse and ducks on the regular. I did it with a close friend at the time but then life took us in separate directions and now I haven't small game or bird hunted in 12-15 years. 

Fly fishing. Same friend same time period. We went out from early spring through summer for salmon, steelhead and trout in the little local streams. I tried to get back into it during COVID when everything was shut down. Dug out all my gear and that's as far as it went. 

Working on cars. That ended when I could afford cars that didn't require weekly maintenance to keep them running. LOL. Now I just change oil and do brakes once in a while when they are needed. 

I still bowl once a week and enter into one big tournament which is even scaled back from when I was bowling twice a week, subbing every once in a while on another night and playing in 3-4 tournament a year.  

I still golf but now instead of 40+ rounds a year its about 20-25 max. A lot of family summer vacations take away entire weekends and that's perfectly ok by me. I can golf until I'm dead but the kids will only be kids for so long. 

I will say I took up Bow hunting about 6 years ago and that now takes over as a new "interest" that I probably spend way to much time doing and it's only going to get worse with my daughter now hunting. 

• Like 1

I used to shoot Skeet on a regular basis when,I was younger. In fact my first Job was as a " puller" from age 11 to 16. Shot my first 25 Straight at age 14. Won a registered Skeet 12 Gauge " Doubles" at around age 34. 
  And then just Stopped.
   When,I got out of High School,I decided to enter one of the many 10Ks or 6.2 mile Running races. I never ran more then twice a week though. 3 times Tops before a race . Best time was 44 Minutes Flat at weighing just over 200lbs.  That is a good time for a heavy Bodybuilder.  I ended up running in over 50 10Ks from age 18 to around age 40.  It was Fun- but,I had the wrong body type. Muscle or Fat- you weigh over 200 and you will not be running 32 minutes for 6.2 miles. I remember  Frank Shorter running past me in warmups before a Middletown- Orange Classic. You could see Ribs where even a moderate  amount of pectoral muscle should be.  Started to lose motivation.  Ran around 5  5Ks or 3.1 mile races  .
  And then just stopped..
  I went to a Hardcore Bodybuilding  Gym for Decades. And pushed the limit while staying away from Steroids. I had my Workout Journal always. 3 Times a week like now and Full Body. You get to the point where you know something will Break or Snap. Lost the motivation  to Lift in a Public Gym Atmosphere.  I have my own equipment  and train at home now. Medium weights. I have seen many injuries in the Gym. This one guy detached his Biceps Tendon from the Bone. Sounds just like a 22 caliber going off.  Going to Failure or beyond is not good for your Nervous system  as you get beyond 45 anyway. You can google it. Almost an attack on your Nervous System . When you are Younger- you can get away with it. Today,I train more like a MMA Fighter- but at home. 
   Took up Martial Arts at age 22 after training in Boxing from age 15. Stayed with my Sensei for almost 13 Years. Stayed until,I Was totally Burned out from Training and especially  Teaching. I had to leave at age 34. Full time heavy warehouse Job- straight to the Gym to lift- home for a meal - martial arts from 7.15pm to 9pm. 
  And NEVER got Tired-- until age 34. I can tell you that the Grappling and self defense training will catch up to you. You can only grind for so long.  I train by myself today and never miss a day.  Never made a Penny in all my years of Teaching either. Hopefully  Sensei was Thankful.
   I got more into Hiking at age 30. The same year,I saw my 1st Wild Turkey. Dropped the ultra Heavy Squats and started to Hike up and down Mountains. 
   Not much motivation  to Deer hunt. I go out once every few years for a few hours on the Rifle opener and walk slowly around and stand next to Trees like a big Orange for a few hours. I have seen many people- not just on this site- who hunt the Spring Gobbler for 1,2, or 3 days and call it a Season and hit the Lakes for Fishing. September  is a Fun month to Hike as,I see alot of Bucks very close- almost in Tackling range.   
  So what " interests" have you dropped over the years ??

Ah skeet skeet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Motocross and snowmobiles ,I still have my sled (sitting with the shocks pulled out). Sold my dirtbike almost 2 years ago . I would go riding any chance I got and raced on Sundays. Then all the work that comes with it felt exactly like work. The fun wasn't enough to keep.me going anymore. Breaking my foot in half in 2007 didn't help either.

Gave up the boat and trolling.  Started golf but shoulder injury ended it and bow hunting . Miss shooting dart league... dont miss the hangovers. I still ice fish a couple times a year and fly fish. Dont run bird dogs anymore not many grouse around anymore.  Dont duck and goose hunt after BIL messed his back up . Nobody to go with. Dont go to the fly tying shows anymore ....  damn I don't do much of anything anymore... stupid freaking thread .. now I'm bummed out .

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, johnplav said:

I think I've officially given up ice fishing.  I used to go almost every weekend there was ice... but I haven't gone in years.  I still have all my gear, but the seats to my portable shanty now live on the boat.  

56774C34-92C4-4989-89D5-EAA897F3189D.jpeg

When you finally want to clean house ( sell your Ice Fishing Gear ) Sell it here , plenty guys want to get into it ! Lots of good folks here !