What "Interests" Have You Dropped Over The Years??

I haven't ice fished in over ten years. And my trout stream obsession is past now too,replaced by bowhunting deer. There is only so much time one has for hobbies,I have plenty of interests, but also have a day job...and a wife that I like spending time with as well.

That's life for you though, things come and go. Oh,and basketball and soccer are of my list as well but that is because of a macerated meniscus. It is fine for everyday use,but fast cutting moves are not on that list and I would like to keep my original knee as long as possible.

Fishing and waterfowl hunting.

Grew up goose hunting with my grandfather,father and great uncle.dad got out of hunting for a while and other two passed so lost all interest.would love to set up on a field with some deke's at some point,just hard to find the time with work/home life.same with fishing.i may go 10-15 times a season now and used to go almost everyday/few days a week.not enough time in a day!!!bowhunting is my all in!

Edited by doebuck1234
  • Like 1

Golfing for sure. Was into it for a couple of years but haven't gone now in like 3 years. Prob sell the clubs this summer. Don't trout fish much anymore and that was my go to as a young guy. Def also drinking. I might have a beer a week and a 30 pack lasts me all summer.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

For the longest time, my friends and family had an annual trek to Vegas, almost explicitly during my birthday week in July (that was the first random week people could all be off work), and we made it 8-9 years in a row with groups of 10-15 people. Life happens and that magic was never recovered, but wow, was it ever fun. Been a few times since with my current wife and it's a different type of vacation. Was due to go last month for the first time in 4-5 years but it got canceled due to work issues. More bummed about the loss of time away rather than actually going to Vegas.

Used to fish alot more than I do now, with a few friends. Was real big into shore or creek walking spots that were off the path or hidden, etc. We went to great lengths to find them. Ponds, creeks, etc. My friend and I would spend all summer walking creeks in old sneakers, carrying our pole and the smallest tackle bag would could manage with. A few times we waded/walked so far that we had to call our GFs to come get us to circle back to the truck. Pulled species out of places that all common knowledge and written books/mags/websites said didn't exist there.

Honestly, I know alot of posters here say family life gets in the way, but I think alot of our hobbies fall by the wayside because guys don't do the best job at keeping friends/family relationships going and making new ones when life happens/changes.

• Like 2

I have twins with crazy schedules between sports and dance that both leave for college in August. So I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands! Its been said here before but do not miss your kids activities, because someday youre going to miss your kids activities...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Surfing and hockey.

Spent 21-24 in Hawaii while I was in the Air Force. I worked 15 days a months and surfed four or five days a week. Got pretty good after about a year. Surfed some famous spots, Surfing is the best workout in the world and it's free (after you buy the board). I watch movies based in Hawaii and say hey I surfed that break! Certain spots white people aren't allowed unless you do it the right way. At a famous spot (makaha) I actually got heckled by a group of ten year olds when I was paddling to the outside break. 

Tried Surfing in Charleston but it just wasn't the same and forget northeast beaches. I almost drowned twice had numerous experiences with sharks but what I hated was the seals that would mess with you.

Played hockey from 7 to 18 had a scholarship offer to Quinnipiac but didn't have the grades. After the military I played adult league in Charleston, even played against some ECHL players but I didn't enjoy the lack of physicality so it was one season and done. 

Wife bought me stuff about five years ago and I tried playing up here in NY. By then skills had really gone down hill and I didn't enjoy it.

I used to be a class A drunk. Genny beer was my best friend. I was the life of the party, at least until I started blacking out, or waking up in the hospital.

If you drank with me, there was a decent chance I was going to get you arrested, take a crap on your floor, or go head first through a closed window somewhere.

Man did I have fun, or at least I thought so back then.

Went through hell quitting, and God willing, I will have 9 years sober on May 1st.

• Like 17

I used to be a class A drunk. Genny beer was my best friend. I was the life of the party, at least until I started blacking out, or waking up in the hospital.
If you drank with me, there was a decent chance I was going to get you arrested, take a crap on your floor, or go head first through a closed window somewhere.
Man did I have fun, or at least I thought so back then.
Went through hell quitting, and God willing, I will have 9 years sober on May 1st.

Good for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

It would have to be fishing for me as well, used to love trout fishing hell  I knew every hole in the creeks and practically had the fish named. Just busy and want to spend my time at home with my wife and dogs. A couple times a year I take clients on my buddies boat and let them catch all the fish (walleyes) clean them and give them too the clients.  

Before kids I played every beer league in town.. hockey softball soccer kickball whiffleball bowling.. probably others that I can't remember.. used to love skiing.. but now, between keeping up with family events, kids sports, responsibilities as a home owner, etc... Those have all fallen by the wayside.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:48 AM, rob-c said:

Used to shoot 3-D every weekend and shot indoor winter leagues for several years . Really though it’s access to them that’ hampers my interest local club stoped Indoor leagues and 3-D . Son snd I signed up to shoot at a local shop for indoor  and we were the only ones that signed up . I have lost interest in Turkey hunting ,  I bought my tags this years and will go out just not as much .

You broke bills heart with that last sentence 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Golfing-played 3-4 times a week 30-35 years ago. Went back to college, bought s house, and now play once a year in charity tournament.

Stopping by the local bars-I drink less and the bars have changed clientele.

Woodchuck hunting-can't find them in crop fields now, just under neath houses.

Small game hunting-starting coaching football and then became an athletic director and an administrator, as well as a homeowner-no time.

Golfing-played 3-4 times a week 30-35 years ago. Went back to college, bought s house, and now play once a year in charity tournament.
Small game hunting-starting coaching football and then became an athletic director and an administrator, as well as a homeowner-no time.

Coaching football is something I just can’t kick. I love it even though it demands tremendous time during the best time of the year. I may be taking a few years off when my boys head to college if they stay involved in their sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Coaching football is something I just can’t kick. I love it even though it demands tremendous time during the best time of the year. I may be taking a few years off when my boys head to college if they stay involved in their sports.

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

yeah I coach baseball and i'm on the board for my sons youth football league. It's a passion that I have and I struggle to be the parent that sits on the sideline. I kick myself every year when I get overwhelmed with all that's going on in the spring (baseball) and fall (football), that I chose to add this to the list, but I would put it well above just about every other hobby... except, well you know... this one haha.